Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: OT. Health Nuts/Workout thread

Quote Originally Posted by nickh0801 View Post
    See, that 's what has me concerned on them saying at least a gallon a day. I've always been told the body needs 64oz a day and here they are saying to drink at least 128. I've heard and read so many contradictory things that I have no clue what is right or wrong, or where to start. That covers workouts, meals, do cardio to don't do cardio, you name it. I've read things both for and against it all that it's all confusing.
    See my above equation.

Create a calorie deficit and you'll lose weight. There's nothing wrong with cardio. There's nothing wrong with strength training. Do either or both, eat well and you'll lose weight.

Dont get caught up in the minutiae.

Quote Originally Posted by nickh0801 View Post
    Thanks man. I've really approached as a lifestyle change and not a diet. This has been sustained for a year now and it's just the way I eat. NOTE: I still eat like shit on weekends and I Drink beer, but I'm so disciplined during the week that it's still effective.

Awesome story on your path so far!! Great job on the weight loss! I would love to get a daily meal plan idea. Other than eating lean meats and the good veggies (no white potatoes or other starches) I dunno where to start.
    So a typical day this would be my meal. Note: I ate really repetitive shit for a long time. Like same shit different day.

Breakfast (7am): Protein shake (New Zealand Whey Protein + Handful of strawberries + TBSP all-natural peanut butter

Mid-morning (10am): banana and a handful of almonds

Lunch (12:30pm): homemade chilli (ground turkey, onion, peppers and mushrooms fried and then put into tomato sauce, diced tomoatos and dark red kidney beans - no salt - made about 4 servings)

After work / pre-workout (4:30): two eggs scrambles, half an avacado cut up and homemade salsa

Kickboxing: 6-7
    Ju Jitsu: 7-8

Dinner (9): BBQ chicken (Natural spiced), quinoa and salad with olive oil based dressing.

So you see essentially what I did, very low carb except post-workout.

When I did lift in the morning I would do pretty much the same except I would have a shake before I workout and then some steel cut oats with fruit and yogurt after (No carbs at dinner if I did that).

The one thing I'll stress is everyone is different. Sometimes thing work (like fasting) that don't for others. Find out what works for YOU
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    That's called not snacking.

Fasting is sustained periods of not eating.

Fighters and wrestlers do it all the time to make weight and the second they sit down for a meal or have some water, they blow back up above weight.

If you want short term results at the sake of your health (because its not natural to not eat), yes, fasting will cause you to lose weight. But then again, so does heroin.
    Like I said. Intermittent fasting. Can be within the day, or alternating days. It is documented to improve health markers as well.

Here is an article that talks about the benefits with links back to sources.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/healt...ttent-fasting/

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Weight Watcher and the Apple Health App's are fantastic ways of watching your food intake.

Both make it simple to track and factor in your workouts, compensating for the increased food intake you will need.

You will always be at a deficit but not in a unhealthy way. Once you reach your goal weight, both apps have a "Maintain" feature and adjust the plans to you will maintain that goal weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    Like I said. Intermittent fasting. Can be within the day, or alternating days. It is documented to improve health markers as well.

A colleague of mine does that. He's a crossfit guy and he claims it works.

Hey if it's working and you see progress, do what you gotta do!
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

Fwiw, hiit is awesome for burning fat. If you are trying to build muscle you have to be careful with your cardio choices since endurance activity breaks down muscle. Most of the deficit as HoustonRaven mentioned comes from cleaning the diet up though.

Fwiw, hiit is awesome for burning fat. If you are trying to build muscle you have to be careful with your cardio choices since endurance activity breaks down muscle. Most of the deficit as HoustonRaven mentioned comes from cleaning the diet up though.

Can't agree with this enough. Our kickboxing is broken down into 10 minute warm up, 20 minute technique, 30 minute circuits. Circuits are all body weight, but it's essentially HIIT.

You can come up with some killer HIIT workouts. I'm NOT A crossfit guy, but you can also adapt WOD's (I would never do WOD's with deadlifts FYI), but squats are okay. Depends on what you're doing. Some of the crossfit stuff id good to asapt.
    - Ray Lewis

And a more recent article with more up to date science on why it's a bad idea ....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jj-vir...b_5541429.html

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Weight Watcher and the Apple Health App's are fantastic ways of watching your food intake.

Both make it simple to track and factor in your workouts, compensating for the increased food intake you will need.

You will always be at a deficit but not in a unhealthy way. Once you reach your goal weight, both apps have a "Maintain" feature and adjust the plans to you will maintain that goal weight.
    Myfitnesspal works nicely if you don't mind entering custom recipes as well. Owned by Underarmor now though, so comes with some advertising for them and the occasional coupon.

Agree with you 100% here.

Myfitnesspal works nicely if you don't mind entering custom recipes as well. Owned by Underarmor now though, so comes with some advertising for them and the occasional coupon.

I was using that but ever since UA bought them, I've been disappointed. And that's odd for me since I tend to worship everything UA.

I've done a little bit of the HIIT way back when my co-worker and I were working out. I was mainly doing it as a partner with him rather than for my own benefit. Lesson learned. lol