Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Build Your Coaching Staff (Fun Thread, not Serious)

You're the new GM of a team. You get to hire your coaching staff and you have to fill the following positions:

The Rules:
    - Current NFL Head Coaches cannot be selected.
    - Current NFL coordinators cannot be selected for coordinator positions (no lateral moves)
    - Lateral moves are fair game for positional coaches.
    - Former NFL Head Coaches currently not with a team are fair game.
    - Folks must be alive and reasonable selections (in other words, no Vince Lombardi and even though John Madden is still alive, it is UNLIKELY that he'd be interested in coaching)
    - Collegiate Coaches are fair game.

List a name and give some perspective into your selection.

1. Head Coach
    2. Offensive Coordinator
    3. Defensive Coordinator
    4. QB Coach
    5. RB Coach
    6. WR/TE Coach
    7. OL Coach
    8. DL Coach
    9. LB Coach
    10. DB Coach
    11. ST's Coach
    Last edited by wickedsolo; 08-24-2016 at 08:03 AM.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Re: Build Your Coaching Staff (Fun Thread, not Serious)

Here are my selections:

1. Head Coach - Jim Harbaugh. I guess this may be cheating in a way? I don't care. He has a history of taking mediocre teams and turning them into great programs. He's an outstanding offensive mind and while some may not appreciate his antics on the field, I see it as passion. That's what I want from my head coach - Passion for the game and passion for winning.

2. Offensive Coordinator - Pat Shurmur. I think Shurmur got a bit of a raw deal with the Eagles. However, he was part of an extremely prolific offensive unit. I like Shurmur's background and I think he'd mesh well with Jim Harbaugh.

3. Defensive Coordinator - Mike Vrabel. I think he's done a lot of great things with the Texans and at Ohio State before that. An effective pass-rush is so vital in today's NFL and who better than a former DE/OLB?

4. QB Coach - Dave Warner. Warner is currently a co-offensive coordinator at Michigan State, but he has had a heavy hand in coaching Kirk Cousins, Connor Cook, and Nick Foles. He's also been a big part of coaching their running backs, which has included Le'veon Bell and Jeremy Langford (Bears current starter).

5. RB Coach - Thomas Brown. Brown is currently the co-offensive coordinator and RB's coach at University of Miami. Previously, he was the RB's coach at Georgia and prior to that, Wisconsin. Brown has coached a lot of top flight NFL talent at RB including Melvin Gordon, Knowshon Moreno, Nick Chubb, James White, and Kieth Marshall.

6. WR/TE Coach - Jerry Sullivan. Never thought I'd be interested in poaching a guy from Jacksonville, but look at how productive Allen Robinson and Allen Hurns have been. I want that running my receivers and tight ends.

7. OL Coach - John Matsko. I don't care what anyone says, Matsko can coach an OL. He got the best out of Michael Oher while in Baltimore and he currently has Oher playing at a high level at left tackle.

8. DL Coach - Brentson Buckner. After watching the Amazon feature on Arizona Cardinals, I came away impressed with Buckner as a coach. He challenges his players and he has their respect.

9. LB Coach - Luke Fickell. He's currently the defensive coordinator for Ohio State and has churned out top flight defensive talent for years. He's got an eye for good players and he seems to do really well with linebackers and pass-rushers.

10. DB Coach - Kevin Ross. Ross is the cornerbacks coach for the Arizona Cardinals right now. The talent he's had to work with has been excellent, but he's gotten a lot of production from lesser known guys such as Jerraud Powers and Tony Jefferson.

11. ST's Coach - John Olivo. Olivo is currently the Assistant ST's coordinator for Kansas City. Dustin Colquitt has become one of the top punters in the league and the Chiefs have done a lot with a return-by-committee approach.

Awesome thread Wicked.

I dont know a lot about other positional coaches around the league, so I'm looking forward to reading responses.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

I must ponder this...
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    Awesome thread Wicked.

I dont know a lot about other positional coaches around the league, so I'm looking forward to reading responses.
    Which is exactly why I wanted to start a thread like this.

