Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: The Woodworking Thread

Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post
    Nice, I don't know why I've never tried to do dust collection or paid that much attension to it. I always just assumed that with a Mitre saw the bag was worthless and sawdust was going to get everywhere no matter what you did. I think emptying the bag would help but I am going to get serious about it now. I want my garage staying nice. That looks like about all you would need.
    So I have this, which will be the bottom on casters.

The top will have a Dust Deputy bolted onto a 5-gal bucket.

The dust Deputy is pretty awesome. Highly recommend it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    So I have this, which will be the bottom on casters.

The top will have a Dust Deputy bolted onto a 5-gal bucket.

The dust Deputy is pretty awesome. Highly recommend it.

Thanks for the tip.

I put my Delta saw stand together last night. I am a little disappointed because the thing is huge. Big footprint and while it's nice to just fold it up and roll in the corner, it's going to eat up a lot of wall space and my garage has a limited size.

If I had to do it again I would just get a Dewalt heavy Duty portable stand and keep the saw on the brackets but store it under a workbench when not using it.

I will enjoy the Delta stand but I'm at an age where I want my sh1t to have a smaller foot print and be all in one place.

I need to show you my custom cabinet I built. It's turning out nice. I have my harbor freight magnets lining the door and I bought some new stuff like screw drivers, cold chisels, pliers, files etc to stick on there. I have lots of stuff still to attach. Basically I open the doors and boom everything I need is right there. My friend had a 4x8x16 one he built as a kid and as an older married guy still has it but added the magnetic strips and tools and I was like, I need to do that. I made the mistake of cutting mine down too much. I took 6 inches off the with and ended up with a door width that was 1/2 an inch to short for the 18 inch magnetic strips from harbor freight so I had to cut them down and drill new holes ugh!!!! Mine is only about 7 feet high too because my celing is about 8 1/2 feet and I wanted to be able to put stuff on top of it. I also put mine on heavy duty casters so that chewed up 6 inches of height too. If I can't roll it I don'w want it in my shop.

Anyway to summarize: Small footprint stand would have been better I think but as an old lazy gut being able to just wheel the thing out and pop it up will be nice. I just need to make a dust collection solution and reorganize my garage so I have more room and I'll be okay.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the tip.

I put my Delta saw stand together last night. I am a little disappointed because the thing is huge. Big footprint and while it's nice to just fold it up and roll in the corner, it's going to eat up a lot of wall space and my garage has a limited size.

If I had to do it again I would just get a Dewalt heavy Duty portable stand and keep the saw on the brackets but store it under a workbench when not using it.

I will enjoy the Delta stand but I'm at an age where I want my sh1t to have a smaller foot print and be all in one place.

I need to show you my custom cabinet I built. It's turning out nice. I have my harbor freight magnets lining the door and I bought some new stuff like screw drivers, cold chisels, pliers, files etc to stick on there. I have lots of stuff still to attach. Basically I open the doors and boom everything I need is right there. My friend had a 4x8x16 one he built as a kid and as an older married guy still has it but added the magnetic strips and tools and I was like, I need to do that. I made the mistake of cutting mine down too much. I took 6 inches off the with and ended up with a door width that was 1/2 an inch to short for the 18 inch magnetic strips from harbor freight so I had to cut them down and drill new holes ugh!!!! Mine is only about 7 feet high too because my celing is about 8 1/2 feet and I wanted to be able to put stuff on top of it. I also put mine on heavy duty casters so that chewed up 6 inches of height too. If I can't roll it I don'w want it in my shop.

Anyway to summarize: Small footprint stand would have been better I think but as an old lazy gut being able to just wheel the thing out and pop it up will be nice. I just need to make a dust collection solution and reorganize my garage so I have more room and I'll be okay.
    The nice thing about the shop vac cart with the dust Deputy is you can just wheel it over to whatever tool you're using and connect it to the tool's dust port. Then when you're done, just disconnect it and wheel it back to its home. That's my plan anyway.

Blog Entries

Picked up 10 f style clamps from harbor freight today. 4 30" and 6 36"...$50 because they were scratched and some were missing the rubber pad on the clamp.

Blog Entries

Picking up a 12 1/2" Grizzly Thickness planer tonight from a guy on Craigslist. Throwing in a new set of blades too.

I got a great deal on it. Brand new they're around $300-350 bucks. A set of blades is around $30.

I got everything for $100.

Picking up a 12 1/2" Grizzly Thickness planer tonight from a guy on Craigslist. Throwing in a new set of blades too.

I got a great deal on it. Brand new they're around $300-350 bucks. A set of blades is around $30.

I got everything for $100.
    Cool. I'm running out of room in my garage. The delta saw stand is freaking huge so I am probably just going to get a drill press and grinder and call it quits. Nothing worse than a cluttered shop/work area.

Cool. I'm running out of room in my garage. The delta saw stand is freaking huge so I am probably just going to get a drill press and grinder and call it quits. Nothing worse than a cluttered shop/work area.
    Used the saw and stand today. It worked well. I think the Dewalt portable mitre saw stand might have worked better for what I was doing, cutting 10 foot 2x4s and 2x6s but it was nice just rolling it out to my driveway and when I was done I had it rolled back in in like 2 minutes with no hassles.

I will say that the way the calibrate the thing it just barely cuts a 2x6 when it's locked in non-sliding mode. Left a little tiny shred of wood in the corner. My ryobi 10 inch mitre saw doesn't have that problem because it closes further I probably just need to get a new blade on it. Other than that it cut well. I was building supports in the front of my garage to hold an LVL beam for a loft I am building.

Blog Entries

Almost done...

Almost done...

Where do you get the tubing to connect that thing to your mitre saw?
    -"You are about to enter a world of pain."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Moe the Crow View Post
    Where do you get the tubing to connect that thing to your mitre saw?
    I picked up some vacuum tubing off of Amazon and I got a higher end Rigid vacuum hose (pictured right on the left of the bottom picture).

I'm also planning on using PVC pipe to make a more permanent connection between the actual shop vac and the top of the dust deputy.

Once I make an actual miter saw station in my shop, I'll make a dedicated vacuum port coming off the back and then run pvc lines up the wall to a spot where I can just roll the cart over and hook it up.

Blog Entries

Picked these guys out of my mom's fiancé' barn in St. Michaels Maryland.

Pretty sure the one is cedar and the other is Osage.

Blog Entries

Building a miter saw station. Starting to take shape now.