Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ghost's 3 Round Guess, LOL v1.0

Alright, alright, alright... It's time for you all to eat this mock alive with criticism. But this will be fun, because you'll be able to see it round-by-round as we go. I'm doing a three round mock. I'm using Roto's depth charts to kind of add to my short analysis of the pick. Analysis will end after round 1. If you want to ask about a pick in Rounds 2 or 3, I'd be glad to discuss the logic behind it. Alright, here we go...

Round 1
    1. CLE - Myles Garrett, OLB/DE, Texas A&M
    ...uh...duh?
    2. SF - PATRICK MAHOMES, QB, Texas Tech
    THROWING SOME FIRE AT YOU NOW. Okay, all the talk is about Trubisky blah, blah, blah... but when I think of Kyle Shanahan and I try to get into his mind and look at this QB class... there's one guy I want... it's Patrick Mahomes. Now disclaimer: It may not be at #2 overall that SF makes this decision. It might be that they trade up from Round 2 and double dip in the first round and take a defensive playmaker here. But I'm not proposing any trades this mock, and I don't think he lasts until SF's 2nd round pick, so I'm taking the guy now that I think Shanahan can groom for one year as a back-up to take over as the starter next season.
    P.S. if they actually did do the trade up I think they take Solomon Thomas here.
    3. CHI - Jonathan Allen, DE, Alabama
    Depth: Akiem Hicks/Mitch Unrein/Jonathan Bullard/Ego Ferguson/C.J. Wilson
    Outside of the rock solid Hicks, this position is fodder really. Bullard has upside but hasn't proven to be more than a rotational piece. I love Jonathan Allen. I don't buy any of this offseason hooplah about him falling. He's a top 3 defensive prospect in draft, in my opinion. He's an instant impact along the defensive line and he's going to be a huge upgrade on the interior creating a formidable Allen - Goldman - Hicks front with Young and Floyd at outside backer. Matter of fact, this front seven just gets pretty damn rock solid with the addition of Allen and all he can bring.
    4. JAX - Leonard Fournette, RB, LSU
    Depth: Chris Ivory/TJ Yeldon/Corey Grant/Daryl Richardson
    After giving Ivory some big money last year... it has not paid dividends. Yeldon is oft-injured. Coughlin has taken the reigns and grabbing a back with the upside Fournette has provides an instant upgrade to the position and a chance to cut ends on a bad offseason deal last year.
    5. TEN - Marshon Lattimore, CB, Ohio St.
    Depth: Logan Ryan/Jason McCourty/Brice McCain/LeShaun Sims/Kalan Reed
    It's been no secret that Tennessee has been wanting to upgrade their corner position and they pursued some of the top FA CB's rather aggressively walking away with just Logan Ryan, so this will still be something they look to address. Sitting at 5 means letting the best CB prospect draft fall into your lap and going a long way into improving and stabilizing the CB position on the roster for the next 3-5 years potentially.
    6. NYJ - Malik Hooker, FS, Ohio St.
    Depth: Marcus Gilchrist/Ronald Martin
    Bowles is clearly not happy with the safety play they've gotten there in New York. Pryor is on the trade block. Gilchrist is coming back from injury and a potential candidate to be released. Hooker has some of the freakiest range a safety prospect has had that I've ever seen. I really loathe comparing prospects to legends, especially one so dear to my heart, but he really does have Ed-esque range. Bowles adds a potentially prodigious talent to roam the back end of that defense for a long time.
    7. LAC - Hassan Reddick, OLB, Temple
    Gus Bradley's 4-3 defense is missing a piece that Reddick can fill beautifully. It's in desperate need of the "Bruce Irvin" role player at their starting SAM backer.
    Their defensive front of Bosa- Liueget - Mebane - Ingram is going to be terrifying, and you add that explosive presence of Reddick who can also drop into coverage and play the role of their base coverage backer and then add in his ability to blitz or come off the edge and Reddick is a perfect fit in San Diego.
    WLB: Jatavis Brown MIKE: Denzel Perryman SAM: Hassan Reddick
    8. CAR - Solomon Thomas, DE, Stanford
    Depth: Mario Addison/Charles Johnson/Julius Peppers/Wes Horton/Ryan Delaire
