Lightbulb The concept of the wildcard GAME

At this posting, we are on the eve of the AL Wildcard Game between the Blue Jays and the Orioles. Yes, it is a relief to see the Orioles clinch a playoff berth (I am still confused somewhat about the wildcard game being an extension of the regular season OR being instead a postseason game.) And I admit it's exciting to play a single-elimination contest. Nevertheless, the wildcard game itself is a bad concept that should never have been instituted in the first place.

Your team plays 162 games, you total up the number of wins, and compare the total to that of other contenders. Why in the world would you risk your season-long accomplishment in just ONE game? The MLB season consists of a very long set of consecutive SERIES. The entire regular season is a rehearsal for competing in the postseason which also consists of consecutive SERIES - the only difference is that in the postseason you must win every series consecutively or be eliminated. Baseball is a team sport which requires a series of games to determine which team is better and thereby qualifies to advance in the postseason. It has always been that way. That is why the World Series is a series and not just one game.

Anything can happen in one game which is not a true measure of the teams involved. What I am suggesting instead is that the wildcard GAME be replaced by a wildcard SERIES - best two out of three games (just like the overwhelming majority of regular season series). Besides, it would generate even more revenue for MLB owners and players to satisfy their greed.

The way it stands now, wildcard teams are penalized for not clinching first place in their respective division. They accept a postseason invitation but only if they are willing to face elimination in ONE game. And the fans of the losing team suffer all winter long, pondering what might have been.

CCx

Re: The concept of the wildcard GAME

they should do best of 3!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

I wandered in here wondering it there was any Game 7 Indians/Cubs talk. In any event, I love the concept of the one game Wild Card. It's an immediate "Game 7" feel all rolled up into 1 game. Win or go home. It doesn't get anymore exciting than that. Yea it sucked when the O's lost. But if a team doesn't want to be in that position then they need to win their division. Winning the division has to be the ultimate goal for every team. Also, whoever wins the Wild Card is at a disadvantage because theoretically they used up their best pitcher(s) in the Wild Card Game. That's how it should be. They didn't win their division so they have a tougher road. As it stand now it's November 2nd and baseball has one more game. If the Wild Card Game was turned into a series baseball would be going on until almost the middle of November. Baseball has made some dumb decisions (All-Star Game counts), but this is a great format.

Since the AL East is - more times than not - the strongest division in MLB, the AL Wildcard team(s) from that division could be solid World Series contenders (i.e., even better than the other two division winners). Because of the unbalanced schedule involving intradivisional games (19 games a year against each divisional rival), one tends to put too much emphasis on the overall win-loss record and not enough on who the competition is.

My concern with going to a 3 game series would be the home team would have too great an advantage, far greater than just a seeding should afford. Sure, give the higher seed the home field advantage in a one off game where anything can still happen but given how hard it is to win a series on the road, the results would be too unbalanced.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenblue View Post
    My concern with going to a 3 game series would be the home team would have too great an advantage, far greater than just a seeding should afford. Sure, give the higher seed the home field advantage in a one off game where anything can still happen but given how hard it is to win a series on the road, the results would be too unbalanced.
    Admittedly, that's a difficult problem concerning homefield advantage (for a best-of-three-game series). There would be reluctance to alternate between venues after every game. If the first two games are split (1-1), both being played on the first wildcard's homefield, then the series would move to the second wildcard's homefield. Of course THAT game would decide the series, and the question arises who really had homefield advantage afterall. It would mean that the first wildcard has the series advantage only during the first two games (i.e., the potential for a two-game series sweep at home). If there is a third game, the advantage shifts to the other team. Maybe that's more fair, maybe not.