Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: The OL -- Young or Just Bad?

Many times he takes hits because he doesn't slide or move away from the pressure.
    You appear to have a pretty selective memory. It's true that Boller is not the best we've seen at avoiding a rush, but on the other hand, he's also done it plenty of times. Of course, that's largely because he's had plenty of practice.

I've heard this argument that McNair didn't get sacked so much last year because he was so good at avoiding it, but what has happened to him this year? He can't avoid the rush much this season, and can't even stay healthy enough to play. Could the OL have something to do with that?

Of course the lack of respectable pass protection has a lot to do with it, but nooooo, to a certain lunatic fringe segment of fans, it's got to be Boller's fault.

To anyone who has watched the games this year, this is a ridiculous point of view.

One player who has been pretty disapointing to me is Chester.

He just doesn't have the strength and struggles big time with guys that are big and or quick.

Robaire Smith...journeyman Robaire Smith absolutely abused him last week against the Brownies.

I don't know that he is the answer there at C.

Quote Originally Posted by RustonRifle View Post
    Billick is coaching for his job.

Look how long he stuck with McNair when it was clear to everyone on the planet he was finished. I doubt he will be making any moves that benefits future seasons unless it benefits the team in the short term.

I agree however Terry should be a LT and Yanda at RT at this point, I'm not sold on Chester starting over Flynn just yet.
    I don't necessarily agree that Billick is coaching for his job. He certainly doesn't seem the least bit concerned about his job. Besides do you seriously believe that if this team starts out next season the way they have played this season Billick will be any safer? I don't, he needs to get this ship righted and soon and doing the same crap he's been doing isn't the way to do it. This season is lost for all practical purposes, the only thing to be gained is to use the remaining games to do in depth evaluations of personnel. Not the ancient ones who will soon be gone but the guys we expect to step in and replace the guys that need to go. We need to know exactly what we have to work with. Is anyone currently a backup going to step up and become starter caliber or are they just backups. We already know we have a serious need at CB and DE and QB. What other pieces are missing? I know it's hard for those who have paid a lot of money for PSL's and tickets to have to endure more of what they've seen so far this year but reality is that this team has some serious deficiencies and if we don't want a prolonged time at the bottom of the AFCN we may as well bite the bullet now and hopefully look to better things next season. We have lost every division game we've played this year, we've got to take action.

I think that maybe, just maybe we might have some sort of idea of how they may perform next year, if we actually let them line up where we have them planned to, and they actually play a couple of games like that. It was nice to see Yanda back in at RT. JO was easily the weakest link on the line yesterday, and Flynn was close behind. Brown and Grubbs looked good. IT's BEYOND time to see the line they hope to trot out week 1 in '08.
    I understand Chester hasn't looked great yet, but maybe 5 games in a row, sandwhiched between Browna dn Grubbs couldn't do anything but improve his play. If he doesn't improve, a good vet could be brought in for the position in '08.

I still don't understand the reasoning of letting Pashos, Mule, and Vincent walk and bringing in a bunch of scrub rookies as starters. If the Ravens needed cap space they should have cut some dead weight, but you don't let more than half of your starting O-Line walk in free agency and expect a bunch of rookies to carry the load. Whoever came up with that idea should be given a one way ticket out of town. Ozzie, Billick, Forrester, whoever said "hey I think we should ditch these guys that took us to 13-3 and get a bunch of green rookies", well that guy needs to be sent packing asap.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

I still don't understand the reasoning of letting Pashos, Mule, and Vincent walk and bringing in a bunch of scrub rookies as starters.
    I love Mulitalo but he is a mauler with little finesse and that means you can't screen and pull him. Vincent was a stiff. Pashos was overrated. Yanda may be as good already.

And these aren't rookie scrubs. These are high draft picks for the most part and they played well when together at the end of last year. They need to play and get seasoned. They also may need a new OL coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar
    I still don't understand the reasoning of letting Pashos, Mule, and Vincent walk and bringing in a bunch of scrub rookies as starters.
    Are any of the guys you just mentioned playing anywhere in the league?

I think Mule is retired, and it's possible that Pashos and Vincent are backups some place, but these are not starters. And the guys that have taken their place are not "scrub rookies." Not yet, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by highwater View Post

I think Mule is retired, and it's possible that Pashos and Vincent are backups some place, but these are not starters. And the guys that have taken their place are not "scrub rookies." Not yet, anyway.
    Mule is starting for the playoff bound Detroit Lions, and Pashos is starting for the powerhouse down in Jax.

Vincent is in Zona but I am not sure if he has a starting job there.

Pashos is a starter for Jacksonville. Regardless these kids are not "scrub rookies". They are green, draft picks with good potential. Give them time to gel and have a good coach.
    M&T Bank Stadium - Section 513
    Proud Season Ticket Holder since 1998

Quote Originally Posted by highwater View Post

You might wanna check that HW.

Pashos signed a huge deal is the starting RT for the Jags.

Mulitalo is starting at guard for the Lions.

Im not sure about Vincent's whereabouts.

PP

Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar
    Mule is starting for the playoff bound Detroit Lions, and Pashos is starting for the powerhouse down in Jax.

Vincent is in Zona but I am not sure if he has a starting job there.
    My bad -- I knew that Mule had signed with Detroit but I thought they had cut him. And of course Pashos had signed a big deal with Jax, I don't know how I forgot about that. :bag:

I confess I don't know what happened to Vincent, but I don't really care, because he's not any better than the rookies we have on the OL now.

IMO Pashos was the only one of those 3 worth resigning. But I don't think I would have matched that huge contract if I was GM either.

I think the biggest problem with developing the line this year has been a lack of continuity. I don't question JO's heart or interest in playing but I think the line would have been better by now if was IR'ed early in the season. Then you could have Terry, Brown, Flynn/Chester, Grubbs and Yanda playing as group for a while now.

Of course, each of those guys missed games along the way so it's a moot point. :(