    Yes they were able to extend Addison, keep Johnson, and add Peppers. But they still have a big need here at edge rusher. Add Solomon Thomas into the mix and it gives a major jolt of energy, athleticism, and relentlessness to the position and gives them depth THIS year at the position. Just like they double dipped at CB last year and it worked out for them, I could see them double dip at DE this year to bolster the position.
    9. CIN - Garrett Bolles, OT, Utah
    Depth: Cedric Ogbuehi(LT)/Jake Fisher/Eric Winston/Andre Smith (RT)
    Look, they just lost Andrew Whitworth and Kevin Zeitler. Ogbuehi proved last year that he shouldn't be left on an island at LT and a move inside might be best. If that's the case the best LT prospect in this draft makes perfect sense at 9. Move Ogbuehi inside to the RG position vacated by Zeitler and hope he can function better inside and plug-and-play Bolles at LT. Bolles tenaciousness and athleticism will be a happy upgrade for the Bengals and give Dalton a blindside protector he can depend on.
    10. BUF - OJ Howard, TE, Alabama
    If you were to ask me the one player who could probably impact the Buffalo team the most in this draft not named Myles Garrett... my answer is OJ Howard. Look this team's strength is the run game. Why not add one of the biggest mismatches at the TE position with Howard's combination of size/speed/route running and add in the fact that he's a monstrous inline blocker. How is this not a match-made in heaven? Tyrod Taylor is happy. LeSean McCoy is very happy. Howard will make a big impact both in box scores and in the run game.
    11. NO - Reuben Foster, LB, Alabama
    Depth: MIKE: AJ Klein/Stephone Anthony SLB: Craig Robertson/Manti Te'o
    Look, Foster is a top 5 defensive prospect this draft and for him to fall to 11, the Saints couldn't be more ecstatic. Klein is limited and fills that role as a 2-down thumper and Anthony has been a major bust. Ellerbe has given them spotty play at the WLB. Foster can come in and start as your SAM backer from Day 1 and groom him to be the eventual MIKE.
    12. CLE - Mitch Trubisky, QB, North Carolina
    I think CLE will take on the Khalil Mack/Derek Carr model and go with the prodigious talent of Garrett at 1 and then take their QB here at pick 12 after seeing the ballsy Mahomes move at 2 done by SF.
    13. ARI - Jamal Adams, S, LSU
    Depth: Antoine Bethea/Trevon Hartfield
    Does a team run up to the podium faster and put in their selection the way Arizona does with the way the board falls? They lost Jefferson and Swearinger this offseason and they run some of the most multi-safety sets in the league. Jamal Adams is an absolute stud and it grossed me out that I had him fall this far, but he's just what the doctor asked for to fall to them at 13 here in my mock.
    14. PHI - Quincy Wilson, CB, Florida
    Depth: Jalen Mills/Dwayne Gratz/Ron Brooks/CJ Smith/Mitchell White
    They did good to address their WR problem in the offseason, but they've got a huge hole at CB. With the way the board fell they have their choice at who they think the CB2 is or who they have may on the board as the RB2. In this scenario I went with my CB2 to Philly. Wilson adds a physical presence on the outside that coupled with Mills give them some good size at CB. I expect the Eagles to take another corner in this draft as well.
    15. IND - Christian McCaffrey, RB, Stanford
    Depth: Frank Gore/Robert Turbin
    Look, Gore isn't getting any younger and he isn't the same back. Enter McCaffrey who can split the early down work with Gore and be utilized as a dynamic weapon in the passing game for the Colts as their primary 3rd down RB. This team has other needs, but McCaffrey might just be the BPA on their board.
    16. BAL - Corey Davis, WR, Western Michigan
    Depth: Mike Wallace/ Breshad Perriman/ Chris Moore/ Michael Campanaro/ Vince Mayle/Chris Matthews/ Keenan Reynolds/Kenny Bell
    An absolutely unspectacular group and a team in desperate need of an Alpha playmaker. Enter: Corey Davis. One of my favorite WR prospects in the last four years and a player I believe who has real elite potential at the position. I've harped on my love for Davis a lot throughout this forum. So I won't go too deep on my write-up here.
    I, Ghost, the Conductor to the Corey Davis to Baltimore hype train. JUMP ABOARD!

Re: Ghost's 3 Round Guess, LOL v1.0

17. WAS - TJ Watt, LB, Wisconsin
    Depth: Will Compton/Mason Foster/Martell Speight/Zach Vigil/Steven Daniels
    This unit needs an infusion of talent, athleticism, speed, coverage and just a playmaker. Period. I think Watt can play off the edge or play inside and in this 3-4 scheme they play in WAS, I think he could be a dynamic player on the inside creating havoc or even dropping back into coverage. He'd provide an instant impact.
    18. TEN - John Ross, WR, Washington
    Depth: Rishard Matthews/Tajae Sharpe/Harry Douglas/Tre McBride/Harry Seems
    Ross adds a homerun threat and a vertical threat compliment to this team. They need an infusion of talent at the WR position and you could argue that this is a place that would be primed for them to take one of the three best WR prospects in this draft depending which fell to them. Adding Lattimore/Ross in the first round of this draft is adding a lot of playmaking and speed to the roster.
    19. TB - Budda Baker, S, Washington
    Depth: Keith Tandy/ Chris Conte
    Baker, one of my favorite prospects, reminds me of Bob Sanders with range and I think paired with JJ Wilcox gives TB one aggressive, hard-hitting, smash mouth safety tandem that can play off each other well. Baker adds a playmaker on the back-end that TB has been looking for for a while.
    20. DEN - Cam Robinson, OT, Alabama
    Depth: Ty Sambraillo/Menelik Watson/Donald Stephenson/Michael Schofield/Justin Murray
    It's no secret Denver is looking at OL help and I think they take the chance with the high upside of Robinson. Robinson has technique, consistency issues but you can argue that he has the highest upside for the LT position as far as prospects go. Sambraillo has been a bust up until this point and adding Robinson could potentially stabilize the position for a long time if he lives up to his potential.
    21. DET - Derek Barnett, DE, Tennessee
    Depth: Ezekiel Ansah/Kerry Hyder/Armonty Bryant/Cornelius Washington/Anthony Zettel
    Ansah took a big step back, but Hyder was a revelation. Either way, this team was in need of some pass rush and having Barnett fall into their laps... it just matches the best player available ending up filling a major need for this team.
    22. MIA - Marlon Humphrey, CB, Alabama
    Depth: Byron Maxwell/Tony Lippett/Bobby McCain/Xavien Howard/Jordan Lucas
    Miami's CB depth is some of the worst in the league and having Humphrey fall to them at 22 provides a big boost to their secondary.
    23. NYG - David Njoku, TE, Miami
    Depth: Will Tye/Jerrell Adams/Matt LaCosse
    The Giants luck out and have Njoku fall right into their laps. They made rounds with the addition of Brandon Marshall. Adding a talent like Njoku... well to compliment a top 5 defense in this league you've added some big time playmakers at WR and TE with Njoku.
    24. OAK - Dalvin Cook, RB, Florida St.
    Depth: DeAndre Washington/Jalen Richard/Taiwan Jones
    They lost Latavius Murray, but I don't think they were too upset about it. I know they are in the hunt for Adrian Peterson, but I think they'll sit and wait. Cook might present incredible value here and give them a chance at taking a back who has the upside to be a big time playmaker in this league. Washington/Richard are complimentary pieces, Cook has a chance at being special.
    25. HOU - Malik McDowell, DE, Michigan St.
    Depth: JJ Watt/Christian Covington/Joel Heath/Ufomba Kamalu/Brandon Dunn
    I was really tempting to mock Peppers here, but I think they can't pass on McDowell. McDowell, from a talent/size/athleticism/potential standpoint is a top 10 prospect in this draft...easy. Problem is: effort. Enter playing alongside a guy named Watt and Clowney. I couldn't imagine McDowell not living up to his potential here and getting to really blossom. Houston might have the most frightening pass rush with a Clowney - Watt - McDowell - Mercilus front on passing downs.
    26. SEA - Obi Melifonwu, CB, Connecticut
    Depth: Richard Sherman/DeShawn Shead/Jeremy Lane/ Pierre Desir/Neiko Thorpe
    If Melifonwu is there at 26, I can't imagine the Seahawks passing on him. If there's a team who can convert his size-speed into a viable CB and maybe even an elite CB... it might be Pete Caroll and the Seahawks. Sherman/Melifonwu/ET/Chancellor is a physical, fast, scary secondary.
    27. KC - DeShaun Watson, QB, Clemson
    Depth: Alex Smith/Tyler Bray/Joel Stave
    Enter Watson. I think Andy Reid can be enamored with a QB with the upside of Watson and take the risk here at the end of Round 1. With Alex Smith still there, it gives Reid a year to groom Watson into the eventual successor. It's a smart and easy move made by KC.
    28. DAL - Taco Charlton, DE, Michigan
    Depth: Tyrone Crawford/Benson Mayowa/Demarcus Lawrence/Charles Tapper/Damontre Moore
    Dallas has lost a lot of pieces of their defense and at this point they thank the football gods that a prospect like Charlton is still on the board and can help bring a big upgrade to a position of need. The Cowboys could easily go secondary with a guy like Jabrill Peppers or if they wanted to go CB they could go Kevin King... but Charlton is BPA and helps provide a pass rush.
    29. GB - JOE MIXON, RB, OKLAHOMA
    Depth: Ty Montgomery/Christine Michael/Don Jackson
    I know, I know... Mixon a 1st rounder? Pshh... look McCarthy is in a position to truly take BPA and I was really debating slotting Peppers here, but Mixon and his skill set would give GB such a dynamic playmaker. Montgomery being able to keep 88 means he can be lined up anywhere to begin with. Why not add another dangerous weapon that will create massive mismatches as well as add an interior running element they've lacked.
    30. PIT - Mike Williams, WR, Clemson
    Depth: Antonio Brown/Eli Rogers/Cobi Hamilton/Darrius Heyward Bey/DeMarcus Ayers
    Williams is the perfect compliment to Brown and gives the Steelers a real physical presence at WR that they were hoping Martavis Bryant could provide, but he's been oft-suspended. Williams is a top 15-20 prospect and he gives Big Ben another big weapon to utilize in the passing game.
    31. ATL - Forrest Lamp, OG, Western Kentucky
    Depth: Ben Garland/Hugh Thornton/Blake Muir
    On paper now, Matthews - Levitre - Mack - Lamp - Schraedder gives ATL one of the best OL's in the league and that makes Matt Ryan and company very happy.
    32. NO - Carl Lawson, DE, Auburn
    Depth: Cameron Jordan/Hau'ohli Kikaha/Darryl Tapp/Alex Okafor/Obum Gwacham
    Look outside of Jordan, the Saints need to add a pass rusher. Adding Foster earlier in the round and adding Lawson is a big infusion of talent, attitude, and pedigree to the defense. Lawson has proven to be a big time playmaker when healthy.