Collectively, the board knows a lot about current players in the NFL and even in college, but I thought maybe correlating those players and productivity with coaches would be kind of interesting for RSR members.

Head Coach - David Shaw - this is the best coaching prospect in my opinion
    OC - Mike Leach - I'd be looking for someone who goes balls out
    DC - DJ Durkin - seems like he can relate to players
    QB - Pat Shurmur - most qualified that fit the criteria
    RB - Eric Bieniemy - West and Ware WTF are they and they didn't miss a beat with Charles down
    WR/TE - Keenan Mccardell - Diggs was so polished coming into the league and he made Deon Long a prospect
    OL - Bill Callahan - the answer here is him or Tom Cable
    DL - Pepper Johnson - all the Jets rookies turn into monsters
    LB - Mike Vrabel - most overqualified
    DB - Leslie Frasier - most overqualified
    ST - Jerry Rosburg - our ST and coaching staff are focuses for Harbaugh so I trust his judgement

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cleaver View Post
    Head Coach - David Shaw - this is the best coaching prospect in my opinion
    OC - Mike Leach - I'd be looking for someone who goes balls out
    DC - DJ Durkin - seems like he can relate to players
    QB - Pat Shurmur - most qualified that fit the criteria
    RB - Eric Bieniemy - West and Ware WTF are they and they didn't miss a beat with Charles down
    WR/TE - Keenan Mccardell - Diggs was so polished coming into the league and he made Deon Long a prospect
    OL - Bill Callahan - the answer here is him or Tom Cable
    DL - Pepper Johnson - all the Jets rookies turn into monsters
    LB - Mike Vrabel - most overqualified
    DB - Leslie Frasier - most overqualified
    ST - Jerry Rosburg - our ST and coaching staff are focuses for Harbaugh so I trust his judgement
    Interesting.

I really like the Keenan McCardell, Bill Callahan, and Pepper Johnson picks. Excellent coaches.

I actually considered Bill Callahan for offensive coordinator too.

Blog Entries

hmm let me think about this one I have so much options

Blog Entries

Current Browns GM (nobody knows who that is because they change so frequently) wants to respond to wicked's thread :

"Head Coach = Rich Kotite due to his experience and because nobody remembers how awful he was as a HC.

Offensive Coordinator = Rob Chudzinski is a creative young mind. What's that, he's been here and fired already. What about Brad Childress, Norv Turner, or Kyle Shanahan? Oh they've all been run out of Cleveland too? I'll get back to you on this if I still have a job here.

Defensive Coordinator = Ah this is an easy one. Dean Pees after he's fired in Baltimore. It must be so because virtually everyone on the RSR board says so."

Recorded word for word by... Bc
    Last edited by BcRaven; 08-24-2016 at 11:20 AM.

HC: Sean McDermott - He has done extremely well running Carolina's defense. I think he is an up and coming coach who could've been a shoe-in for the HC job in Philly this past year.

OC: Urban Meyer - One of the best offensive minds in all of college football.

DC: Will Muschamp - Has a lot of experience coaching top defensive teams in NCAA.

QB: Jim Harbaugh - Given that this is a fantasy scenario, there is no better QB coach than Jim Harbaugh. All ego's aside, Meyer and Harbaugh would concoct a hell of an offensive system.

RB: Tim Spencer - A great RB coach who has coached along side Drake in Chicago.

WR/TE: Darryl Drake - Has developed and sustained a great WR core in AZ. Brings a lot of NFL experience.

OL: Tom Cable - As stated above, it's either him or Callahan.

DL: Clarence Brooks - Enough said.

LB: Mike Vrabel - Tons of experience and was obviously a great player. Connects with current players well.

DB: Steve Wilks - McDermott brings him over from Carolina.

ST: Jerry Rosburg - Arguably the best ST coach in the NFL.

Cool thread concept, Wicked.

