Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: are the Ravens wasting Flacco's prime?

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    I think if you want to look at a team that is wasting their QBs prime, look no further than the Colts. Not only are they wasting Luck, they are probably taking time off his career with the amount of hits he takes because they've totally disregarded the line.
    I wouldn't say they've disregarded the line. In the past 5 drafts they've picked 2 offensive lineman in the 1st round and 1 in the 2nd round. That's more than most teams. You could say they were the wrong picks but it's not like they ignored it with those high picks.

Blog Entries

The Oline needs to be fixed first and foremost. I don't know
    How we went from it being a strength in the offseason to what we have now. What is Castillo's purpose on this team? By all accounts this Oline has been under performing since he's been here minus 2014 when Kubiak took control of the whole unit. I read somewhere earlier in the season that Castillo and Trestman have different ideals on what blocking schemes should be. It seems to me Castillo don't play well with others too much.

The Ravens had 36 Offensive Plays in the First half and ran 7 times. They had 19 runs in the second half and had 97 yards. As was indicated earlier, they threw 6 straight times at the end of the game.

First, I lean towards the Harbaugh Camp as a HC, taking into account all things that are in the job. Is he infallible ? No. Does he have a history as a Coordinator for the Offense or Defense ? No. So what ? I have respect for the Steelers' organization and they stayed with Bill Cowher for 15 years. He had 6 Playoff Years to start, then was out of the Playoffs three straight years. He then had two to make the playoffs and then dropped to 6-10. They went back to the Playoffs two years and then went to 8-8. He was 1-1 in the SB, and had 1 loss in the WC, 3 in the Divisional and 4 in the Championship Rounds. I can only imagine what the Forum would look like with that history.

Second, IMHO Harbaugh appears to be a Leader who has a strategic philosophy, but that if you are hired he will let you handle the tactical decisions. He is not out of the loop, but he does not make you feel like you are constantly being questioned or having somebody over your shoulder. It is my perception that he is the type of leader who would tell you that you were chosen because I respect your talents and will let you be in charge of the details. There are times where he may give a command to change something in the game, but I also do not see him as somebody who is going to roll anybody under the Bus. I think he will let people get enough rope to hang themselves if they cannot alter what is not working.

I am not a Trestman fan and was surprised when he was hired because of the Pass-happy history. I could only figure that Harbaugh figured that shifting more toward a Pass-minded OC would give Joe more involvement, but that he could have Trestman work with the system that was run-focused by tweaking it. It is obvious though that it is not working, and something must change. I must admit though that I have a little concern over whether some of it is Joe's preference to throw and that it may be beyond the ability of the team to do that; rather than solely Trestman. Looking back, I wonder how much of the strain between Joe and Cam was the former's desire to open it up and the latter's view that it was beyond his (or the team's) ability to do that. If you want to throw deep, you have to have a line that gives you time. When you have two back-ups on the left (and a big question in the middle), where is the sense in throwing 50+ times ? Is that Trestman ? And was the second half run-calling an example of Harbaugh's input ? And where was Joe in that discussion ? And to what extent is Castillo the problem ?

This team will not go far with the present Offensive Play-calling. Maybe the answer is to change the game-day calling. But is that in Harbaugh's DNA to keep somebody as a Coach when they are challenged like that, or does he have to just let him go (a la Cam)?
    Captain Offense

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    So what you are saying is that 2 losing seasons out of 9 is more than Bisciotti will tolerate. Or at least 2 in a row is more than Bisciotti will tolerate.
    I think 2-in-a-row might make Bisciotti a little uncomfortable...and it should.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by ravensinva View Post
    just because he is getting top 10 money doesn't mean he is a top 10 QB.
    This is nothing new. For many seasons, I have felt that Joe is an average regular season QB but an elite playoff QB and have been hammered because it appears to be too negative. Just look at the stats and the proof is there. Get to the post season and Joe becomes elite however in most of the Ravens' regular season games... wins and losses Joe is just an average Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    The Oline needs to be fixed first and foremost. I don't know
    How we went from it being a strength in the offseason to what we have now. What is Castillo's purpose on this team? By all accounts this Oline has been under performing since he's been here minus 2014 when Kubiak took control of the whole unit. I read somewhere earlier in the season that Castillo and Trestman have different ideals on what blocking schemes should be. It seems to me Castillo don't play well with others too much.
    We had an up and coming, rather promising left side of the line all out yesterday. I'm not sure why Lewis was out considering how well Filmstudy has grade him out this year but I have a couple of theories. Naybe he still had lingering issues or they felt he hadn't been at practice enough during the week. Maybe Hurst is used to Jensen being next to him. I mean, it's not like familiarity communication wise helped but I get the theory. If we get those two back things are looking a lot better. I know we'd like to have a whole extra sets of starters as depth but that's just not going to happen.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by saintmatthew View Post
    We had an up and coming, rather promising left side of the line all out yesterday. I'm not sure why Lewis was out considering how well Filmstudy has grade him out this year but I have a couple of theories. Naybe he still had lingering issues or they felt he hadn't been at practice enough during the week. Maybe Hurst is used to Jensen being next to him. I mean, it's not like familiarity communication wise helped but I get the theory. If we get those two back things are looking a lot better. I know we'd like to have a whole extra sets of starters as depth but that's just not going to happen.
    but then there is zuttah when those two get back it's like they are reluctant to bench him.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    So what you are saying is that 2 losing seasons out of 9 is more than Bisciotti will tolerate. Or at least 2 in a row is more than Bisciotti will tolerate.
    Billick only needed ONE in a row.

are the Ravens wasting Flacco's prime?

Quote Originally Posted by Annapolis6686 View Post
    Billick started losing the Ravens when they signed Deon, and he allowed Ray and Corey Fuller to incorporate him into their "posse".

And then there was McAlister.

Oh, and the bust at QB.

Billick got plenty of chances to save his job 2004-2007. His one great year also ended in one of the most frustrating and disappointing loses in team history.

And to be clear, I thought Billick was a really good coach.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Annapolis6686 View Post
    while this is true it's a slightly different Billick completely lost the locker room I mean completely, plus Billick was Modell's guy, Harbs is Biscuits guy.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    Well, the Ravens haven't disregarded the line because they invested a 1st and a 4th, but with those players being injured, Flacco is getting hit a lot, too.

So the under-par performances point to Castillo and Trestman's offensive identity (i.e., none), do they not?
    Last edited by BigPlayReceiver; 10-04-2016 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Cuz English is hard
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    So the under-par performances point to Castillo and Trestman's offensive identity (i.e., none), do they not?
    this is what I am getting at too, I read something somewhere last week I can't remember where or how I even came on it, but it stated something to the effect that Castillo and Trestman aren't seeing eye to eye on blocking schemes, also Kubiak and Castillo didn't hit it off at first but they had managed to achieve the same goal through different methods. I feel like Castillo needs to go.