Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: The Woodworking Thread

Sold this plane on EBAY this past week. First restored plane I’ve sold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

In the process of re-doing my workbench top. Picked out some interesting looking Fir with pinkish heartwood and golden sap wood coloration. Added 12” onto the end of the bench too so I can attach my 12” quick release vise and then add some dog holes down the road.

I decided to flatten the top out by hand.

Good workout and rewarding.

Good stuff,toy boxes came out nice!
    Had to Google crokinole board, never heard of that before.
    Father in Law gave me an old Compass plane recently, pretty cool but haven't messed with it yet.
    Neighbor is redoing his bathroom and needs help with a couple vanities so I guess I'll be messing with them next.

Blog Entries

Hand plane rear tote I made for a vintage Stanley No. 6 I’m restoring.

Made out of Purple Heart.

Blog Entries

Here is the rear tote on the restored plane.

i like the angle of the grain you used

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoreboy View Post
    i like the angle of the grain you used
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

Here is the rear tote on the restored plane.

Wicked my man ...you do beautiful work brother. That Purple Heart wood is soo pretty. I don’t have the patience for woodworking but I do appreciate craftsmanship.

Blog Entries

Made this shoe rack for me wife for Mother’s Day.

Blog Entries

Just finished restoring this Type 15 (1931-1932) Stanley No. 3C.

Really great little plane. Awesome smoother.

Here is how I got it (after I disassembled):
    Screen Shot 2018-06-24 at 5.33.48 PM.jpg

Here is what it looks like now:
    IMG_2075.jpg

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Just finished restoring this Type 15 (1931-1932) Stanley No. 3C.

Really great little plane. Awesome smoother.

Here is how I got it (after I disassembled):
    Screen Shot 2018-06-24 at 5.33.48 PM.jpg

Here is what it looks like now:
    IMG_2075.jpg
    Nice job, any idea how long it took you from start to finish?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CarrollCoRaven View Post
    Nice job, any idea how long it took you from start to finish?
    I probably worked on it off and on for a couple of months...just had other projects take priority.

I'd probably say in the 6-8 hour range if I don't factor in waiting for the evaporust dip or waiting for the lacquer finish on the rear tote and front knob to dry.

Evaporust dip was a full 24 hours. It was pretty rusty.

Before I dip anything, I always take it through a wire wheel to knock out any big stuff. That way I preserve the dip.

Then I dip all of the parts, except the brass pieces...those have a weird chemical reaction to the evaporust dip that leaves a slimy residue. I prefer evaporust to white vinegar because of the smell and I feel like the vinegar can sometimes cause etching lines to occur.

Once the dip is done, I'll pull everything out and take it through the wire wheel again. Then buff and polish.

Then, I'll flatten the sole of the plane on a 4' long piece of granite I got. I use adhesive-back sand paper. I'll start off by marking a grid on the bottom of the plane with a marker or pencil. Then I'll run about 10 laps over 80 or 120 grit paper depending on if there is any pitting or something. The grid will tell me where the high spots are and where the low spots are. I don't get overly concerned about it being 100% dead flat, because these are all users...now if I picked up a Stanley No.1 or a very early (Type 1, 2, or 3) plane...I'll probably try and go a bit harder since they're collector's items.

During the lapping phase, which can sometimes take a few hours, I'll do slight round over on the sole's edges and I'll also lap the cheeks (sides) - although, this is far less important for smaller, bench planes. You want the cheeks to be pretty flat and a true 90 degrees to the sole with some of the larger planes in the event that you'll be using them with a shooting board...although, I'd probably not recommend anything below a No5 for a shooting board plane. Just my preference because the bigger planes have more weight behind them.

Anyway...

Once the plane is lapped, I'll take the iron (blade) and I'll set the angle to around 27 degrees. The rule of thumb is 30 for a bevel-down plane iron, but I like 27 degrees. I think it's a good sweet spot. For a bevel up, you might want to adjust that. Then I basically swap the sand paper on my granite block and go to down with the plane iron. Most of these are in rough shape, so I'll generally start at a pretty aggressive grit (80) and then work my way up to 1,000 grit paper. Then I'll switch over to my diamond stones, which are "course", "fine", and "extra fine". Then I'll take the iron over to my water stones, which are 3,000 and 8,000 grit. Then I'll strop it on leather with honing compound.

That's the hard part.

With that out of the way, I take a 5" bolt and attach the front knob to it and then chuck it in my drill press and run through sand paper with it...120, 220, 400, 800. Same with the rear tote, although this is almost always done by hand because they're so oddly shaped. Sometimes I'll have to fix cracks and in the case of the No.6 I posted above, I actually made that rear tote.

Once they're sanded down and smooth to the touch, I'll give them 2 coats of spray on lacquer. Then I'll sand with 400 grit paper. Then another coat of lacquer. Then smooth it out with 0000 Steel wool. Then polish everything with paste wax.

All of the metal pieces/screws get a drop or two of 3-n-1 oil.

Re-assemble.

Sell.

:-)

This one I picked up as a lot of 4 planes...I think I paid $60 for 4 of them, including this one. I have it on auction at Ebay with the starting bid at $19.99 and a Buy It Now at $50. The $50 is a good deal for a really nice vintage user. If it goes through auction, I figure it could go as high as $65-70...but that would be on the high end. I typically try to price things based on what I see others go for.

That No.6 I had posted above...that one hurts a bit. I had it on auction and the price was at $105 for it, which was fantastic. Then the high bidder pulled his bid and it ended up selling for about $75, I think...which is a fucking steal for that plane. Luckily it went to a good guy...JSOC Vet in northern VA...I really contemplated telling the guy sorry, but I can't sell it for that price. I think I only made $15 on that...

Anyway...that's how it goes sometimes.

Just trying to build my side business with restoration and woodworking.