Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ravens Tight Ends

Does anyone else feel like our TEs don't offer much in the way of athleticism? Cause I feel like the Ravens really like that athletic mismatch at Tight End.

I'm not saying that they're bad Tight Ends, they're certainly not the worst Tight End group in franchise history (they're certainly better than the stonehanded 2013 squad) I'm simply saying that our Tight Ends are pretty meh.

I'm happy for Pitta and he's had a pretty good season, but he's on the wrong side of 30 and his prime is beyond him.

Crockett Gillmore has had some good games, but they're few and far between and he's injury prone.

Maxx Williams was supposed to be that athletic mismatch, but it doesn't look like that's going as the Ravens planned. Health has been a bit of a problem for him and he's buried on the bottom of the depth chart.

Darren Waller is a project and while Nick Boyle has made some athletic plays, he's one failed piss test from a 16 game vacation.

I'm not saying that Tight End is our worst position and that the team needs to throw a ton of picks there this year, but if a prospect like Jake Butt or OJ Howard is there when the Ravens pick and they think he's the BPA, I wouldn't object to it.
    Let's win the f**king game.
    Joe Flacco

Re: Ravens Tight Ends

Where the hell you been? Haven't seen you in a while.

As for our TE's, I think we were hoping to have an ideal 1-2 punch with separate skillsets in Maxx and Gilmore with Boyle being a great 3rd.

Those two not staying healthy makes it hard to really know what we have. To me Maxx should be the athletic pass catcher and Gilmore the blocker who can split out too. Boyle has a damn good skillset and they seem to use him as a blocker too.

Waller is nothing special IMO.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post

As for our TE's, I think we were hoping to have an ideal 1-2 punch with separate skillsets in Maxx and Gilmore with Boyle being a great 3rd.

Those two not staying healthy makes it hard to really know what we have. To me Maxx should be the athletic pass catcher and Gilmore the blocker who can split out too. Boyle has a damn good skillset and they seem to use him as a blocker too.

College makes it harder to be here day in and day out. The problem with Maxx is that even without injuries, we weren't seeing much of him. Last year he only started to get more attention because Crockett went down and this year he was fourth on the depth chart before he went down. 2017 is starting to look critical for him.
    Joe Flacco

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticfury View Post
    College makes it harder to be here day in and day out. The problem with Maxx is that even without injuries, we weren't seeing much of him. Last year he only started to get more attention because Crockett went down and this year he was fourth on the depth chart before he went down. 2017 is starting to look critical for him.
    a) He was 4th on the depth chart because he was dealing with a chronic knee injury that eventually IR'ed him.

b) Last year he had the best season of any TE we've ever had. Better than say Gilmore or Pitta among others.

Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    a) He was 4th on the depth chart because he was dealing with a chronic knee injury that eventually IR'ed him.

b) Last year he had the best season of any TE we've ever had. Better than say Gilmore or Pitta among others.
    Williams did not have the best season of any Ravens TE. He set a team record for rookie receptions (which might have been because of injuries to Gillmore and Pitta) but it was not the best. He had 32 catches for 268 yards and one measly touchdown. He had a lot of catches, but he didn't do very much with them.
    Joe Flacco

Blog Entries

I don't know. At this point I just want to see a more physical, athletic presence there.

Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post

Uhhhh have you ever heard of a guy named Shannon Sharpe or this other dude named Todd Heap????:insane:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    Uhhhh have you ever heard of a guy named Shannon Sharpe or this other dude named Todd Heap????:insane:
    He must have meant best rookie season.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post

The 1-2 punch was supposed to be Watson and Pitta. And given Trestman's affinity for TE's, there was a third punch of Boyle and Gillmore rotating.

The problem became injuries and, in Boyle's case, suspension. We had to rely on guys who were either too raw or too deep on the depth chart to contribute.

As for the OP, their athleticism as a unit is fine. It's injuries that hurt us more than anything.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticfury View Post
    Williams did not have the best season of any Ravens TE. He set a team record for rookie receptions (which might have been because of injuries to Gillmore and Pitta) but it was not the best. He had 32 catches for 268 yards and one measly touchdown. He had a lot of catches, but he didn't do very much with them.
    fury, so right, and that translated into an 8.4 YPC average. I'm not knocking Maxx, but with 2016 a total loss, he better show something in 2017. Ozzie spent a 2nd on this guy (IIRC we traded up too), and most were happy to get him... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    I don't know. At this point I just want to see a more physical, athletic presence there.
    Agree - Other than Gilmore, it seems like all of our tight ends are either decent receivers (Pitta, Maxx, Waller)or good blockers (Boyle) but not really good at both. Maybe Watson is, but hard to tell based on the one play he was in this year.

Blog Entries

Definitely lacking in dynamic ability. Definitely.

Waller could be that guy because he's probably the most athletically gifted of the TE's, but he is inconsistent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.