Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Keep 'em, cut 'em, extend 'em?

Below is the list of players that for next year could be cut and return substantial cap savings if the team chooses to do so. You won't find Flacco or Jimmy Smith or Yanda or Suggs or Weddle or this year's rookies here:

1. Doom- Cap hit $8.375M. Cut him-$2.375M in dead money and $6M in cap savings

2. Mike Wallace- Cap hit $8M. Cut him-$2.25M in dead money and $5.75M in cap savings

3. Dennis Pitta- Cap hit $7.7M. Cut him-$3.3M in dead money and $4.4M in cap savings

4. Webb- Cap hit $7.5M. Cut him-$2M in dead money and $5.5M in cap savings

5. Shareece Wright- Cap hit $5.33M. Cut him-$2.66M in dead money and $2.66M in cap savings

6. Zuttah- Cap hit $4.67M. Cut him-$2.214M in dead money and $2.392M in cap savings

7. Ben Watson- Cap hit $4M. Cut him-$1M in dead money and $3M in cap savings

8. Kyle Arrington- Cap hit $2.766M. Cut him-$666K in dead money and $2.1M in cap savings

9. Kendrick Lewis- Cap hit $2.266M. Cut him-$466K in dead money and $1.8M in cap savings

There are currently 44 players under contract for 2017. The current cap situation is that we have a little over $14M going into the offseason. Of course the team needs more than 44 players so we don't really have $14M in cap space. (Right now, 12/26/2016, the team has a little over $2.7M in cap space.)

The above nine current veteran players could each save the team at least $1M in cap money. If you cut them all you would save $33.6M.

Of course you would need to replace them but obviously some are more replaceable than others. Would you want to extend any of them, this kicking their cap hit to future years?

If it were me the only one I'd keep would be Webb who really turned it on the second half of the season-including the Steelers game. (Not every defender had a bad game there.) Webb's cap hit for 2017 is actually $2M less than it is in 2016.

2017 is also the last year of his contract so there's some temptation to extend him a year or two, But I'd try to resist it unless he took an overall pay cut.

You? What would you do?

Re: Keep 'em, cut 'em, extend 'em?

i would try to extend wallace.
    ask webb and pitta to take pay cuts. webb should not be a starter but a very good back up.
    id try to extended wright bc hes cheap and corners are hard to find and he knows our system.

everyone else can go.

Blog Entries

Webb is undoubtedly a starter and I don't know how you can say otherwise. Not every player at every position is going to be Top 5 at his spot. That said, he likely will need to take a pay cut to stay on the team.

1. Doom- Cut, no question

2. Wallace- Harder to say. Don't really trust him to give him an extension but we have little at WR and he did get a 1000 yards so I guess you almost need to keep him at that number.

3. Pitta- Cut please. I loved Pitta but to me he is one of the problems with the offence. I feel he is getting the ball force fed to him which isn't good when your a player that rarely makes a dynamic play. I feel he needs to go not only for his cap number (which could potentially be negotiated down) but to make room for the younger guys like Maxx and Boyle. Gilmore has shown potential to be a dynamic TE but unfortunately he cannot stay healthy. Waller is fine as a backup to me.

4. Webb- Addressed above. Renegotiate with maybe a 2 year extension. He should be playing on a cap number around 3m.

5. Wright- Early in the season I thought cut for sure but now I'm not too convinced. He isnt great but I don't think you'll find anything better for the 2.5m in savings that cutting would create and we lack corner depth. Not sure either way at this point.

6. Zuttah- Cut. Really hoping to draft a decent Center or go after someone like Paradis in FA.

7. Watson- Cut. Thought the signing was a bit of a head scratcher in the first place but I don't think you can rely on an old TE coming off major Achilles. Perhaps he'd come back and play for Vet min? Who knows. Even though I didn't love the signing I was still hopeful he'd have an impact this year. He still can next year but I think he for sure needs to be playing for the minimum.

8. Arrington- I always forget he's still around. This might be a more obvious cut than Doom.

9. Lewis- Nevermind, this one is even more obvious than Arrington

All in all, I think we can save around 22m in cuts and restructures. I think we should have enough room between that, another 10m rise in the salary cap, and the success of so many cheap rookies from the last draft class to make some moves this offseason. I don't think we can expect a blockbuster signing but hopefully another Weddle-esque move, retain our best free agents in Williams and Wagner (if not Wagner then please sign Paradis or some O-linemen). If Flacco plays next year like he did in the last 1/4 of this season then I think we have a very good shot at winning the North next year.

Blog Entries

Wright is going to stay at least through camp. Corners are impossible to find and he's been playing every time there is a need. If Wright is terrible in the preseason he could be cut but he'll get that shot to stay on the team even at his salary.

I think the team like Zuttah. The fans don't but I've never seen any evidence that Zuttah would be on the hit list. He's pretty cheap for a veteran starting Center and really a value play.

