Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Kaepernick Protesting American Flag

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    It's always a good laugh when Malcolm is quoted for all of his pre-hajj stuff and yet his clarified words after his pilgrimage is ignored. Whites do this when they focus on his "by any means necessary" speech. Blacks seem to do it in situations like this that require an indictment of America as a whole.

Do yourself a favor and read this before you quote Malcolm in this context:

https://www.amazon.com/Autobiography.../dp/0878910042

He'd support Kap in his protest but not the entire indictment of America, which is the fallacy that Kap is committing.
    Maybe you're getting too good of a laugh.

You say that Malcolm is "quoted in all of his pre hajj stuff", as if to say that after he got back he some how backed away from the kind of rhetoric in which filthflarnfilth was using to connect Malcolm and his argument to.

I dont know if you have actually read the Alex Haley autobio or not but Malcolm's most notable difference post vs pre mecca was his shift to traditional islam, not his position on this country.

Since you so studiously posted a link to help us out, i thought that i might be of assistance in doing the same.

9 Things Malcolm X Said In His Last Ever Public Speech

https://www.buzzfeed.com/krystieyand...Oa#.ky800OoW1m

Looks to me that this douchebag is playing the sympathy card on the suckers who are falling for his Jedi mind tricks. All of a sudden -- when his football career is about to end due to loss of body strength -- he plays the sympathy card to the hate-America liberal audience.

Fuck him ... don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way to out of the NFL. Good riddance! Yes, you did offend me with your anti-American antics and I will be very happy to see you cut.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by Everything_Ravens View Post
    Maybe you're getting too good of a laugh.

You say that Malcolm is "quoted in all of his pre hajj stuff", as if to say that after he got back he some how backed away from the kind of rhetoric in which filthflarnfilth was using to connect Malcolm and his argument to.

I dont know if you have actually read the Alex Haley autobio or not but Malcolm's most notable difference post vs pre mecca was his shift to traditional islam, not his position on this country.

Since you so studiously posted a link to help us out, i thought that i might be of assistance in doing the same.

9 Things Malcolm X Said In His Last Ever Public Speech

https://www.buzzfeed.com/krystieyand...Oa#.ky800OoW1m
    Not sure what point you're trying to make.

My point was, and your link reaffirms, that his positions became more inclusive and he shunned sweeping indictments. Of course his hajj was a move toward traditional Islam. What that has to do with what's being discussed is head scratching.

He's one of the misquoted and misunderstood philosophers of our time, often taken out of context when people like Kap invoke his name or ideals.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by filthflarnfilth View Post
    Man funk that. If he wanna stand down and show his right to dissent to effect change, that's his mf right. As Malcolm said, all the dirt this country has done is coming home to roost. Cats can make pretend everything is honky dory but this country is in for a rude awakening! God bless Kap!!!
    Again, saluting the flag does not equate to agreeing with the entire state of affairs of the country. Saluting the flags represents what you are proud to have from the country (Such as the opportunity to making a very good living playing the game you love as an adult), as well as what you hope the country to become, because the freedoms given here allow for that hope. It doesn't mean you agree with everything the country is or what's been going on within it.

If he doesn't like it, take that shit somewhere else. Turn in his resignation, give back his millions and go somewhere else where he feels our people are better treated. It is highly disrespectful to the men and women who serve, even if they acknowledge that they serve so that he can have the right to make that choice. You think all of the men and women who serve agree with everything that takes place in this country? Do you think that women who serve were happy with the way women were treated in the military? Do you think that minorities who served were happy with the way they were treated in the military? They served for what they believed this country could become with their presence protecting it.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ngata Da Vida View Post
    Ex, I am not African American, so I won't pretend to be able to understand what a day in your shoes is like, but if ALL OF US could discuss and express ourselves in the manner you have in this thread, this country would be better off. Hats off to you, sir.
    Just have to learn to pick your battles man. Guy on the street calls me a nigger, I can ignore him. Officer wants to search me, let him do his search and I'm on my way. I don't know if I resemble someone. I don't know what his background is. I don't know what he's been through. What I do know is that he needs to do his job and the city would be safer from it.

Even though I'm only 29, I try to think about the long-term ramifications of my actions. All of these protestors are about to find out, because many Law Enforcement Officers from a variety of agencies are retiring ASAP. Especially here in Baltimore. When they realize that the force is short staffed and needs more bodies, they'll realize that "Oh shit, I actually have to be a mature adult and back up my words of wanting change, with the actions of showing how that change should be done". Naturally, they won't apply for those positions, because they'll realize that they are putting their lives on the line everyday in an array of dangerous situations, for what, 40-50K a year? I was just talking to LoveFootball, because a Correctional Officer in Seattle makes darn near $10 per hour more to start than here in the Baltimore and Jessup Regions.

The ugly alternative is that they don't find enough qualified applicants, which leads them to lower qualifications and that's when the gangs will really take over.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by filthflarnfilth View Post
    So what are you saying. How is that comment germane to the fact that the descendants of slaves have been cheated out of trillions of dollars? That black folk are killed at 5x the rate of white folk. That the US has killed millions of people of color over the last 100 years.
    An entire race was cheated out of its land, which we now call a country. If we really want to be technical about it, no other race deserves to even argue over the issues that take place on this land.

Blog Entries

Let's keep in mind that we are talking about a guy who, a year ago was getting roasted for posting insensitive comments on social media after a natural disaster in Texas.

Sidenote: He did later apologize.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Let's keep in mind that we are talking about a guy who, a year ago was getting roasted for posting insensitive comments on social media after a natural disaster in Texas.

Sidenote: He did later apologize.
    As well as him dropping the N bomb on a Bears player last year.

Blog Entries

Anyone else find it ironic that Kapernick is protesting a country that oppresses black people... when the majority of the NFL players are black.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    An entire race was cheated out of its land, which we now call a country. If we really want to be technical about it, no other race deserves to even argue over the issues that take place on this land.
    This country is rooted in racism. Rooted in exploitation. Blacks just got the vote 50 years ago. Never given reparations for slavery while their white counterparts want to yell about pulling up their bootstraps and while they received land and low interests loans to get ahead. Everything that's comes after this is from the tentacles of inequality from the BS beginnings.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Anyone else find it ironic that Kapernick is protesting a country that oppresses black people... when the majority of the NFL players are black.
    It's not ironic at all. Black NFLers represent a figure waaaay below 1% of the US population.
    (Edit: It's about .000004%)

It must be pre-season b/c I'm not sure why a washed-up, youngin with little-to-no social credibility, or social justice history is getting so much attention.

Stripping emotion from the matter, folks that talk during the anthem, or remain covered during the anthem are absolutely abhorrent to me b/c THAT'S a blatant demonstration of disrespect.

However, not standing during the anthem for whatever purpose is fine by me....hanging the flag upside down*, burning the flag, or spitting on it is also fine by me as a personal expression**. It's nothing that I would do, suggest or support, and I will probably will not attempt to disrupt the ass-whuppin' that someone else may put upon you; but it's a person's right.

* Not backwards though. People that hang the flag backwards are worthless, lazy POS that can't be bothered learning basic civil customs and etiquette.

** Assuming the individual is a citizen
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver