Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: It's Official -- Ravens Will Play Road Game in London!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    well, itll be nice to watch an entire game before the rest kickoff on sunday.

Do we know for sure this is an away game? because if it takes away a home game, i actually view it as a negative. I know theyre calling it a "road game" but technically it is for both teams.
    Jags have an agreement to play 1 Home game per year at Wembley so it counts as one of our 8 road games, which is great. Although they do a great job of getting the largely neutral crowd behind the 'home' team with flags and announcements and it does work more than you'd think (bar fans of the 'away' team/rivals), it's nowhere near as intense as a road game in the States, unsurprisingly. It can only be a positive for us.

Quote Originally Posted by FellsPointRaven View Post
    The UK Ravens have been talking about putting together a social event or two in London for Ravens fans to congregate - including potential pre-game tailgate party.
    Count on two or more to join in. What's the typical late September weather? Our visits have been blessed by cold rains.

Hopefully, PSL owners will get the first crack at tickets.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Strongly recommended getting up to Ireland for those of you going and making a full-blown vacay out of it.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    That pic I posted is straight from the team. It's a road game. Meaning, we are not losing a home game.
    I always feel bad for the "home" team. You lose any home field advantage with these games.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenblue View Post
    Jags have an agreement to play 1 Home game per year at Wembley so it counts as one of our 8 road games, which is great. Although they do a great job of getting the largely neutral crowd behind the 'home' team with flags and announcements and it does work more than you'd think (bar fans of the 'away' team/rivals), it's nowhere near as intense as a road game in the States, unsurprisingly. It can only be a positive for us.
    maybe. Its something, but its not the same as staying at your own house, with your family before the game. I do see it as only a positive for the "visiting" team.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    well, itll be nice to watch an entire game before the rest kickoff on sunday.

Do we know for sure this is an away game? because if it takes away a home game, i actually view it as a negative. I know theyre calling it a "road game" but technically it is for both teams.
    Maybe. There's talk of making the games matchup with the 1:00ET games http://www.sbnation.com/2016/11/20/1...am-time-change

I've got a trip to Scotland (and a tee time at the Old Course.. not sure how I pulled that one off) in June.. don't think I can swing two trip. Should be a blast though.

See you all there. I'll hop over from Northern Ireland with the better half.

[QUOTE=Mista T;1185091]Count on two or more to join in. What's the typical late September weather? Our visits have been blessed by cold rains.
    QUOTE]

Not normally too bad- Wembley also seems to hold the temperature reasonbly well and I've normally been ok with a t shirt and jersey at the Sept/early Oct games. It's late October when it can start to get colder and wetter. Having said that, UK weather is known for it's unpredictability!

Can some of our UK brethren recommend hotels?

I am hoping to stay at a Marriott property in North central London and take the tube to the game. I understand there's very little to do around the stadium itself and it's best to stay in North central London.

I am hoping to stay at a Marriott property in North central London and take the tube to the game. I understand there's very little to do around the stadium itself and it's best to stay in North central London.
    I like to use Premier Inn to find places to stay in London.

http://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/emai...T_RID=18608519

If only you and Miss HR are going and don't mind forgoing a lot of amenities for a much cheaper price, I suggest the hub by Premier Inn London Westminster.

http://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/hote...TTYP1=DB&SID=4
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

I'll struggle to recommend hotels as normally stay in hostels as we're only there for a night or 2 and literally drop our bags then return for a few hours sleep. I can recommend areas though and it largely depends what you want to do/see while you're over. Public transport is actually pretty good in London as the Tube is excellent (I'm sure giggles will be had aplenty at the regular 'Mind the gap...' announcements!). The only issue is that they currently stop around midnight apart from Friday and Saturday nights, and only on certain lines. This should help https://tfl.gov.uk/maps/track/tube?s...Map=night-tube

You're correct in that there's not a huge amount to do around the Wembley area (although it has seen major renovations the past few years so new shopping centre and restaurants etc) so if you're hear for more than just the game, staying elsewhere would definitely be better, and a lot of the pregame stuff- There will be a big event in central London featuring 'Legends' of each team on the Saturday and on Saturday evening there will be various parties for each team.

Overall it won't matter where you stay although I would recommend somewhere no more than a few Tube stations outside central London would be best, simply for ease of access as cabs are very expensive if the Tube is unavailable.

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    I like to use Premier Inn to find places to stay in London.

http://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/emai...T_RID=18608519

If only you and Miss HR are going and don't mind forgoing a lot of amenities for a much cheaper price, I suggest the hub by Premier Inn London Westminster.

http://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/hote...TTYP1=DB&SID=4
    Thanks and I will keep them in mind if we can't find a Marriott property.

We are in Marriott's Vacation Club and will need to use points for this trip. And I am flying solo on this one. :)

Quote Originally Posted by filthflarnfilth View Post
    Too volatile in the world to go to Britain
    Oh good lord...