Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New rule may be a bust. Back to the drawing board.

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2016/8...rategy-changes

The new kick off rule isn't working. Something is preventing me from posting the reference..... HELP

Just as some here may have figured nothing has improved. It's not any safer than it was.
    Last edited by Bawlamer; 09-15-2016 at 05:18 PM.

Re: New rule may be a bust. Back to the drawing board.

Server not found

Firefox can’t find the server at http.

Check the address for typing errors such as ww.example.com instead of www.example.com
    If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer’s network connection.
    If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    Server not found

Firefox can’t find the server at http.

Check the address for typing errors such as ww.example.com instead of www.example.com
    If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer’s network connection.
    If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.
    My apologize. Let me try this a different way.

Ok the link works now. Wow... That was work!

Blog Entries

It should also be noted that this was the first week of the rule change. Teams are likely trying out a few strategies, so this may not be representative of what we see during the regular season. Additionally, coaches likely want to get a good look at their special teams units, so it is logical to assume team are returning kickoffs more than they will during the regular season.
    Interesting, but the new rule may also not be a bust ... hard to tell from week 1, but nice find, thanks
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Blog Entries

I noticed Tucker pooching one last week and I wondered why. It does sound like teams will try to kick high and to the 5 or so they can make a tackle instead of giving the opponent the ball at the 25. Even 5 yards here and there could be the difference in a tight game.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I noticed Tucker pooching one last week and I wondered why. It does sound like teams will try to kick high and to the 5 or so they can make a tackle instead of giving the opponent the ball at the 25. Even 5 yards here and there could be the difference in a tight game.
    And so the strategy has failed because the most dangerous play in football has not been altered.

New rule may lead to more, not less, returns.
    http://www.espn.com/blog/statsinfo/p...ore-touchbacks

Blog Entries

My first thought while watching kick offs last week was team's would kick to the 1 yard line with a better chance of stopping the returner before the 25. It's a horrible rule. Also, put the extra point back where it was while they're at it. Stop messing with the game.

Do away with the XP play!

Move the KO following at TD to the 45, instead of the 40. Kicking team puts it through the uprights - 1 point and ball is place on the receiving teams 30. Kick the ball out of the end zone but not through the uprights. Receiving team ball on the 25. Receiving team downs the ball in the end zone - receiving team ball at the 20.

I took kickoff data from the first week of the preseason
    is there data from week 1 of the season?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    It does sound like teams will try to kick high and to the 5 or so they can make a tackle instead of giving the opponent the ball at the 25.
    Whatever geenyuss decided that moving the kickoff back to the 35 while spotting touchbacks at the 25 would increase touchbacks ought to be taken out & shot for stupidity. This simply reduces the relative risk to the kicking team of placing the kick just short of the goal line (if possible, near one sideline, with coverage rolled in that direction) & forcing a return. Mostly because the coverage can get downfield faster when starting at the 35, & a good place-kicker should be able (with some practice) to give the coverage additional time by lofting the ball like a howitzer shot. (Note that this placement almost forces the receiving team to attempt a return--you don't let the ball hit hoping it'll bounce out of bounds or into the end zone when the coverage is bearing down on you & the ball is live.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bawlamer View Post
    And so the strategy has failed because the most dangerous play in football has not been altered.
    Bangalore! What makes it "the most dangerous play" is the relative speed of players when they collide. What seems to be the general philosophy of returning is for the returner to hit the wave of onrushing tacklers as fast as possible, hoping to burst through that line into the open field & leave the rest of the coverage team pursuing from behind. I don't see that philosophy being altered in any significant way. Which means players are going to get hurt just as often as in returns under the former rule, & since there'll be more returns...

"Back to the drawing board," indeed...but I don't see a solution other than just outlawing kick returns. Which removes the excitement of a return broken for a long gain or TD. No one's going to be happy with "wussifying" the game any more than it is now.
    ...If yinz ain't vaxxed & boosted by now, ain't nuffin' I say gonna change yer mind. Just don't drop dead on my lawn.

Слава Україні! героям слава!