Wallace is the interesting one. As Flacco has gotten better this season Wallace has been less and less a part of the offense. Is that by design or just the way it's worked out? Looking at the number of targets per game, they haven't changed. I think it's scheme. Wallace had 1 TD since week 2. If Marty stays I don't think he's a fit at that price. I agree with others than an extension probably makes sense but looking at the poor free agent market it would have to be sizable for Wallace to agree. If he hits the market he's getting some solid offers based on the lack of WR competition.

The others are all gone. Maybe some get offered pay cuts but they aren't staying at their current numbers. Doom finally started getting back to his old self this past month. It's a shame

Blog Entries

Keep Wallace and pitta. Maybe Webb.

Everyone else listed can go.

Blog Entries

The Ravens really need to get better at managing the cap. Every year it seems like they are dealing with cap issues.

Blog Entries

I don't think they want to cut Wallace, but I also think they have way too many questions at receiver to cut him even if they did want to. That's a high number, but if you cut him, you are looking at Perriman and someone like Aiken (who is a FA himself), Moore, Campanaro, possibly a drafted guy, as their receivers. If you look at FA, you'd probably be paying about the same for someone who isn't as good. Even if you believe Perriman makes a big jump next year, in no way is that anywhere close to an acceptable group of receivers. It would be 2013 all over again.

Same goes for Webb, honestly. Who do they have to fill his spot? Nobody behind Webb is a starter level player. Who are the FA there and could you get someone with a better price/performance ratio? I don't really trust them drafting one at this point. That might be something they just have to bite the bullet on.

I think Wright stays too. Zuttah I think will depend on the draft.

The others should be gone.

Blog Entries

The reality is that $8 million for Wallace probably is market value. He's still one of the fastest players in the NFL. He'll be coming off a 1000 yard season with good YPC. $8 million for next year is reasonable. There are a lot of other places to cut first

Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    Below is the list of players that for next year could be cut and return substantial cap savings if the team chooses to do so. You won't find Flacco or Jimmy Smith or Yanda or Suggs or Weddle or this year's rookies here:

1. Doom- Cap hit $8.375M. Cut him-$2.375M in dead money and $6M in cap savings

2. Mike Wallace- Cap hit $8M. Cut him-$2.25M in dead money and $5.75M in cap savings

3. Dennis Pitta- Cap hit $7.7M. Cut him-$3.3M in dead money and $4.4M in cap savings

4. Webb- Cap hit $7.5M. Cut him-$2M in dead money and $5.5M in cap savings

5. Shareece Wright- Cap hit $5.33M. Cut him-$2.66M in dead money and $2.66M in cap savings

6. Zuttah- Cap hit $4.67M. Cut him-$2.214M in dead money and $2.392M in cap savings

7. Ben Watson- Cap hit $4M. Cut him-$1M in dead money and $3M in cap savings

8. Kyle Arrington- Cap hit $2.766M. Cut him-$666K in dead money and $2.1M in cap savings

9. Kendrick Lewis- Cap hit $2.266M. Cut him-$466K in dead money and $1.8M in cap savings

There are currently 44 players under contract for 2017. The current cap situation is that we have a little over $14M going into the offseason. Of course the team needs more than 44 players so we don't really have $14M in cap space. (Right now, 12/26/2016, the team has a little over $2.7M in cap space.)

The above nine current veteran players could each save the team at least $1M in cap money. If you cut them all you would save $33.6M.

Of course you would need to replace them but obviously some are more replaceable than others. Would you want to extend any of them, this kicking their cap hit to future years?

If it were me the only one I'd keep would be Webb who really turned it on the second half of the season-including the Steelers game. (Not every defender had a bad game there.) Webb's cap hit for 2017 is actually $2M less than it is in 2016.

2017 is also the last year of his contract so there's some temptation to extend him a year or two, But I'd try to resist it unless he took an overall pay cut.

You? What would you do?
    Bye Doom. He's done.

Wallace, cut and possibly resign to team friendly deal? If not, he can kick rocks.

Pitta, bye. Need to get bigger, stronger faster at TE.

Webb? Bye, hopefully resign to team friendly deal.

Shareece Wright? Get the motherfuck out right fucking now!

Zuttah? Bye, we need a mauler at center.

Ben Watson? Bye, we don't know how a 37 year old who has never played with the team will react to a major injury.

Kyle Arrington? Get the motherfuck out right fucking now!

Kendrick Lewis? Get the motherfuck....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Webb Doom Pitta and unfortunately Suggs unless we can restructure for the cheap should probably be cut extend Wallace resign Wagner get younger and faster at pass rush through draft.

Blog Entries

Zuttah can pound pavement too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    Zuttah can pound pavement too.
    I've never seen a so called veteran center allow so much goddamn A gap pressure in my fucking life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk