Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Flashback Friday: Time for Some Tough Love for Boller

Re: Flashback Friday: Time for Some Tough Love for Boller

Ah yes....the dreaded franchise QB that isn't quite living up to his potential....how long do you ride with him and at what cost?

If the Ravens were in the market for a QB in 2005, they might have taken Aaron Rodgers at pick #22, instead of Mark Clayton. And of course, New England used the 2004 first round pick traded for Boller to pick Vince Wolfork. As Billick said at the time, when you miss on your franchise QB, you set your team back 5 years. He was right and the Boller miss was a big factor in his firing after the 2007 season.

Jared Goff + Case Keenum = Kyle Boller + Anthony Wright

Blog Entries

Derrick Mason's quote was dead right. "he just needs to calm down, he wants to make a play so bad..." Some QBs have the cool demeanor and some don't. You can rattle the latter.
    Guys like Flacco and Russell Wilson look like they just smoked some kush, relaxed, laid back almost to a fault. It's a quality that most don't have in competitive sports IMO

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

I liked Boller. When the line played well, he played well. When the line was getting blown back into him, he got crazy and was too erratic. He certainly took a beating better than most players on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    I liked Boller. When the line played well, he played well. When the line was getting blown back into him, he got crazy and was too erratic. He certainly took a beating better than most players on the team.
    He had no touch on his passes though.

I liked it when he got hurt. I feel bad about that. I have repented with sackcloth and ashes.

Flashback Friday: Time for Some Tough Love for Boller

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    I liked Boller, too. He was a stand-up guy. But he just didn't have "it" on the field. He would trip over his own lineman at least once a game. I think I have seen Flacco do that once in his career. He also had a tough time taking care of the ball. I remember a close game in Denver and he scrambled out of the pocket and just fumbled the ball - untouched. I think it bounced off his leg as he was running with it in one hand. That was typical Kyle.
    Last edited by JohnBKistler; 08-30-2016 at 02:51 PM.

Blog Entries

I will say they didn't do any favors frying his braining, leading to that shot-put motion.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    I liked Boller, too. He was a stand-up guy. But he just didn't have "it" on the field. He would trip over his own lineman at least once a game. I think I have seen Flacco do that once in his career. He also had a tough time taking care of the ball. I remember a close game in Denver and he scrambled out of the pocket and just fumbled the ball - untouched. I think it bounced off his leg as he was running with it in one hand. That was typical Kyle.
    Billick recommended a sports psychologist for Boller after that Broncos game

Blog Entries

I will never forget that game against undefeated NE. Coldest game I remember and Ravens had it won. Damn penalties and then Rex calls that timeout. ugh.

But Boller played pretty well up until the Harrison INT and Billick kiss

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by saintmatthew View Post
    He had no touch on his passes though.
    In 2005 he had back to back games Monday night before Christmas against Greenbay and Minnesota Christmas eve where he looked better than Brett Favre. They actually pulled Brett Favre from the Monday night game and put in Aaron Rodgers. The score was 48-3 the Greenbay game. Then 30-20 against Minny. I thought he had turned the corner and was going to be who we all had hoped he would, but alas...

http://www.footballdb.com/games/boxs...gid=2005121901