Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Re: The Woodworking Thread

Anyone have any thoughts on a Sawstop saw? I want to get a new table saw. Preferably portable because I like to move my tools close to where I'm working. They are expensive but the safety advantages are phenomenal. I'm not sure why that sort of feature is not required by law now anywhere. How many fingers have been taken by table saws? I figure it might be worth the peace of mind to pay the extra thousand.

Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post
    Anyone have any thoughts on a Sawstop saw? I want to get a new table saw. Preferably portable because I like to move my tools close to where I'm working. They are expensive but the safety advantages are phenomenal. I'm not sure why that sort of feature is not required by law now anywhere. How many fingers have been taken by table saws? I figure it might be worth the peace of mind to pay the extra thousand.
    I’m not familiar with them ....but added safety is always a win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

The Woodworking Thread

I have a Sawstop PCS 1.75hp with the 36” T-Glide fence. It’s fantastic and well worth the $.

I used to have a Delta contractor saw and it was a good saw, but the fence was crappy. I caught my knuckle on the blade once and that was it for me. I ordered a Sawstop a week later. I got lucky and just cut my knuckle superficially. But that scared me.

I know a few other woodworkers that lost fingers and immediately purchased a Sawstop after.

They’re expensive. They don’t go on sale. But, $2000-$3000 is a lot cheaper than an amputation.

Here is mine:

A guy I know bought the Sawstop job site saw, which I think is around $1100, and he built an entire workstation around his job site saw that he can remove the saw from and take it to a job or outside if he wants to.

Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

good to see the ww thread pop back up.

I just started a couple shutters someone wants, kind of a pain,had to make a little jig to cut the slots for the slats.

i

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoreboy View Post
    good to see the ww thread pop back up.

I just started a couple shutters someone wants, kind of a pain,had to make a little jig to cut the slots for the slats.

i
    Wow, dude, louvered shutters looks painstakingly difficult to make.

Good Lord. I'm guessing someone had one rotted shutter and couldn't find a replacement and commissioned you to build a replica.

Homeowners recently bought the house and are doing some stuff.
    These are for a couple horizontal windows roughly 2'x4'.
    They will be the Bermuda style that's hinged at the top and swings out from the bottom.Heading out to the shop now,hope to get them done today.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Moe the Crow View Post
    Good Lord. I'm guessing someone had one rotted shutter and couldn't find a replacement and commissioned you to build a replica.
    I have to do something similar with one of my wooden louvered shutters. I looked into buying some new shutters and they're stupid expensive.

Getting there,heading out of town will have to finish next week when I get back.
    Used Cedar, will be painted black.
    Here''s an idea of what they'll look like

I used to manage a Warehouse which was a building products company. We had a millwork department and I had 2 employees both lose pinky fingers both within a week of one another. Only time it happened in my 15 years there. It was a air activated table saw and the blade would come up and out of the table for angling moulding and if you stuck your hand in there you would regret it. Well two morons instead of using the sticks to knock out the excess pieces stuck their hands in there and pow.
    One was a young girl, the other was our 70 year old safety/mechanic.

Nasty injuries.

We had another saw, the blade was like 30+ inches, no break on it we used to cut large pieces down with, I caught a temp worker all nodded out standing up while operating it one day. He must have shot up in the bathroom or something, this saw would have cut him in half had he fell into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoreboy View Post
    Getting there,heading out of town will have to finish next week when I get back.
    Used Cedar, will be painted black.
    Here''s an idea of what they'll look like

Very nice work Sir.

Blog Entries

Hickory kitchen island table top I'm working on. Just put the first coat of urethane on it.

Screen Shot 2019-09-20 at 1.05.33 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-09-20 at 1.05.13 PM.jpg