Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Anonymous NFL Scouts Comments on some 2017 top players

Quote Originally Posted by sailorsam View Post
    IIRC Coach Billick used to refer to training camp fodder as 'slappies'. any slappy can win the Trans-Idaho bowl but Flacco has won @ the NFL / playoff level.
    some QBs look awkward but win (Bernie Kosar). Some look great @ college and preseason but never make the jump to NFL (fill in random name).

I wonder; has any big-time NFL QB been a loser in college?
    Jay Cutler was 11-35 during his time at Vandy. That's problem the only notable QB with an extremely poor college record (And it shows).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    My comment was not about QBs winning the NFL but more about winning not being a skill that translates from the college to the NFL. Just because a QB is a winner at the college level does not mean he is going to be a winner at the NFL level if he does not have the necessary skills. It has nothing to do with it being a team sport. Watson gets all the credit in the world for Clemsons success but doesn't mean it will happen at the NFL level. Football is a team sport but a team goes as the QB goes. that is both in college and the NFL. If you team wins a championship your QB is going to be a big reason.
    Watson has also played with better skill players in college then what he probably will play with in the NFL. Clemson has had quite the stable of wide outs the past few years. Hopkins Bryant Watkins Williams just off the top of my head

Quote Originally Posted by Goode05 View Post
    Watson has also played with better skill players in college then what he probably will play with in the NFL. Clemson has had quite the stable of wide outs the past few years. Hopkins Bryant Watkins Williams just off the top of my head
    That happens a lot. Plus it's a different skill set in college. Charlie Ward was a great college football player, Heisman winner even, who went undrafted and never even played in the NFL. There is a long long list of guys who were great college players whose skills didn't translate to the NFL.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

I remember the board bashing Jameis Winston saying similar things and he's been very good IMO on a shaky team that's trying to find it's identity. Same with Mariota. It's going to depend where Watson lands and what kind of support system and coaching he has.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I remember the board bashing Jameis Winston saying similar things and he's been very good IMO on a shaky team that's trying to find it's identity. Same with Mariota. It's going to depend where Watson lands and what kind of support system and coaching he has.
    Winston at least played in a pro style. I questioned his IQ, because of the completely boneheaded idiotic off the field things he did when he was basically the face of College Football.

Mariota was a complete shock to me. I was way off. I knew he was accurate but I thought that was a product of the WR in his offense being open by 5-7 yards (system QB)

Watson screams System QB, but with questionable accuracy, and on a Team thats been loaded with NFL talent at RB and WR for his entire tenure.

Watson screams bust to me. If he's taken 2nd or 3rd round, he cant really be a bust...but as a Franchise QB in round 1....no way Id take him

Winston had terrible character off the field, had better talent surrounding him at FSU (particularly on the OL), and was less accurate than Watson in college.

I'd love to see if there is any justification, whatsoever, for the preference of QB prospects that played in a "pro style" offense in college. (I'd also argue that for the vast, vast majority of college "pro style" offenses, the only real similarity to NFL offenses is a higher frequency of taking snaps from under center)

Watson might not succeed in the pros, but it'll have nothing to do with the system he played in as a collegian, or the talent he was surrounded by at Clemson. It'll all be whether he can learn the intricacies of reading NFL-level defensive schemes. If he goes to New Orleans or Arizona, look out in a year or two.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    Watson screams bust to me. If he's taken 2nd or 3rd round, he cant really be a bust...but as a Franchise QB in round 1....no way Id take him
    Let's hope the Browns don't read your post :) ... Bc

Blog Entries

Charley Cassaerly tweet

I surveyed 22 teams on who was their top rated QB in Draft - DeShone Watson-9, Mitch Trubisky-8, Pat Mahomes -2 , Undecided-3 @nflnetwork

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Goode05 View Post
    All of those guys but Williams were before Watson's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Charley Cassaerly tweet

I surveyed 22 teams on who was their top rated QB in Draft - DeShone Watson-9, Mitch Trubisky-8, Pat Mahomes -2 , Undecided-3 @nflnetwork
    Lol DeShone Watson

I believe old horse face was a loser in college