Round 2 coming in the next post...
    I, Ghost, the Conductor to the Corey Davis to Baltimore hype train. JUMP ABOARD!

Blog Entries

- I don't think Trubisky makes it to Cleveland @ 12.

- If Mike Williams makes it to Pittsburgh we're in trouble. Brown, Bell and Williams.

- Barnett or Corey Davis? I'm leaning pass rush over WR.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ERey View Post
    - Barnett or Corey Davis? I'm leaning pass rush over WR.
    We do need pass rush upgrade. Don't know if any of Correa, Za'Smith, Kaufusi, Urban, Judon, etc. can get the job done, but at least there's a number of players to choose from, who may step up. OTOH, the Ravens IMO are in desperate need of a weapon of offense. We've got zilch, nada, zero players who scare a defense. Dixon, who we were somewhat counting on, is suspended for 4 games. Wallace (solid vet, but free in 2018), Perriman (still waiting for him to break-out), plus a bunch of no-names is almost a laughable WR corps. Ozzie has invested multi-million$ in defense already. We have a lack of anyone who can bring juice to our "O".
    Davis can be that guy and would be my choice @ #16 (if available of course)... Bc

yall gonna be upset when oz doesnt take corey davis

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    yall gonna be upset when oz doesnt take corey davis
    Corey Davis had more drops than Perriman in that barely Div I conference. Meanwhile John Ross been cooking every CB in the nation by five yards! If Ross ain't there you gotta go defense.

So you think Davis is the second best prospect in the entire draft, but youre the only one who knows how good he is?

I'd be really surprised if he gets to us

This is good stuff tho, in all seriousness

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    We do need pass rush upgrade. Don't know if any of Correa, Za'Smith, Kaufusi, Urban, Judon, etc. can get the job done, but at least there's a number of players to choose from, who may step up. OTOH, the Ravens IMO are in desperate need of a weapon of offense. We've got zilch, nada, zero players who scare a defense. Dixon, who we were somewhat counting on, is suspended for 4 games. Wallace (solid vet, but free in 2018), Perriman (still waiting for him to break-out), plus a bunch of no-names is almost a laughable WR corps. Ozzie has invested multi-million$ in defense already. We have a lack of anyone who can bring juice to our "O".
    Davis can be that guy and would be my choice @ #16 (if available of course)... Bc
    It's hard to argue against your logic. But I can't see Ozzie taking a WR with his first pick 2 years apart. Not to mention it's been the defense (specifically pass) that has failed us in recent years. I think Ozzie goes pass rush over WR if two players of equal value are there. I would probably agree if he does that. Hopefully they can fill the void on offense with the rest of the picks combined with FA.

Blog Entries

It's hard to argue against your logic. But I can't see Ozzie taking a WR with his first pick 2 years apart. Not to mention it's been the defense (specifically pass) that has failed us in recent years. I think Ozzie goes pass rush over WR if two players of equal value are there. I would probably agree if he does that. Hopefully they can fill the void on offense with the rest of the picks combined with FA.
    So he won't go wr twice in 3 years but will go edge rusher with a 2 and a 1 in back to back years?

Blog Entries

I might agree with that if Perriman had come out blazing in 2015. Missed his 1st year, then showed some promise in 2016, but not enough to make me excited. Perhaps he will develop, but as of now Perriman is still a ?. So, taking another WR (this one with a better pedigree) won't be that surprising... Bc

I think they need to go WR with their 1st pick if they can get a guy who can develop into a solid #1. Perriman has only shown flashes, 50/50 whether he ever pans out. Where will this team be in a couple years if Wallace moves on and Perriman doesn't pan out? They are in desperate need of young talent at WR.

That said, I wouldn't be at all surprised if OZ goes with pass rusher or LB with the 1st pick with WR top 3 talent still on the board.