Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

(Alleged) Russia/Trump Scandal

Just wanted this to be its own thread.

Saw on CNN that Mike Flynn will agree to testify only if he's granted immunity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Re: (Alleged) Russia/Trump Scandal

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OhThePossibilities View Post
    Def a lot of smoke.

Nothing substantial has been reported yet though.

I've tried my hardest to stay away from the political thread but man. What a freaking clusterfuck.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I doubt he wants immunity in exchange to throw Trump or others under the bus.

He wants immunity to save his own ass.

I'm confused by the whole Russia thing. There seems to be such a divide in what is actually right or wrong in terms of communication with Russia.

I don't think Russia had anything to do with the election - Trump was elected fairly. I do think there's some shit going on, but there's been so many stories I've lost track of it all.

What a fucking shitshow though.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    I'm confused by the whole Russia thing. There seems to be such a divide in what is actually right or wrong in terms of communication with Russia.

I don't think Russia had anything to do with the election - Trump was elected fairly. I do think there's some shit going on, but there's been so many stories I've lost track of it all.

What a fucking shitshow though.
    I don't agree that Russia didn't impact the election.

I know for fact that Russian actors connected to their government targeted the RNC and DNC (among several other gov agencies/groups). After they were able to get in (spearphishing) they identified mail servers and high profile computers. Then, they start leaking emails that painted the entire DNC (namely Hillary) in a pretty terrible light. I'm sure the emails in the RNC did the same thing, but for whatever reason, they didn't leak them. I wouldn't be surprised if they did leak them down the road at some point.

Bottom line, whether directly or indirectly, the information that was leaked and the non-stop news coverage of it absolutely impacted the election. How could it not have? Hillary was always considered to be highly untrustworthy, but the information leaked from the DNC really solidified it. In addition to her, it also showed how corrupt the entire DNC was.

Now, that's pretty much the extent of it.

The whole "Russian's hacked the election" phrase is terribly misleading because it implies that Russians hacked into the voting machines/voting system and manipulated vote counts. That would be an impossible task because the US voting system is largely decentralized. Voting machines for me, in Maryland, are different than voting machines for HR in Texas, which are different than voting machines in Kentucky, and so on. There are states that use the same type of voting machines/software, but they're not linked to a central server or anything. So, in order to physically "hack" votes, Russian operatives would have had to go to every state and every voting district to attack individual voting machines.

So, logically, what would have more impact and easier to achieve? Target voting machines and physical voting systems? Or, target the DNC and leak a bunch of info?

The question that many, including myself, have is why leak just the DNC stuff? I came to a couple of conclusions...
    1) The stuff they got from the RNC was bland and not scandalous at all (un-fucking-likely).
    2) They weren't able to get into the RNC (don't make me laugh...).
    3) They valued a Trump Presidency more than a Hillary Presidency (Interesting theory and geo-politically, that could make sense).
    4) They did find some pretty damaging info on RNC systems and are holding it as leverage for down the road (Also interesting and not out of the realm of possibilities).

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I don't agree that Russia didn't impact the election.

I know for fact that Russian actors connected to their government targeted the RNC and DNC (among several other gov agencies/groups). After they were able to get in (spearphishing) they identified mail servers and high profile computers. Then, they start leaking emails that painted the entire DNC (namely Hillary) in a pretty terrible light. I'm sure the emails in the RNC did the same thing, but for whatever reason, they didn't leak them. I wouldn't be surprised if they did leak them down the road at some point.

Bottom line, whether directly or indirectly, the information that was leaked and the non-stop news coverage of it absolutely impacted the election. How could it not have? Hillary was always considered to be highly untrustworthy, but the information leaked from the DNC really solidified it. In addition to her, it also showed how corrupt the entire DNC was.

Now, that's pretty much the extent of it.

The whole "Russian's hacked the election" phrase is terribly misleading because it implies that Russians hacked into the voting machines/voting system and manipulated vote counts. That would be an impossible task because the US voting system is largely decentralized. Voting machines for me, in Maryland, are different than voting machines for HR in Texas, which are different than voting machines in Kentucky, and so on. There are states that use the same type of voting machines/software, but they're not linked to a central server or anything. So, in order to physically "hack" votes, Russian operatives would have had to go to every state and every voting district to attack individual voting machines.

So, logically, what would have more impact and easier to achieve? Target voting machines and physical voting systems? Or, target the DNC and leak a bunch of info?

The question that many, including myself, have is why leak just the DNC stuff? I came to a couple of conclusions...
    1) The stuff they got from the RNC was bland and not scandalous at all (un-fucking-likely).
    3) They valued a Trump Presidency more than a Hillary Presidency (Interesting theory and geo-politically, that could make sense).
    4) They did find some pretty damaging info on RNC systems and are holding it as leverage for down the road (Also interesting and not out of the realm of possibilities).
    Yeah when you put it look that I understand what you mean. People seem to frame it more like what you referred to when you say the literal hacking of voting machines. They likely had a role in the email scandal that definitely impacted voters (particularly, created this mantra of getting the crooked career politician out that many voters grabbed onto and ran with).
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    Yeah when you put it look that I understand what you mean. People seem to frame it more like what you referred to when you say the literal hacking of voting machines. They likely had a role in the email scandal that definitely impacted voters (particularly, created this mantra of getting the crooked career politician out that many voters grabbed onto and ran with).
    The whole situation is pretty bad.

Mike Flynn associated with Russian diplomats? So what? It's not a Logan Act violation (as HR pointed out in the other thread).
    Paul Manafort - that could be a little more interesting, but a guy doesn't get paid $10 mill per year (allegedly) to be careless.
    Jeff Sessions - this seemed completely innocent. At least he did the right thing and recused himself from this investigation.
    Jared Kushner - no idea with this one, but he's been involved with the Trump business lines for a while and we know that Trump has had business dealings in Russia. So, it is possible that Kushner (as well as Trump himself, Ivanka, and many others) had relationships with Russian businessmen.

That's a lot of people in high administrative positions.

I just wish Trump had taken the high road to try and get ahead of this. Instead, he's countering everything with the "fake news" label and making some pretty ridiculous claims of "not knowing" anything. Then he creates the whole "illegal wiretapping" scandal, which seemed to be a distraction effort.

Trump is doing himself no favors at this point. That's why the media and Dems are chomping at the bit to try and "get him".

According to (Democrat) Adam Schiff, there is evidence linking Trump administration, Russian operatives, and the election. According to Comey, there is evidence, but he hasn't specifically stated whether or not it implicates Trump.

Thus the smoke (a lot of smoke) and no actual fire yet.

Or 5) Putin hates Hillary and so decided to screw her over for shits and giggles. Given Putin's actions in the past, not an unreasonable assumption.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    Or 5) Putin hates Hillary and so decided to screw her over for shits and giggles. Given Putin's actions in the past, not an unreasonable assumption.
    OR 6). Russia is simply looking to undermine the credibility of US elections and simply did all they could to make them look corrupt.

OR 7) Russia (the state) didn't really hack the DNC and the info was leaked by a DNC insider. All of which were recently fired.

Blog Entries

I really think we are beyond a Logan Act violation. There is a smell of treason in the air. Flynn is going down...hard.

“When the sea was calm, all ships alike showed mastership in floating.”- William Shakespeare