Head Coach - David Shaw, Stanford. Has maintained, and arguably surpassed, the success Jim Harbaugh built at Stanford. Intelligent, even-keeled (unlike his predecessor) with a strong NFL pedigree (son of NFL coach and 9 years of head coaching experience).

Offensive Coordinator - Lane Kiffin, OC Alabama. For all his personality warts, he's a top-notch offensive mind with NFL coaching experience. Schematically, he fits the sort of offense Shaw has run at Stanford, and he's shown he can behave when out of the spotlight.

Defensive Coordinator - Jeremy Pruitt, Alabama DC/ILB coach. Coordinated FSU to the top scoring defense in the country (and National Championship) in 2013. Turned Georgia's defense around the next two years, and was targeted by Nick Saban to take over for the departed Kirby Smart this season. I trust Nick Saban on defensive hires.

QB Coach - Carl Smith, Seattle QB coach - Did you know that Russell Wilson has had a top-10 QB rating every season he's been in the league? The only other QBs to do that over the same time frame? Drew Brees. That's it. That's the list.

RB Coach - Eric Bieniemy, RB coach, KC. At his previous stop in Minnesota, turned Chester Taylor into a 1200 yard back, then coached AP to four straight Pro Bowl appearances. In KC, coached Jamal Charles into an all-purpose monster (and 1st Team All-Pro) and manufactured an effective RB position out of no=names when Charles went down.

WR Coach - Chad O'Shea, WR coach, New England. Wes Welker, Julian Edleman, Brandon LaFell, Danny Amendola. He's taken players without dominant physical gifts and turned them into solid or elite receivers by teaching them technique and guile. Anybody can coach a Megatron into an All-Pro, but an undrafted, 5'9" WR with a 4.65 40? That takes some coaching.

TE Coach - Mike Pope, TE coach, Dallas. Got a raw deal in New York, but has been in the league forever and coached 5 Pro Bowl TEs. Highly respected.

OL Coach - Bill Callahan, OL coach, Washington. Helped to build/develop current Cowboys offensive line. Tons of NFL OL coaching experience.

DL Coach - Marion Hobby, DE coach, Clemson. Played in the league, coached in the league, has coordinating experience. Developed the following guys into NFL draftees: Gaines Adams, Da'Quan Bowers, Andre Branch, Malliciah Goodman, Vic Beasley, Shaq Lawson, Kevin Dodd. Coached Will Smith to his first Pro Bowl in 2006.

LB Coach - Jim Leavitt, DC, Colorado. Oversaw the best LB unit in football under Harbaugh with the 49ers.

DB Coach - Steve Wilks, DB coach, Carolina. Josh Norman, team led NFL in interceptions.

ST's Coach - Jerry Rosburg, ST coach, Ballmer. Have to give a shout-out to one of our guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Iscull View Post
    HC: Sean McDermott - He has done extremely well running Carolina's defense. I think he is an up and coming coach who could've been a shoe-in for the HC job in Philly this past year.

OC: Urban Meyer - One of the best offensive minds in all of college football.

DC: Will Muschamp - Has a lot of experience coaching top defensive teams in NCAA.

QB: Jim Harbaugh - Given that this is a fantasy scenario, there is no better QB coach than Jim Harbaugh. All ego's aside, Meyer and Harbaugh would concoct a hell of an offensive system.

RB: Tim Spencer - A great RB coach who has coached along side Drake in Chicago.

WR/TE: Darryl Drake - Has developed and sustained a great WR core in AZ. Brings a lot of NFL experience.

OL: Tom Cable - As stated above, it's either him or Callahan.

DL: Clarence Brooks - Enough said.

LB: Mike Vrabel - Tons of experience and was obviously a great player. Connects with current players well.

DB: Steve Wilks - McDermott brings him over from Carolina.

ST: Jerry Rosburg - Arguably the best ST coach in the NFL.
    While this is a fantasy scenario, pretty sure Wicked intended it to be at least somewhat realistic (i.e., your picks are supposed to be attainable for the position). So Meyer, Harbaugh, and probably Muschamp are out.