Post Time For Reed To Step Up...again

Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Re: Time For Reed To Step Up...again

Good article Tony. The question becomes though, are the coaches comfortable with Landry out in centerfield? Or if the responsiblility of that safety is just coverage why not actually put a cover guy like Prude back there?

Thanks for the props GW...

The way I see it, Landry has played better than Demps did last year and they should trust in him a bit more so that Reed can do what he does best -- make plays.
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    Thanks for the props GW...

The way I see it, Landry has played better than Demps did last year and they should trust in him a bit more so that Reed can do what he does best -- make plays.
    I agree completely.

Even with Reed playing center field, I think Landry's shown that he is able to come up and make plays too. That will help Ryan immensely in disguising coverages and blitz packages.

Great article. Landry doesn't even seem like a rookie back there & needs to be shown more trust. He is definitely a step up over Demps, who would get faked out on play action all the time. We need Reed to be the playmaker we have grown accustomed to & expect.

My youngest son Kyle w/ Michael Phelps after the Browms game 12/24/11

Season Ticket Holder Since 96,
    Loud, Proud & Purple in Section 504. GO RAVENS, all the way to Indy for the Lombardi!!!

I agree Landry has exceeded expectations. And sooner or later, they will let him play centerfield while Ed ballhawks. But you can't trust him as much a Demps, who was in the system for 4 years. You especially can't test the waters with him against Steve Smith. And the game vs. the Saints isn't a good time either (Joe Horn & Reggie Bush). I think against the Titans will be the first time we really let Eddie freelance the way he wants.

Good article, TL. I agree with all of you, let Landry play back there and let Ed Reed do his stuff.
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

I'm not sure I understand exactly the full argument behind the switch we're proposing.

Landry is good as the run stuffer and more physical.
    Reed is the ball hawk.

Having Reed do the safety blitz instead of Landry doesn't help take more advantage.

Can Landry really play centerfield better -- given that we have just given up a ton of big plays, I would think the problem is that Ed Reed isn't focusing on his centerfield responsibilities better!! Switching responsibilities to a player whose not as inherently good doesn't seem to make sense. Last year Reed had a different position because Demps just wasn't as physical.

I don't agree with the "Landry is the better run-stuffer" statement. Ed Reed is one of the top 10 players in the NFL at anticipateing the snap. It's been well noted that is what has got him the 4 blocked punts, but it is also apparent when he run blitzes.

He penetrates and makes contact with the runners legs regularly 2 or 3 yards in the backfield when he is rushing off the edge. He's used almost exclusively as a centerfielder on passing downs, but on the occasions that he has been in the backfield on a passing play, he has done some major damage (remember the sack, FF, FR, TD return vs. Washington in 2004?).

Landry is bigger and may well be better at stopping runs when the RB and his shoulders are square to each other, but overall, I'll take Reed's snap savvy, speed, precision leg hits, and nose for the loose ball any day. I would guess Landry will be a fine centerfielder in time. When he gets there, Ed will again be free to roam. Landry is to Reed what Ngata is to Lewis.