Page 1 of 13 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

The Woodworking Thread

Anyone in RSR Land do any woodworking at home or professionally?

I've been pretty into it the past couple of years. I've done some decent stuff, but I still make a lot of mistakes. It's a good hobby though and I like that there are so many different ways to skin a cat, so to speak.

I watched a YouTube vid of some guy making a custom picture frame entirely on the table saw and it wasn't just a square frame. He beveled the back of the frame, added some scallops to the front of the frame, and so on. The way he used the table saw was incredible and I had never considered using it in those ways before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Re: The Woodworking Thread

My set up:

Delta 10" Table Saw
    Vintage Craftsman bench top 12" drill press
    Vintage Craftsman 12" band saw, floor model
    Makita 10" mitre saw
    Porter Cable fixed base router
    Hitachi router
    Kregg Jig pocket hole system
    Makita 5" orbital sander
    Porter Cable 8" circular saw
    Ryobi Jig saw

I just picked up a dado stack for my table saw, so I'm excited to try that out and do some cool jointery with it.

I made a gun rack for AG when I was a freshman in high school. My mother had to buy $200 worth of grapefruit for me to pull a C in that class.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    I made a gun rack for AG when I was a freshman in high school. My mother had to buy $200 worth of grapefruit for me to pull a C in that class.
    lol.

Blog Entries

Just finished assembling a 48"x96" harbor freight folding trailer. I made a deck and rails for it as well. It works pretty well. For the price, hard to beat. I like that I can fold it up against the wall too. Makes it easier to store in the garage and out of the elements.

Trailer, unassembled, was 279.99. I had a 20% coupon, so I got it for around 230.

Blog Entries

Also putting in a built-in desk into a bedroom that I'm using as a study/office. We got a nice pull out sofa for guests, but the room is on the small side and I wanted to be able to open the floor space up a bit. So, adding a desk with shelving into the closet made some sense. Eventually, I'll put in an outlet in the closet as well.

Come down here and hang out with my father-in-law. Big barn full of sharp things.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    My set up:

Delta 10" Table Saw
    Vintage Craftsman bench top 12" drill press
    Vintage Craftsman 12" band saw, floor model
    Makita 10" mitre saw
    Porter Cable fixed base router
    Hitachi router
    Kregg Jig pocket hole system
    Makita 5" orbital sander
    Porter Cable 8" circular saw
    Ryobi Jig saw

I just picked up a dado stack for my table saw, so I'm excited to try that out and do some cool jointery with it.

That's a pretty impressive set of power tools you have. I just bought a Black Friday Delta table saw, model 6022 for $200. Seemed like a decent saw for the price. Which delta table saw do you have in your collection of tools. I also made a gun rack in school during woodshop. I'm guessing it's not an option these days in school. i also made a book rack, a spice rack and a cabinet with a drawer. I still have the cabinet.

I do extreme basic projects from time to time, but nothing serious. I do enjoy it and would love to get more involved in it, but don't really have the time.

I did manage to get my hands on a shopsmith in working order. I just need to fix a broken piece on it. I already have a table saw, skill saw, scroll saw and a chop saw. The shopsmith adds the lathe and drill press and a bandsaw all in 1 unit. I haven't used it yet though. I have a router and a router table that I don't know how to use yet as well. lol I have a set of bits that I just keep looking at saying one day I will attempt to build something that requires their use.

Like I said, I stick to the basic stuff such as cornhole boards. I hand paint all of mine instead of going the decal route. I'm much better on the artistic side than the construction side of things. Just got an airbrush last year and just now starting to try to use that some. Right now, I'm much better with a paintbrush.

Blog Entries

Got this guy from my wife's grandfather. It was a rusty mess, but it was mostly surface rust.

Gave it a soak in white vinegar for about 8jrs and then went at it with a wire brush, an old toothbrush, and some love.

Rinsed it with mineral spirits, gave it a nice layer of WD40 and finishers wax on the bottom. Then I hand sanded the handles with 220 - they were black when I got them.

I got around to sharpening the blade tonight with my whetstone. Turned out better than I expected.

This is an early 1900's model of Union No.3 hand plane. Stanley bought out Union in 1920.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Got this guy from my wife's grandfather. It was a rusty mess, but it was mostly surface rust.

Gave it a soak in white vinegar for about 8jrs and then went at it with a wire brush, an old toothbrush, and some love.

Rinsed it with mineral spirits, gave it a nice layer of WD40 and finishers wax on the bottom. Then I hand sanded the handles with 220 - they were black when I got them.

I got around to sharpening the blade tonight with my whetstone. Turned out better than I expected.

This is an early 1900's model of Union No.3 hand plane. Stanley bought out Union in 1920.

This is a good timely thread.

I just returned a dewalt dw716 12" dual bevel compound mitre saw because I was thinking I would go for the hitachi 12 inch slider. It was kind of dumb because I had forgotten I got the dewalt on sale at Christmas for 290 and they are normally 340... However now I am thinking I didn't really need the dual bevel anyway and I may just go with a 12 inch single bevel.

I want 12 inch for sure because I find have found myself cutting fence posts and occasionally some wierd stuff like fat PVC pipe and water dispensers etc.. and it's just nice to have the capacity.

All the rennovations I have done in my own house and I still only have a regular old mitre saw. Had to borrow a compound one fore all the trim over the years LOL.

What are folks thoughts here?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post
    This is a good timely thread.

I just returned a dewalt dw716 12" dual bevel compound mitre saw because I was thinking I would go for the hitachi 12 inch slider. It was kind of dumb because I had forgotten I got the dewalt on sale at Christmas for 290 and they are normally 340... However now I am thinking I didn't really need the dual bevel anyway and I may just go with a 12 inch single bevel.

I want 12 inch for sure because I find have found myself cutting fence posts and occasionally some wierd stuff like fat PVC pipe and water dispensers etc.. and it's just nice to have the capacity.

All the rennovations I have done in my own house and I still only have a regular old mitre saw. Had to borrow a compound one fore all the trim over the years LOL.

What are folks thoughts here?
    I'm of the mindset to buy tools not for what you currently need, but what you may need down the road. Nothing worse than spending a few hundred bucks on a tool and then a couple years later you are kicking yourself for not spending a few dollars more and getting the better features.

I too am in the market for a new miter saw. I currently just have a single bevel 10" Makita.

I love DeWalt. Can't go wrong with DeWalt, but they are expensive. I don't have a lot of experience with Hitachi except for a fixed base router I have in my router table. It's a good router, so I don't think you'd be disappointed.

I'm also looking hard at Rigid's compound sliding miter saw. This one in particular:

I know two guys that have one. One guy is a general contractor and he uses it on his job sites, so it's pretty durable. The other guy just does woodworking as a hobby, which is how I'd use it. He's had it for a few years and I've used it once or twice. I liked it a lot. It's nice to be able to crosscut 10-12" boards. It's plenty powerful too.