Page 1 of 16 123 ... LastLast

Ravens Statement on ESPN Report Concerning Colin Kaepernick

Statement from Ravens General Manager & Executive Vice President Ozzie Newsome

On today’s report from ESPN regarding Colin Kaepernick:

“We are going through a process, and we have not made a decision. Steve Bisciotti has not told us we cannot sign Colin Kaepernick, nor has he blocked the move. Whoever is making those claims is wrong.”

Here's the ESPN report: LINK

Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Re: Ravens Statement on ESPN Report Concerning Colin Kaepernick

Just sign the guy! He's better than Mallet, we got a weak o line and Baltimore would welcome him with open arms. Do it for Freddie Gray dammit!

Blog Entries

This is a fucking disaster. They could not have possibly botched this more if they tried to.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    This is a fucking disaster. They could not have possibly botched this more if they tried to.
    LOL...how have they botched it?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    Are you joking? They look like a dysfunctional organization.

Looooooooool at that pic tho!
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by Money227 View Post
    Are you joking? They look like a dysfunctional organization.
    In what way? Serious question.

Blog Entries

Honestly, if you have followed this situation and haven't come to the conclusion that they have screwed this up royally, nothing I say is going to convince you otherwise.

Like, for example, how they claim they are evaluating him on a football level, only for it to come out that they are polling the fan base and sponsors on how they feel about it? Like Bisciotti's all-time quote "pray for us"? The constant saying they are interested, and Kaepernick is interested, but signing the guys they have instead, while still maintaining you are interested? By having your head coach and GM in favor of signing him but reports leaking that Bisciotti doesn't want to, despite publically saying otherwise he's not opposed just days prior?

This ESPN reporter didn't just make this up out of the blue. Someone leaked the information out. I don't really care either way about signing him at this point. But publically saying one thing only for it to leak out you really don't feel that way, makes the entire organization look bad. Would rather have Bisciotti say similar to what Mara did, that the amount of people sending feedback against signing him swayed them in that direction. At least that's an honest answer. Bisciotti has a history of this - remember when they were privately telling Rice things drastically different from what they were publically?

1. The Ravens shouldn't have made their interest public, and if leaked, should've refused comment or given some Belichick-ian non-denial denial.

2. ESPN are fucking turds, and stir shit up for their own gain. They no longer report the news, they actively work to generate it.

3. Kap isn't that good, and won't make us a better team on the field. All it will do is cause issues in the locker room, especially if Joe has a bad game or games.

4. They have virtually no cap room, how in the hell would they pay him? And what are his contact demands? Any more than the vet minimum is just stupid from a football perspective. No one is lining up to sign the turd.

5. If Bisciotti blocked it, good for him. He's the owner, it's his team, and ultimately, if they alienate a large percentage of the fan base, that falls on him.

6. As said before, if they sign him, I'm going on hiatus. I won't attend, I won't watch/listen to games or Ravens related material. I will likely take a break from this board and all Ravens related activity until he is no longer on the team. I suspect I won't be the only one, not by a long shot. Steve has to know that. If he blocked the move for PR reasons, than good for him and I have no problem with that.
    Last edited by esmd; 08-02-2017 at 02:35 PM.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

In what way? Serious question.
    See Bhcforlife's post. He pretty much nailed it.

Blog Entries

Honestly, if you have followed this situation and haven't come to the conclusion that they have screwed this up royally, nothing I say is going to convince you otherwise.

Like, for example, how they claim they are evaluating him on a football level, only for it to come out that they are polling the fan base and sponsors on how they feel about it? Like Bisciotti's all-time quote "pray for us"? The constant saying they are interested, and Kaepernick is interested, but signing the guys they have instead, while still maintaining you are interested? By having your head coach and GM in favor of signing him but reports leaking that Bisciotti doesn't want to, despite publically saying otherwise he's not opposed just days prior?

This ESPN reporter didn't just make this up out of the blue. Someone leaked the information out. I don't really care either way about signing him at this point. But publically saying one thing only for it to leak out you really don't feel that way, makes the entire organization look bad. Would rather have Bisciotti say similar to what Mara did, that the amount of people sending feedback against signing him swayed them in that direction. At least that's an honest answer. Bisciotti has a history of this - remember when they were privately telling Rice things drastically different from what they were publically?

Thanks....oh, wait....

Like, for example, how they claim they are evaluating him on a football level, only for it to come out that they are polling the fan base and sponsors on how they feel about it?
    By "polling the fan base", they also could be just preparing people for the potential signing and gauging how they will need to present the information (aka public relations).

The constant saying they are interested,
    Which they may very well be...

and Kaepernick is interested
    Which he may very well be...

, but signing the guys they have instead,
    Clearly "camp arms" to throw practice balls while #5 is out...or are you suggesting that the QBs they signed are true backups?

By having your head coach and GM in favor of signing him but reports leaking that Bisciotti doesn't want to, despite publicly saying otherwise he's not opposed just days prior?
    So you are just assuming that this report from an unnamed source is accurate...despite Bisciotti himself publicly saying they are considering the signing?

I see this a normal give and take negotiation plus a few unique factors: The as of yet unknown health of the starting QB probably plays directly into the final contract terms + a high profile player + a media narrative or two trying to spin this in certain ways, such as "The same fans that gave Ray Rice a standing ovation are now racist in not wanting Kaepernick."