Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: It's Official -- Ravens Will Play Road Game in London!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Thanks for the link. I see that there is a rail station a few blocks from Wembley Stadium. Is that station for surface level commuter train (as opposed to the Underground "Tube")? Would you please elaborate on rail & tube service available to Wembley. Also, your comment about stopping service at midnight ... what time would a typical Wembley Stadium game end?
    There are 2 stations near Wembley- Wembley Park is the Underground station that starts at the bottom of Wembley Way (the famous walk to the stadium) leading directly to the stadium and that's the one we use. Wembley Central is both the Overground surface level train and less direct Bakerloo Line (Brown route) Underground line. I can''t say I use this one so can't give too many details on it and depending obviously on where you're staying, I would recommend the Metropolitan Line (Maroon route) as it's the quicker of the 2 from Central London (downtown) that stop at Wembley Park.

The time the game ends is a bit up in the air at the moment. if it's a 1pm UK time game then it would be around 4pm, but if it's moved back to 6pm UK time, it would be 9pm or so which would be a little trickier but unless you plan to stick around the stadium (they have shown Redzone in the 'Fan Park' post game before), then it shouldn't be much of a problem. Getting back into Central London post game isn't actually that bad as they put on extra Underground trains at Wembley Park (and I assume would do the same at Wembley Central) for events.

Another vote for Premier Inn Westminster here. I swear by it and recommend it to anyone trying to do London on a budget. It's right across the Thames from Houses of Parliament next to the London Eye. Jubilee Tube line goes from Westminster station direct to Wembley Park, so no changes necessary. Reasonable rates and the rooms are decent.

Quote Originally Posted by FellsPointRaven View Post
    There are literally hundreds and a load of good ones. If booking independently, I'd just search for anywhere between Victoria and Covent Garden (as that's where most of the fun is) and find best room rate after double checking reviews on Trip Advisor. Most hotels allow free cancellation up to 24 or 48 hrs beforehand.
    Is there a particular Marriott property you'd recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Leaning towards the St Pancras Renaissance Hotel on Euston Street.

Ravenblue - know anything about this particular hotel?
    I've never stayed here, but it is a truly, truly beautiful building and location wise is excellent. It's right next to both Kings Cross and St Pancras Station so if you're planning on extending your stay to other areas of the UK and travelling by train it's perfect (There are direct lines all the way to Edinburgh). Most Underground lines also run through Kings Cross/St. Pancras station so it's easy to get around London itself from here and it's not even that far to walk into downtown should you feel so inclined.

I would consider the Leicester Square/Picadilly Circus area to be the most 'central' reference for London if anyone's interested in getting their overall bearings.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenblue View Post
    I've never stayed here, but it is a truly, truly beautiful building and location wise is excellent. It's right next to both Kings Cross and St Pancras Station so if you're planning on extending your stay to other areas of the UK and travelling by train it's perfect (There are direct lines all the way to Edinburgh). Most Underground lines also run through Kings Cross/St. Pancras station so it's easy to get around London itself from here and it's not even that far to walk into downtown should you feel so inclined.

I would consider the Leicester Square/Picadilly Circus area to be the most 'central' reference for London if anyone's interested in getting their overall bearings.
    That sealed it for me! Thanks!

Room booked!

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Is there a particular Marriott property you'd recommend?
    The London Marriott County Hall is probably a good bet. Next to the London Eye and across from Big Ben. https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_...n_England.html

Quote Originally Posted by FellsPointRaven View Post
    The London Marriott County Hall is probably a good bet. Next to the London Eye and across from Big Ben. https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_...n_England.html
    Thanks!

I booked at the St Pancras Renaissance for now but will keep that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenblue View Post
    Jags have an agreement to play 1 Home game per year at Wembley so it counts as one of our 8 road games, which is great. Although they do a great job of getting the largely neutral crowd behind the 'home' team with flags and announcements and it does work more than you'd think (bar fans of the 'away' team/rivals), it's nowhere near as intense as a road game in the States, unsurprisingly. It can only be a positive for us.
    It actually stinks in the grand scheme of things because we generally have a HUGE turnout when the games are physically in Jacksonville.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenboy2003 View Post
    It actually stinks in the grand scheme of things because we generally have a HUGE turnout when the games are physically in Jacksonville.
    It's a fair point and there are certainly better games to have spent our 'neutral field advantage' on. The Jags are also becoming one of the most popular teams in the UK by virtue of the regular games. They've only won 2 of them though, vs Bills in 2015 and the Colts this year.

Blog Entries

As long as it's a road game then it's all good

For those of you wondering about public transport around London from different areas, this is useful in giving a rough guide to routes and travel times. As I said in a previous post, Wembley Underground stations are Wembley Park and Wembley Central.

https://tfl.gov.uk/plan-a-journey/

The good thing about UK sports events is that the stadiums are far easier to get to on public transport (I still have nightmares of my trip back from University of Phoenix Stadium back to downtown Phoenix in 2015!) and I wouldn't even dream of driving to Wembley- it's not like the US where there are car parks (sorry, parking lots) near stadiums and tailgating isn't really a 'thing' over here, at least not in the traditional sense, as pregame is more of a pub scene.