Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Will the Ravens abandon the FB position in 2017?

With the loss of Juice, and given the fact that we have what, a dozen Tight Ends on the payroll, I could see the Ravens moving away from the FB position and going with more 1 back sets. Especially with a shifty back like Woodhead or Dixon.

I'm totally ok with this idea. I dig watching a lead blocker blow up linebackers in the hole, but I'd rather see this offense changing it's philosophy and not being as transparent on running plays. Trotting a FB onto the field is a sure fire way to signal a run, and although Juice was great catching out of the backfield I don't know if we're catching teams off guard anymore.

Then again, this team has a a proud tradition of impressive Fullbacks. What do you all think?

Blog Entries

Re: Will the Ravens abandon the FB position in 2017?

Harbaugh said they were planning to run a lot of multi-receiver and multi-TE sets.

I could see them going without a FB in the traditional sense.

I still think Boyle could be an adequate replacement in certain sets.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ngata_Ate_My_Lunch View Post
    Trotting a FB onto the field is a sure fire way to signal a run, and although Juice was great catching out of the backfield I don't know if we're catching teams off guard anymore.
    It's a great play action and it works a ton. I think FBs are a great way to supplement early down offense for the reasons you mention above. Aid the run game and a great way to get early down yards in the pass game..

I think they draft an FB to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by LC_Ravens_87 View Post
    It's a great play action and it works a ton. I think FBs are a great way to supplement early down offense for the reasons you mention above. Aid the run game and a great way to get early down yards in the pass game..

I think they draft an FB to be honest.
    I won't argue with you at all. I've loved that we utilized this position in the past, but I wonder if they're making an effort to evolve the offensive scheme. I just wonder if the team could be more successful if they play faked and then didn't pass the ball to the slowest receiver on the field?

2 Tight End formations are just as common in the NFL as I formations with FB used to be.

I dont think the position is valued enough to spend money on, a draftee every 3-4 years is fine

I think there's a chance we'll select a FB/TE in the later rounds this year. There is always a Juice type player in the draft.

With Greg Roman as the new "run game coordinator", I wouldn't be so sure. With San Fran (Bruce Miller) and Buffalo (Jerome Felton) he seems to value a lead blocker and no matter who the OC has been (even with pass happy Trestman) Harbaugh has always had a FB. I don't see that changing now when they want to revamp the running game. I'd like them to look at Freddie Stevenson from FSU as the Juice type of guy or (like Zrebiec suggested) use Taliaferro at FB like he was in college.

Blog Entries

Whatever happened to Kiero Small?
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Harbaugh said they were planning to run a lot of multi-receiver and multi-TE sets.

I could see them going without a FB in the traditional sense.

I still think Boyle could be an adequate replacement in certain sets.
    wicked, This is also my way of thinking. If they can move Boyle (our best blocking TE) around, saving a roster spot @ FB, that could be a win - win for the Ravens... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    wicked, This is also my way of thinking. If they can move Boyle (our best blocking TE) around, saving a roster spot @ FB, that could be a win - win for the Ravens... Bc
    Use Boyle as an HBack
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

FBs can always be found in the later rounds of the draft and UDFA.

They drafted Mughelli, McClain and Juszczyk and signed Ricard as an UDFA. They'll find someone like that or sign a vet on the cheap (see Gash, Leach).
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

I expect to draft one. This is a position where you can actually get a plug and play guy late in the draft. Maybe even an upgrade on Juice's run blocking.

EDIT: I wanted to add the boards draft gurus should do some digging. I bet they can narrow who our fullback will be down to 2-3 guys. I'd do it now, but I'm busy at work and shouldn't even be posting.
    Last edited by GreenWave52; 03-10-2017 at 01:28 PM.