Blog Entries

Pro Bowl voting (interesting observation)

First, Pro Bowl voting is open, so go vote (for Ravens players especially)

http://nfl.com/probowl/ballot

Now, my first go around, I was voting "fairly"...meaning I actually went after the 3 best at each position. I got to WR, and I sorted based on TDs, yards, and average, and discovered something I found quite fascinating...

Derrick Mason has the 10th most receiving yards in the AFC!

It seems like he's been pretty quiet this season, but I guess quietly he's been getting it done.

Now the bad side. When you switch to NFL, he falls off the charts. That's because it appears that the NFC is dominating in the passing game. Jerricho Cotchery, #9 in the AFC, is #25 in the NFL. Javon Walker, #5 in the AFC, is #15 in the NFL.

Just something interesting I noticed.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Re: Pro Bowl voting (interesting observation)

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Derrick Mason has the 10th most receiving yards in the AFC!
    I'm not trying to sound too disagreeable here, but I fail to see why this is so interesting. He's our number one receiver, and there are sixteen teams in the AFC, and he's tenth in receiving yards. So he's in the bottom half, the way I look at it.

Of course, there are different ways to look at it -- considering how the passing game has struggled, maybe the fact that he's as high as tenth is saying something positive about him. But being tenth in a sixteen team conference does not overwhelm me.

But I think that says more about the passing game in general than Mason's abilities, because he's the best WR we've had in years.
    Last edited by highwater; 10-20-2006 at 02:44 PM.

Blog Entries

that's true. When you break it down like that, it makes him seem a little less accomplished this season. But, I just thought it was interesting, considering he caught no passes last game, and he's kind've a co-#1 with Heap, seeing as both are guys we love throwing the ball to.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

I cant get the ballot to open.

I MUST VOTE!!!
    "This year, our attitude when we’re on the field is we’re attacking, we want to put points on the board and then let our defense pin their ears back and have at it."
    -Mark Clayton