Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tucker makes 75-yard FG at Pro Bowl practice

Imagine a kick like that at higher altitude. 80+

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.ab3db58a0fdd
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

Re: Tucker makes 75-yard FG at Pro Bowl practice

The team posted it to their Facebook page yesterday.

Impressive for sure, but if you look at the angle at which the ball leaves his foot, there's just no way IMO it would have cleared the linemen had that been a game situation. The further back a kicker goes, the less loft can be used, requiring a more straight line shot.

I do think he can still break the record though if given the chance under the proper conditions.

Another thing is that there is no snapper and holder in this scenario. No matter how good your snapper and holder are, I have to think it is much easier to kick a stationary target than one that is dropped in front of you a split-second before you kick it.

Still, leg strength is leg strength, and Tuck has it to spare.
    "Chin up, chest out."

At some point, there will be a maximum field goal distance, regardless of the human leg (maybe). The question at play would be what the terminal velocity of a football tumbling end over end happens to be, just how much above that velocity a kicker can hit it, and how quickly it will revert back to that velocity. That determines the minimum angle necessary to clear the uprights at a specific distance, which is then combined with the minimum angle necessary to clear an approaching block attempt.

That the previous record (63 yards) was in place for 43 years (matched 3 times) before it was broken (at 64 yards), and 3 of the 5 longest attempts all happened in Denver, tells me we're pretty much there (wind assistance is ignored for the sake of keeping the question one of player ability in game conditions and not one of meteorological consequence).

This is about the same question as breaking the world record in the 100m dash - if there is too much tail wind (anything over 2.0 m/s), the run does not count towards breaking the record. The world record has decreased by 4.8% in 50 years. There is only so much that can be done to overcome physics.

All that being said - 75 yards is 75 yards. We're lucky to have a kicker with one of the most powerful legs the NFL has ever seen combined with accuracy never before seen by the NFL.

Blog Entries

.....make 80 yds and Harbs still will go for it on 4th and 12 in the 1st Q

Can he rush the passer tho?
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

It's really hard to imagine a scenario where this would be attempted in a game anyway. Obviously it would have to be an end-of-half or end-of-game play. And no matter how good Tuck is, your percentage on a hail mary or some kind of 'Stanford Band' kind of play would be much higher than your percentage of making that kick in a game.

And if it's a vanity project in a game that's already been decided, Tuck stands much more chance of damaging his legacy (NFL's all-time most accurate kicker currently) than he does of enhancing it by making that kick.
    "Chin up, chest out."

As awesome as hitting a 75 yard field goal in practice is and as awesome as it sounds saying we have the best Kicker in the league there is nothing exciting about our best player being our kicker. I am glad we at least have 1 position locked down as the best player in the league.

Its about as exciting as watching Mariah Carey doing carpool Karaoke.

Blog Entries

but can he line up like he's kicking it with his left foot and pull off the fake?

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    but can he line up like he's kicking it with his left foot and pull off the fake?
    ugh. Don't remind me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    The team posted it to their Facebook page yesterday.

Impressive for sure, but if you look at the angle at which the ball leaves his foot, there's just no way IMO it would have cleared the linemen had that been a game situation. The further back a kicker goes, the less loft can be used, requiring a more straight line shot.

I do think he can still break the record though if given the chance under the proper conditions.
    Here is the condition
    The fair catch kick is a rule at the professional and high school levels of American football that allows a team that has just made a fair catch to attempt a free kick[A] from the spot of the catch. The kick must be either a place kick or a drop kick, and if it passes over the crossbar and between the goalposts of the defensive team's goal, a field goal, worth three points, is scored to the offensive team.
    The fair catch kick has its origins in rugby football. The rule is considered to be obscure and unusual, as most fair catches are made well out of field goal range, and in most cases a team that has a fair catch within theoretical range will attempt a normal drive to score a touchdown. The fair catch kick is generally used when a team has fair caught a ball within field goal range and there is insufficient time to score a touchdown. At the professional level, the last successful fair catch kick was made in 1976.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_catch_kick

Despite its drawbacks, there are several advantages to using the fair catch kick. Because the defense is required to be ten yards beyond the spot of the kick, the kicker can take a running start before kicking as opposed to the typical two steps taken on regular field goal attempts. Similarly, the kicker does not have to worry about a low snap because the ball is not snapped. The defense is not able to block the kick, allowing the kicker to give the ball a lower trajectory than usual. The fair catch kick would also be of a shorter distance than a normal field goal attempt from the same spot, because the fair catch kick is taken from the spot of the catch, while a typical field goal is taken seven yards back from the line of scrimmage.
    The most recent fair catch kick attempt was by San Francisco 49ers kicker Phil Dawson, who missed a 71-yard fair catch kick on September 26, 2013.
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Quote Originally Posted by Rxdoxx View Post
    I wondered why Dallas opted against trying this just before HT in their playoff game. Bailey is a top 3 kicker.