Revisionist Plausible Scenarios

I wish someone would have told Ozzie and Billick that Boller would be the biggest bum in the history of the league . Tell him to sit tight. And wait a year. And draft Aaron Rodgers. Now when we trade for TO, we have the most dominant team in the hostel of the NFL. A team with 8 HOF level players in their mental or physical primes. Oh what could have been!

Re: Revisionist Plausible Scenarios

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these: 'It might have been'"
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by filthflarnfilth View Post
    I wish someone would have told Ozzie and Billick that Boller would be the biggest bum in the history of the league . Tell him to sit tight. And wait a year. And draft Aaron Rodgers. Now when we trade for TO, we have the most dominant team in the hostel of the NFL. A team with 8 HOF level players in their mental or physical primes. Oh what could have been!
    What's funny is the reason why Rodgers dropped so far was partly because of Boller. Remember it was 2 years between Boller and Rodgers, not 1. Jeff Tedford had a reputation for being a college quarterback guru. A whole bunch of his quarterbacks became hot prospects and ended up being drafted in round 1. There was Trent Dilfer and Akili Smith and Joey Harrington and Kyle Boller. You see a pattern?

They were all taken high and not 1 of them was very good. Boller seemed to be the last straw. Rodgers was considered a top 5 pick but he had that Tedford stink on him. Every one of them had bombed in the NFL so a lot of teams just didn't want to take the chance of a 5th straight loser. The Packers said they didn't evaluate players that way so when Rodgers hit them he was easily their BPA and history was made.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    What's funny is the reason why Rodgers dropped so far was partly because of Boller. Remember it was 2 years between Boller and Rodgers, not 1. Jeff Tedford had a reputation for being a college quarterback guru. A whole bunch of his quarterbacks became hot prospects and ended up being drafted in round 1. There was Trent Dilfer and Akili Smith and Joey Harrington and Kyle Boller. You see a pattern?

They were all taken high and not 1 of them was very good. Boller seemed to be the last straw. Rodgers was considered a top 5 pick but he had that Tedford stink on him. Every one of them had bombed in the NFL so a lot of teams just didn't want to take the chance of a 5th straight loser. The Packers said they didn't evaluate players that way so when Rodgers hit them he was easily their BPA and history was made.
    Exactly. Can you imagine Aaron Rodgers with Heap, Q, Mcgahee, Rice, with our defensive hallmarks. 5 rings min!'

Exactly. Can you imagine Aaron Rodgers with Heap, Q, Mcgahee, Rice, with our defensive hallmarks. 5 rings min!'
    That 2005 draft really "could" have straightened out the Ravens.
    You can look even farther in that draft and just say wow...

Take Rodgers instead of Clayton with their 1st draft pick.
    Take Vincent Jackson instead of Dan Cody with their 2nd pick.
    And take either Justin Tuck, Evan Mathis or Richie Incognito instead of Adam Terry with their 3rd pick.
    So, if they had taken Incognito to start at Center, then they could have picked Darren Sproles instead of Jason Brown with their 4th pick.
    Of course, they could have picked Chris Myers as a starting center with their 5th pick...
    So when you look at it...the 2006 Ravens could have been glorious and could have followed that up with many playoff runs, being always in the hunt for the Lombardi...to this day.
    Having Rodgers in 2008 means not having to draft Flacco and instead, they get Aqib Talib or Jordy Nelson or DeSean Jackson or Rice or even Chris Johnson at RB or Matt Forte or Jamaal Charles.
    So crazy to think about.
    2005 was the draft which would have changed everything.
    There was a lot of talent in that 2008 class. So, addressing different needs would have made them even that much better.
    “They gonna get a Super Bowl outta me. Believe that…Believe that”, Lamar, after being drafted by the Ravens.

Blog Entries

Eh you'd probably have been bitching the whole time about Rodgers. I'm sure you would have been on the he's washed up ban wagon at the mid way point in the season

Quote Originally Posted by Goode05 View Post
    Eh you'd probably have been bitching the whole time about Rodgers. I'm sure you would have been on the he's washed up ban wagon at the mid way point in the season
    I actually like Joe and defend him a lot.
    But this isn't really about him.
    It's about having a championship defense and never being able to build that offense that can complement it for all of those years.
    And after making one bad choice or should I say two bad choices, passing on Brady when Cavanaugh actually wanted him in the 3rd, AND having made the wrong choice in Boller and seeing he wasn't THAT guy, Billick was stubborn and tried to make it work anyway...losing years of a great defense. Never looking to see, what about a backup plan?
    Wow, that Rodgers looks pretty good...its not like they didn't see him.
    Think about it...they went to see Boller and his backup QB at the time WAS Rodgers. Unbelievable to me, until you see, that it was Billick and company who could never really see talent when it was right there in front of them.

Grabbing Rodgers means not spending the money on McNair...using that money for something else...maybe a WR or another starter on the Oline to help the running game. It is dominos...
    “They gonna get a Super Bowl outta me. Believe that…Believe that”, Lamar, after being drafted by the Ravens.

Filth I like going back and redoing things but as you well know its just not that simple.

-Aaron wasn't ARod when he came out of Cal.....he needed work and seasoning...sitting three years helped
    -He played his first game against the Ravens in that 48-3 laugher in 2005......Aaron looked like he'd be good but needed time to develop.....His first year starting, the Pack was 6-10 with ARod having moments but not yet coming into his own......In 2009 in the Ravens game he was picked off twice by Tom Zibokowski who was replacing an injured Ed Reed....Green Bay won but not on the strength of ARod
    -TO's issue was money so God himself could've guaranteed that he would be thrown to every play by ARod but it wouldn't have mattered as he wasn't coming because of Ozzie initially refusing to sign him to a long term deal
    -Assuming ARod became really good early(like the Rapist) the Ravens may have won a SB or two in 2006(almost guaranteed with how good that defense was) and maybe 2008 but after that the team probably would've parted from several talented but aging defensive players to essentially turn the team over to Aaron and to free up money to pay him(remember he's working on contract 3 in terms of big money). As we've seen as great as he is Aaron can't do it by himself and that's the main reason he has only one SB appearance and title
    -The draft order after the successes of 2005-2008 would probably have not allowed the Ravens to obtain Ray Rice and company and may have forced them to draft defense to cover the numerous holes because of the departure of the veterans
    -Lastly, because of the draft re-directs Joe Flacco may have become a Brown or even a Bengal therefore tilting the competitive balance in the division making it that much harder to win the division and be in a favorable position to get to a SB even with Aaron

Lol, that's the thing though...changing one thing likely alters everything that follows. Would they have even traded for TO if they had Rodgers?

I do like to imagine things like this from time to time, but then i have to remind myself that every change would result in ripples that we can't even wrap our heads around. I'm glad that other poster brought it up about the Tedford effect. That's what hurt ARod more than anything. If The ravens or someone else drafts Aaron Rodgers, does that alter every other pick after him? The players that turned out to be great might have actually gone to other teams and never amounted to anything. Everyone's history gets altered.

Who knows if drafting Brady changes anything for better or worse? If Chris Redman had gone to the Patriots would he still have fallen out of the tree and hurt his back? Would his development have been completely different? If he had been thrust into the starting role due to Bledsoe getting hurt, and the patriots leaned on running the ball and defense while he developed, we might be talking about his HOF career right now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens44 View Post
    I actually like Joe and defend him a lot.
    But this isn't really about him.
    It's about having a championship defense and never being able to build that offense that can complement it for all of those years.
    And after making one bad choice or should I say two bad choices, passing on Brady when Cavanaugh actually wanted him in the 3rd, AND having made the wrong choice in Boller and seeing he wasn't THAT guy, Billick was stubborn and tried to make it work anyway...losing years of a great defense. Never looking to see, what about a backup plan?
    Wow, that Rodgers looks pretty good...its not like they didn't see him.
    Think about it...they went to see Boller and his backup QB at the time WAS Rodgers. Unbelievable to me, until you see, that it was Billick and company who could never really see talent when it was right there in front of them.

Grabbing Rodgers means not spending the money on McNair...using that money for something else...maybe a WR or another starter on the Oline to help the running game. It is dominos...
    Sorry I was talking about the original post no harm ment

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens44 View Post
    That 2005 draft really "could" have straightened out the Ravens.
    You can look even farther in that draft and just say wow...

Take Rodgers instead of Clayton with their 1st draft pick.
    Take Vincent Jackson instead of Dan Cody with their 2nd pick.
    And take either Justin Tuck, Evan Mathis or Richie Incognito instead of Adam Terry with their 3rd pick.
    So, if they had taken Incognito to start at Center, then they could have picked Darren Sproles instead of Jason Brown with their 4th pick.
    Of course, they could have picked Chris Myers as a starting center with their 5th pick...
    So when you look at it...the 2006 Ravens could have been glorious and could have followed that up with many playoff runs, being always in the hunt for the Lombardi...to this day.
    Having Rodgers in 2008 means not having to draft Flacco and instead, they get Aqib Talib or Jordy Nelson or DeSean Jackson or Rice or even Chris Johnson at RB or Matt Forte or Jamaal Charles.
    So crazy to think about.
    2005 was the draft which would have changed everything.
    There was a lot of talent in that 2008 class. So, addressing different needs would have made them even that much better.
    It's not really "just say wow" worthy to simply cherrypick the best player from every single round of every draft and pretend we took him. It kind of goes without saying any team would be great if they were able to do that, but that's never even close to realistic even for the best drafters out there.

I'm more interested in seeing how this team even tries to avoid doubling the salary cap within a few years.