Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Ravens Hire O-Line Coach

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I am on the fence with this hire.

He's been fired before. He doesn't have a very extensive resume in the NFL. I also am not excited that he is a Chan Gailey disciple. I've never been impressed with Gailey's offenses.

I'm taking a wait and see approach, but right now...I'm not real excited about this hire.

I do like that he is a ZBS guy. I think Stanley and Lewis are ideal ZBS linemen.
    I don't really care about him being fired. He has coached alot of football - over various levels - and has proven to be well thought of in football circles.

I don't know much about Chan Gailey or his offenses. I think his background at GT speaks volumes about his ability to coach up OL. I mean a 1 dimensional team having so much success running the ball is intriguing to me.

Hopefully he pans out and we see a better, more cohesive unit next year.
    "When you go into the lions den, you don't tippy-toe in. You carry a spear. You go in screaming like a banshee and say, 'Where's the son of a bitch?""
    - Brian Billick - postgame after beating Titans in Divisional playoff 2001

Twitter handle: @radams8483

I heard on 105.7 The Fan that John Harbaugh won't hire any young coaches because he's afraid of the threat they may pose to him. But of course, when I hear things I always like to check and see if the facts back them up. Apparently John Harbaugh has no problem hiring young coaches, so he probably picked this guy because he thinks he's a good OL coach.

Attachment 4055
    "Chin up, chest out."

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    I heard on 105.7 The Fan that John Harbaugh won't hire any young coaches because he's afraid of the threat they may pose to him. But of course, when I hear things I always like to check and see if the facts back them up. Apparently John Harbaugh has no problem hiring young coaches, so he probably picked this guy because he thinks he's a good OL coach.

Attachment 4055
    I respect your opinion and encourage a diverse messaging board. Thank you, sir.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Lots of good coaches get fired. His seems to be due to McCoy getting canned, them deciding to clean house on the offensive side of the ball so the new HC can bring in his own staff. Not a concern at all, IMO.

As Gota said, none of us really have any idea on whether he's a good coach or not. We'll just have to see how the line plays relative to their talent level and previous performance.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    Lots of good coached get fired. His seems to be due to McCoy getting canned, them deciding to clean house on the offensive side of the ball so the new HC can bring in his own staff. Not a concern at all, IMO.

As Gota said, none of us really have any idea on whether he's a good coach or not. We'll just have to see how the line plays relative to their talent level and previous performance.
    He was fired after 2015. Mccoy was fired after 2016.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    He was fired after 2015. Mccoy was fired after 2016.
    Well thank you very much for torching my point! Lol....

Or at least the second part. Because let's be honest, good coaches do get fired all the time for various reasons. We fired Zorn and John Matsko, who are well regarded. How many times has Wade Phillips been let go? Plenty of other examples out there.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Blog Entries

We hire a ZBS OL coach and a MBS as senior offensive assistant/tight ends coach?

Looks like our scheme is going to be Hybrid

From Mark's link here http://forum.russellstreetreport.com...07#post1209507
    It must be noted, however, that he is known for his success with the Zone Blocking Scheme (ZBS HERE and HERE). It is important to mention that BOTH McCoy and D'Alessandris have mentioned incorporating ZBS techniques but they have not mentioned a full switch. The company-line is that they "will incorporate techniques that match the strengths of the players."

D'Alessandris has experience and skill teaching both, and it's not a lock that we will be a pure ZBS team moving forward. It should also be noted that for most teams, such a switch is a 1 year transition.
    Don't know who mentioned recently in another thread that he saw both schemes being done on the same play by different sides of out OL.
    Be interesting to see what turns up in the wash .... I'm still firmly in the upgrade C camp though.
    Roman and now D'Alesandris ... ah well both sound Italian ;)
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    Well thank you very much for torching my point! Lol....

Or at least the second part. Because let's be honest, good coaches do get fired all the time for various reasons. We fired Zorn and John Matsko, who are well regarded. How many times has Wade Phillips been let go? Plenty of other examples out there.
    Haha I've just seen it a few times. I thought it at first too until I looked it up.

It was speculated by Beyondthebolt that McCoy was retained after 2015 as leeway for the amount of injuries they had, but they fired 6 coaches after 2015 (John being one of them).

I'm not too concerned about that firing. They didn't fire McCoy but they cleared out their coaching assistants. The problem clearly was not them as the Chargers were underwehlming again.

In re: to the OL play. They went from 32nd in the league in 2015 to 31st this year....so I dont think coaching was the problem.
    - Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Rxdoxx View Post
    We hire a ZBS OL coach and a MBS as senior offensive assistant/tight ends coach?

Looks like our scheme is going to be Hybrid

From Mark's link here http://forum.russellstreetreport.com...07#post1209507

Don't know who mentioned recently in another thread that he saw both schemes being done on the same play by different sides of out OL.
    Be interesting to see what turns up in the wash .... I'm still firmly in the upgrade C camp though.
    Roman and now D'Alesandris ... ah well both sound Italian ;)
    Roman used a variety of schemes with the Bills. Not solely MBS.
    - Ray Lewis

Attachment 4055
    You are not the only member on here that has heard that.....

Attachment 4055
    As McNulty said to Stringer, nicely done.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    Roman used a variety of schemes with the Bills. Not solely MBS.
    All the more reason to smell hybrid

from the Buffalo article here http://buildingtheherd.com/film-room...-22-breakdown/
    The core of Greg Roman’s run game are man/gap plays—the power, counter and trap, but having running back like LeSean McCoy and a mobile quarterback in Tyrod Taylor allowed him to add more zone concepts—the inside/outside zone, read option, etc.
    Just as we run a flex 3-4/4-3 on D. I'm starting to suspect we may be on the verge of a flex ZBS/MBS .... depending on keeping Wagner, it sounds like we have players who could do both (except Zuttah - weak MBS) Stanley, Lewis, Yanda, Wagner can perform either AFAIK
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old