Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Matt Skura

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Matt Skura

http://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/201...a-john-urschel

Skura stands at 6-foot-3 and 305 pounds. His most impressive physical feature is his long 35.25 inch reach, as per NFL.com. Skura is built similar to Denver Broncos center Matt Paradis, who was PFF’s top rated center last season. Skura does have a longer reach by almost 3 inches but they have a similar playing style.

Both are smart, physical football players. Many worry that Skura may be undersized to play center but he makes up for his lack of size with his technique and high football IQ. He is not the most athletic guy either but makes up it with his technique and positioning.

Skura was a part of the ferocious Duke offensive line in 2015 that ranked first in fewest sacks allowed in the ACC, according to ESPN. He was named to the first-team All-ACC. Skura appeared in 50 games, including 40-consecutive starts to end his career as a Blue Devil.

I remember a lot of us talking about him last off-season.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profil...ura?id=2555402

Strengths Has good size for a center with a well*-proportioned frame. Uses wide base in both run game and pass protection for balance. Possesses good core strength and body control both in his movements and through contact. Technically sound.

Weaknesses Plays a more finesse*-based game over power. Doesn't generate much push against quality strength across from him. Has just average athleticism.

Pro Day Results
    • 40-yard dash: 5.26 seconds
    • Vertical: 26 1/2 inches
    • Broad jump: 8 feet, 9 inches
    • Short shuttle: 4.57 seconds
    • 3-cone: 7.83 seconds
    • Bench: 30 reps of 225 pounds

Bottom Line Extremely cerebral in his approach and uses his instincts and technique to maximize his overall talent. While Skura might not be the most athletic center, he does play with desired body control and functional strength for the position and he doesn't take many bad losses on a rep. His intelligence and technique work give him a shot to become an NFL starter, and he played guard as a freshman so he might have some two-position versatility.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Re: Matt Skura

Last year I remember one of the issues was that Skura was too light. He needed time in the weight room to put on some bulk. A lot can change in a year. The Ravens have a long tradition of guys coming out of nowhere to become good players. The C spot is open. All the more reason for Skura to fight for it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Last year I remember one of the issues was that Skura was too light. He needed time in the weight room to put on some bulk. A lot can change in a year. The Ravens have a long tradition of guys coming out of nowhere to become good players. The C spot is open. All the more reason for Skura to fight for it.
    Yea, hopefully he bumped his weight up into the 3-Teens.

That would make him pretty competitive I think.

Pretty impressed with his upper body strength for being a lighter guy.

I can't find any good pictures of him what is his lowerbody (backside) like? Hopefully he's really hit the weight room.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    Pretty impressed with his upper body strength for being a lighter guy.

I can't find any good pictures of him what is his lowerbody (backside) like? Hopefully he's really hit the weight room.
    This was his last year at Duke.

Blog Entries

That first write up seems to contradict the 2nd. Ive mostly heard him called a Finesse player, not a physical player, which would agree with the latter.

I got high hopes for him, because the team showed that they have high hopes for him with his bonuses, to move on from their starter and with their lack of urgency to find another C. I think that speaks volumes, but my personal thought is, hes a contradiction to what Ozzie and Harbs have said they wanted this offseason. Hes not a big physical mauler of a C, hes more in the exact same mold as Zuttah and good for a ZBS, imo. I dont have an issue with that, as long as theyre not trying to put a square peg in a round hole.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Really hope the kid works out and wins the center position. Smarts and finesse are very important but he also needs to hit the squat rack IMO.
    If a DT figures out the interior of the line can be bull rushed, it's a long day for the QB

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    That first write up seems to contradict the 2nd. Ive mostly heard him called a Finesse player, not a physical player, which would agree with the latter.

I got high hopes for him, because the team showed that they have high hopes for him with his bonuses, to move on from their starter and with their lack of urgency to find another C. I think that speaks volumes, but my personal thought is, hes a contradiction to what Ozzie and Harbs have said they wanted this offseason. Hes not a big physical mauler of a C, hes more in the exact same mold as Zuttah and good for a ZBS, imo. I dont have an issue with that, as long as theyre not trying to put a square peg in a round hole.
    The big thing is can Skura withstand bull rushes from bigger DT's?

The fact that he has extremely long arms and is clearly pretty strong bodes well for him in that regard.

But yes, it would be odd for Ozzie and Harbaugh to go into the draft with just Urschel, Jensen, and Skura as the guys competing for the starting OC spot. Eerily 2013-esque with just Gino.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

The fact that he has extremely long arms and is clearly pretty strong bodes well for him in that regard.

But yes, it would be odd for Ozzie and Harbaugh to go into the draft with just Urschel, Jensen, and Skura as the guys competing for the starting OC spot. Eerily 2013-esque with just Gino.
    Good point. It does seem like Gino where they thought they had something they didn't.

They could have some intel on Skura that we just don't know or something. Maybe he's killing it in the weight room or something?
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Good point. It does seem like Gino where they thought they had something they didn't.

They could have some intel on Skura that we just don't know or something. Maybe he's killing it in the weight room or something?
    I think the biggest question is can he get push in the run game. I'm tired of these centers where we at best hope they don't get pushed back. We need to be able to run the football inside.

hopefully he's drinking the same protein as James Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

Yea, on the one hand I'd think that the Ravens would have some plan if those three didn't work out, but then there's Gino. They obviously didn't have a plan then.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk