Page 1 of 48 123 ... LastLast

ESPN says Mangold visiting Bmore

Wednesday & Thursday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: ESPN says Mangold visiting Bmore

It all hinges on the medical reports. If he is judged C+ or better physically, sign him.
    Not much really matters, and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Agreed. If Mangold's ankle looks decent, and he has anything at all left in the tank, then signing him transforms the O-line. We would go into the draft without any gaping holes. We could actually compete with an O-line of:
    Stanley - Lewis - Mangold - Yanda - Nembot/Wesley

We would still need an heir apparent at Center, and we might find that RT is a weak spot. But the O-line wouldn't be an emergency anymore. We could actually play games, with that line.

Or if you prefer, we could also play games with this:
    Stanley - Jensen/Urschel/rookie - Mangold - Yanda - Lewis

Either would be fine, for a pre-draft / pre-OTA depth chart.

I slightly prefer the first lineup, because (a) I've completely fallen for the romance of the Nembot story, growing up in Africa hunting lions, bringing his strength and agility to football; and (b) I think the modern era of A-gap blitzes and pressure up the middle, has made strength and toughness in the interior O-line more important than ever. The game is different from a decade ago. Lewis-Mangold-Yanda are a trio of nasty MFers, and I think you need that in the modern NFL. Also they all have starting experience, so should be able to handle stunts and delays and all the other fun stuff that modern defenses throw at you.

That's IF Mangold's ankle looks decent, and he has anything left.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Agreed. If Mangold's ankle looks decent, and he has anything at all left in the tank, then signing him transforms the O-line. We would go into the draft without any gaping holes. We could actually compete with an O-line of:

We would still need an heir apparent at Center, and we might find that RT is a weak spot. But the O-line wouldn't be an emergency anymore. We could actually play games, with that line.

I slightly prefer the first lineup, because (a) I've completely fallen for the romance of the Nembot story, growing up in Africa hunting lions, bringing his strength and agility to football; and (b) I think the modern era of A-gap blitzes and pressure up the middle, has made strength and toughness in the interior O-line more important than ever. The game is different from a decade ago. Lewis-Mangold-Yanda are a trio of nasty MFers, and I think you need that in the modern NFL. Also they all have starting experience, so should be able to handle stunts and delays and all the other fun stuff that modern defenses throw at you.

Yanda has played at a good level whenever he's started at RT. Remember how well he played in the 2015 play offs when he had to start there due to injuries? Obviously guard is his best position, but he can play tackle. I would still want us to get a RT either in the draft or FA.

How about a line of this...

Stanley-Lewis-Mangold-Yanda-Ramzcyk

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Yanda has played at a good level whenever he's started at RT. Remember how well he played in the 2015 play offs when he had to start there due to injuries? Obviously guard is his best position, but he can play tackle. I would still want us to get a RT either in the draft or FA.

How about a line of this...

Stanley-Lewis-Mangold-Yanda-Ramzcyk
    Exciting days! "Eric, hit his ankle again....!...How'd that feel?"

Ramczyk is not a good 1st round pick, IMO. I like Stanley-Lewis-Mangold (Toth as understudy)-Dawkins or Moton-Yanda.

We need a playmaker in the 1st round.

Can my flock outside Ozzie's winter bedroom window pull this off ??? "Find the gold for Mangold...".
    "Flacco is driving the ball in that wind....."

(AFCCG, January 2013)

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post

Nembot is a great story; I am pulling for him, too.

Is the wizardry in the offing???

(AFCCG, January 2013)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rhapsody View Post
    Exciting days! "Eric, hit his ankle again....!...How'd that feel?"

Ramczyk is not a good 1st round pick, IMO. I like Stanley-Lewis-Mangold (Toth as understudy)-Dawkins or Moton-Yanda.

We need a playmaker in the 1st round.

Can my flock outside Ozzie's winter bedroom window pull this off ??? "Find the gold for Mangold...".
    I wouldnt take Ramcyzk in the 1st Rd either, I value him as late 1st rd/early 2nd Rd, so forgot to mention I would take him in a trade back scenario. I agree that we need a play maker at 16, I think pass rusher more than anything.

There is at chance that guys like Mike Williams and Derek Barnet are all gone at 16, just something to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I wouldnt take Ramcyzk in the 1st Rd either, I value him as late 1st rd/early 2nd Rd, so forgot to mention I would take him in a trade back scenario. I agree that we need a play maker at 16, I think pass rusher more than anything.

There is at chance that guys like Mike Williams and Derek Barnet are all gone at 16, just something to consider.
    Right mate, thanks.

(AFCCG, January 2013)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by houstonravensfan View Post
    It all hinges on the medical reports. If he is judged C+ or better physically, sign him.
    That and the money he's looking for. A bunch of teams have already looked at Mangold. I know some wanted him to move to Guard. I heard the biggest holdup with the Giants was the money they offered him. I have no idea what it was but many times when you see a good player still on the market it's due to unrealistic money expectations.

It's good the Ravens are meeting with Mangold before the draft. That should at least give them an idea of whether he's an option

Blog Entries

How old was birk when we signed him? He played at a high level.

Nothing says "Ravens" quite like a 30+ year old stopgap free agent veteran on offense.

The thing is though...It usually works.

We needed that million dollars from Timmy Jernigan! You get Mangold now you have a three smart interior lineman, and joe has one less excuse. Now all you have to do is add a playmaking WR.