Page 3 of 279 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: 2017 Free Agency

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Here's where Belichick shows why he's not only the best HC, but one of the best GM's too.

He's got a keen sense when to jettison players, he rarely misses on his draft picks and has the only team in the league where players are 100% held accountable.
    No one has been able to run a team in the salary cap era like Bill Belichick. The total package from coaching to personnel to cap management is almost beyond belief.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AmishlandRavenFan View Post
    Mallet's a FA, correct? Do you think he'll be re-signed, or could you see us making a play for someone like McCown?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    The only time we needed a backup QB Mallet showed he can handle the job. I'd like to keep him. Honestly though it's going to depend on money. If Mallet prices himself too high they won't chase him

I'd be fine with Mallett returning, but if he wants to go somewhere with more likelihood of playing time, McCown would be a good backup for Flacco. I'd rather pay him the vet minimum, or even a million or two, vs a rookie. The cost savings doesn't justify the risk, plus then you don't have to use a pick on a QB since they need depth at other positions.
    Last edited by esmd; 02-08-2017 at 01:49 PM.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Quote Originally Posted by trailhiker85 View Post
    I read on a Browns site that the release of Josh McCown and Tramon Williams frees up an additional $11 million in cap space on top of the roughly $100 million they already had. It's an insane amount. They can shop the FA market quite extravagantly if they so choose. How many FAs will actually want to play in Cleveland is another question.
    Given their people skills, I am sure the Browns can find some new Dwayne Bowes.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    I'd be fine with Mallett returning, but if he wants to go somewhere with more likelihood of playing time, McCown would be a good backup for Flacco. I'd rather pay him the vet minimum, or even a million or two, vs a rookie. The cost savings doesn't justify the risk, plus then you don't have to use a pick on a QB since they need depth at other positions.
    I expect McCown to be a hot commodity. He would be an upgrade for a few teams and I don't think he has to take league minimum. Too many bad teams with too much cap space

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The Patriots have $63 million in cap space. 6th most in the league. That's just crazy
    The Ravens have been chasing the cap for the last 5 years. I am still disappointed the Ravens did not do a big purge last off season. I and I believe Ravor were in favor of cutting all of the big $ veterans on the back side of their career. Basically Webb, Suggs, Doom, Zuttah, pitta and all of the other crappy secondary players. They could have eaten the 28m cap hit on the Flacco contract for this past year and it would have put them in a better position going into this year.

Hoping they cut Dennis Pitta, Shareece Wright, Jeremy Zuttah, Doom, Webb, Watson, Arrington and Lewis. That would put the Ravens Cap space somewhere in the 35m range. I would also consider doing a June 1 cut with Suggs.

At some point the team has to get control of their salary cap. It seems like their is more quality to this year's free agency class. Especially at S & CB. This class before cuts is very weak at the RT spot. Would like to see the Ravens sign Wagner prior to him hitting free agency if possible. Not sure paying a ton for a one dimensional player like Williams makes sense. Couple of options at NT beside Williams in Hankins and Poe who would probably be cheaper options. If They can't agree with Wagner I would look at potentially going after Reif who moved to RT this year and was fairly good in his first year on the right side. He also gives you the ability to move him to LT if Stanley is injured.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I know guys like Bmore hate SporTrac, but I'm posting this because it gives you a general idea of the cap space teams around the league are looking at.......

;)

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Ravor's so mad right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    He's comin' for you too.
    Nah, it's all good. I just prefer OverTheCap because they are frankly far more accurate and they also give proper attribution to the sources of their info. Spotrac rarely does.

But, certainly when comparing teams and Cap space, both provide pretty accurate numbers and a good comparison point.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    ........19 teams have more than $30 million in cap space...that's insane. We are one of only 5 teams that don't have at least $20 million...although we are relatively close at $15.
    The Ravens are - for them, at least - in a pretty good spot, but much of that $15M is going to dwindle with RFA/ERFA tenders and other adjustments (Pitta's NTLBE incentives earned last yr will count as a negative Cap adjustment of $3M just by themselves.)
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by trailhiker85 View Post
    I read on a Browns site that the release of Josh McCown and Tramon Williams frees up an additional $11 million in cap space on top of the roughly $100 million they already had. It's an insane amount. They can shop the FA market quite extravagantly if they so choose. How many FAs will actually want to play in Cleveland is another question.
    trail, this is one dysfunctional franchise. They've had loads of cap space, and draft choices aplenty, but still managed only one win in 2016. I'm sure some sports writer wanting to make a name for himself will call the Browns the 2017 dark horse... only to fall by the wayside with yet another below .500 season and chaos @ the QB position... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    The Ravens have been chasing the cap for the last 5 years. I am still disappointed the Ravens did not do a big purge last off season. I and I believe Ravor were in favor of cutting all of the big $ veterans on the back side of their career. Basically Webb, Suggs, Doom, Zuttah, pitta and all of the other crappy secondary players. They could have eaten the 28m cap hit on the Flacco contract for this past year and it would have put them in a better position going into this year.

Hoping they cut Dennis Pitta, Shareece Wright, Jeremy Zuttah, Doom, Webb, Watson, Arrington and Lewis. That would put the Ravens Cap space somewhere in the 35m range. I would also consider doing a June 1 cut with Suggs.

At some point the team has to get control of their salary cap. It seems like their is more quality to this year's free agency class. Especially at S & CB. This class before cuts is very weak at the RT spot. Would like to see the Ravens sign Wagner prior to him hitting free agency if possible. Not sure paying a ton for a one dimensional player like Williams makes sense. Couple of options at NT beside Williams in Hankins and Poe who would probably be cheaper options. If They can't agree with Wagner I would look at potentially going after Reif who moved to RT this year and was fairly good in his first year on the right side. He also gives you the ability to move him to LT if Stanley is injured.
    The Ravens do the exact same thing the Pats do in terms of the cap. They're just not as good as them. Nobody is.

The FO is not chasing the cap. Ozzie's MO has always been to purge later in the off season then most teams. We have around $15 Million in space now and that number will move, based on who else gets let go, who we sign, etc.

The only problem we face is draft misses. They do eat up cap space since it requires the team to spend more in FA to cover up those draft misses.

I'd consider bring Torrey Smith back if he's cut. That might also allow you to cut Wallace as they're similar type players, although I think Wallace could have an even better season this year after a year in the offense and getting in sync with Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    I'd consider bring Torrey Smith back if he's cut. That might also allow you to cut Wallace as they're similar type players, although I think Wallace could have an even better season this year after a year in the offense and getting in sync with Joe.
    I would not make that move. Cutting Wallace and signing Smith would be a wash financially. Smith, Perriman and Wallace are all too similar. Wallace is a free agent after this year. Better to focus on someone who is complementary to the speed guys they already have.

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    I would not make that move. Cutting Wallace and signing Smith would be a wash financially. Smith, Perriman and Wallace are all too similar. Wallace is a free agent after this year. Better to focus on someone who is complementary to the speed guys they already have.
    I'm definitely in favor of keeping Wallace. It is an option though if they think they can get Smith cheap enough to save them some cap dollars. Personally I think Wallace, Smith, and Perriman would be a handful for defenses to cover, but I do see your point about having the bigger possession type. Kind of like in '12 when they had Smith, Jones, and Boldin.