Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: What are your doubts about religion/Christianity

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    For me - the story doesn't make sense. The premise is that Mary gave birth to Jesus without there being a father. So the Holy Spirit got Mary pregnant, out comes the baby - boom Jesus.

I guess I Don't know how i can believe that.

NOW I believe in god in the sense that there's a higher power that essentially puts out a form of a code to which I should hold myself and my values accountable for. It's not the ten commandments or anything, but I do believe that I need to conduct myself accordingly becuase there is some form of higher power standing over me and holding me accountable.

I guess I just don't buy the whole story. How did Mary get pregnant? magic?
    That's a great question, and honestly, I have no idea. I have no way to explain the supernatural.

What I would say is more important than that, is the resurrection, which there is great historical evidence for.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    That's a great question, and honestly, I have no idea. I have no way to explain the supernatural.

What I would say is more important than that, is the resurrection, which there is great historical evidence for.
    Not calling out - trying to educate myself - can you show me where I could look? I'd like to read that.

Also a question - is there literal proof that jesus was a real person? I'm assuming yes if there's proof of resurrection.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

There is?

Blog Entries

Not calling out - trying to educate myself - can you show me where I could look? I'd like to read that.
    Sure, be happy to.

For an overview, I'd just watch this.

If you want to spend some time on it. Here is a book to read, I've not read it yet but it's on my list (it's 800 pages)
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B1VG66E...ng=UTF8&btkr=1

Also a question - is there literal proof that jesus was a real person? I'm assuming yes if there's proof of resurrection.
    Whoa.... I said evidence, not proof!

I can read through some of the books I have that to look at the sources and give those to you later (after work)

For me - the story doesn't make sense. The premise is that Mary gave birth to Jesus without there being a father. So the Holy Spirit got Mary pregnant, out comes the baby - boom Jesus.

I guess I Don't know how i can believe that.

NOW I believe in god in the sense that there's a higher power that essentially puts out a form of a code to which I should hold myself and my values accountable for. It's not the ten commandments or anything, but I do believe that I need to conduct myself accordingly becuase there is some form of higher power standing over me and holding me accountable.

I guess I just don't buy the whole story. How did Mary get pregnant? magic?
    So I'm confused. You believe there is a god, But that god is incapable of making a woman pregnant. But then god is capable of holding people accountable to a moral code.

Sure, be happy to.

For an overview, I'd just watch this.

If you want to spend some time on it. Here is a book to read, I've not read it yet but it's on my list (it's 800 pages)
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B1VG66E...ng=UTF8&btkr=1

Whoa.... I said evidence, not proof!

I can read through some of the books I have that to look at the sources and give those to you later (after work)
    Christian's simply repeating their own dogma is hardly evidence.

Seriously, what other conclusion would they come to?

"Oh shit, we had it wrong all along. Christ was never risen. Welp, there goes thousands of years or organized religion"

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    So I'm confused. You believe there is a god, But that god is incapable of making a woman pregnant. But then god is capable of holding people accountable to a moral code.
    I believe there is a god holding me accountable. How does that translate to him being able to perform magic?
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

I believe there is a god holding me accountable. How does that translate to him being able to perform magic?
    How exactly is god holding you accountable then? What power does he have over you to do that? Magic?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Christian's simply repeating their own dogma is hardly evidence.

Seriously, what other conclusion would they come to?

"Oh shit, we had it wrong all along. Christ was never risen. Welp, there goes thousands of years or organized religion"
    How about you tell me another conclusion based on the facts he mentioned? (did you even watch it? it was at least 20 minutes and you posted in 10 from when I posted it)

How about you tell me another conclusion based on the facts he mentioned? (did you even watch it? it was at least 20 minutes and you posted in 10 from when I posted it)
    It's a talk given by a Christian group. They say as much in the first minute of the video. I don't need to watch it to know the outcome, no matter the evidence they provide.

They're biased in their beliefs but trying to spin the "evidence" as sort sort of critical thinking exercise or unbiased research.

It would be like Jews getting together to show Jesus wasn't the son of God or Muslims gathering to show once and for all that Muhammad was the prophet of God. One of central tenants of Christianity is the resurrection. I'm supposed to be swayed that a bunch of Christians showed evidence that the it took place?

They have a phrase for this phenomenon: Confirmation Bias.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    It's a talk given by a Christian group. They say as much in the first minute of the video. I don't need to watch it to know the outcome, no matter the evidence they provide.

They're biased in their beliefs but trying to spin the "evidence" as sort sort of critical thinking exercise or unbiased research.

It would be like Jews getting together to show Jesus wasn't the son of God or Muslims gathering to show once and for all that Muhammad was the prophet of God. One of central tenants of Christianity is the resurrection. I'm supposed to be swayed that a bunch of Christians showed evidence that the it took place?

They have a phrase for this phenomenon: Confirmation Bias.
    So you won't watch it to here the evidence they site, but dismiss it without watching. Got it.

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    How exactly is god holding you accountable then? What power does he have over you to do that? Magic?
    It impacts your conscious. When you do something wrong, why do we have a guilty conscious? I believe it's because I didn't live up to that standard set on me by god. That is a mental thing. Obviously i don't think if I don't live up to that standard something is physically going to happen to me.

Impregnating someone is not a mental thing. It is a physical thing.

Is it that hard to see the difference?
    - Ray Lewis