Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Jimmy Smith, a top-10 CB, when healthy (which seems to be rare)...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...-1-cornerbacks

10) Jimmy Smith, Baltimore Ravens (68.5 passer rating allowed)
    It was an injury-riddled season for the Ravens top corner Jimmy Smith, as he played in just 11 games overall. It goes under the radar because he's not as well-known as other top cornerbacks, but Smith is one of the biggest difference makers in the defensive backfield. Smith typically lines up at right cornerback and locks that side of the field down, but the Ravens had some trouble filling the left corner spot. Week 1 starter Shareece Wright allowed five touchdowns and a 116.7 passer rating in the first four weeks alone. Eventually, fourth-round rookie Tavon Young took that position over and proved to be an upgrade, but there was still a noticeable difference in what quarterbacks did when throwing to the right side of the field versus the left:

smith.jpg

Opposing quarterbacks knew that testing Smith was not the wisest course of action, only targeting him 5.5 times per game. Players in his coverage managed a mere 45 percent catch rate, the second-lowest allowed among all No. 1 corners this season. Smith was a master at eliminating big plays, as his 9.48 yards per catch allowed was the lowest among No. 1 corners. Hopefully, we will see a full season out of Smith next year, especially with the Ravens defense back to the height of its powers. He should push for an All-Pro season, if that does come to pass.

Re: Jimmy Smith, a top-10 CB, when healthy (which seems to be rare)...

If we get Kirkpatrick or Gilmore, or Bouye with Jimmy in Free agency, we would have 3 good corners and have the ability to get a major weapon on offense in the draft

Blog Entries

were drafting corners. FA corners cost too much, at least difference making ones. I expect to have a Jerraud Powers type signing in FA, but id expect us to draft 3 DBs, including a safety.
    -JAB

Too bad you can't count on him to stay healthy a full season.

Blog Entries

It was night and day having him and not having him. I even saw a lot of zone on one side while Young played man on the other, and this limits what you can do schematically.

No doubt they will draft a corner and maybe a safety and probably bring in a string of UDFAs as well. Hopefully with this next off season, Smith will come back as his healthiest since the original injury.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by filthflarnfilth View Post
    If we get Kirkpatrick or Gilmore, or Bouye with Jimmy in Free agency, we would have 3 good corners and have the ability to get a major weapon on offense in the draft
    fuck, I think Canady would also help least add depth, but yeah I would like to see a FA signing. I feel like Smith is the new Foxworth.

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    were drafting corners. FA corners cost too much, at least difference making ones. I expect to have a Jerraud Powers type signing in FA, but id expect us to draft 3 DBs, including a safety.
    I hope so. I hope we get a decent 5th round Mcphee type guy as well.

Is there anything worse than having a position occupied by an excellent player that just can't stay healthy? Jimmy is a difference maker on defense and those are hard to find. It's not as simple as just finding a corner that can stay healthy. He's an actual #1 but it doesn't even seem like it because we can't get him on the field for an entire season.

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    You're probably right, but you get what you pay for in Free Agency. It seems like a waste to sign some average to below average db just because they're affordable. We've done that in the past and it hasn't really worked for us.

Jimmy is like a date that doesn't show. You're sitting at the a table at a restaurant watching the clock and they don't show. You think he's there and you look again and he's not. The problem with his feebleness is that Ozzie needs to stock pile corners. The biggest problem is that Ozzie has selected crap for backups. Common man, should any team suffer as much because one player leaves the field? This is plain pitiful. IMO he's missed too much time. He is injury prone. Cut your losses and see what you can get for him. Somebody will take him and we might get someone more durable. Honestly how good is a player that rides the bench?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rygar64 View Post
    Is there anything worse than having a position occupied by an excellent player that just can't stay healthy? Jimmy is a difference maker on defense and those are hard to find. It's not as simple as just finding a corner that can stay healthy. He's an actual #1 but it doesn't even seem like it because we can't get him on the field for an entire season.
    Rygar, you bring up a very pertinent point. When Jimmy Smith is healthy, he's our best shut-down CB. However, in his six years with the Ravens, he has only played in 16 games two times.
    In today's NFL, with rules seemingly slanted towards the passing game, teams need three CBs with starting ability. That includes being healthy enough to play in 16 games... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by Bawlamer View Post
    Jimmy is like a date that doesn't show. You're sitting at the a table at a restaurant watching the clock and they don't show. You think he's there and you look again and he's not. The problem with his feebleness is that Ozzie needs to stock pile corners. The biggest problem is that Ozzie has selected crap for backups. Common man, should any team suffer as much because one player leaves the field? This is plain pitiful. IMO he's missed too much time. He is injury prone. Cut your losses and see what you can get for him. Somebody will take him and we might get someone more durable. Honestly how good is a player that rides the bench?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    You can't just cut your losses and say trade him. Even though he struggles to stay healthy getting rid of him only makes the position more of a liability with him gone completely. Jimmy for 11 games is better then Jimmy for none.
    I get the frustration because I am too with the injury issues but you can't just say bye Jimmy and ignore what it does to the cap when you have nobody else on his level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk