Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Dallas game tips?

Quote Originally Posted by The Fanatic View Post
    Dallas is much much bigger and spread out versus a place like New Orleans.
    New Orleans you could clearly get a gauge as to what was happening just by being in the French Quarter....that ain't happening in Dallas.

You'd never, ever confuse Big D with N'Awlins!
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

New Orleans you could clearly get a gauge as to what was happening just by being in the French Quarter....that ain't happening in Dallas.
    I do not know. You put a bunch of Ravens' Fans together and they seem to congregate like a bunch of Lawyers at an accident scene [being one gives me the right to self-inflict].
    Captain Offense

I'm pretty sure I'll be at the game. Gonna wait till last minute to get tickets like T.

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    You'd never, ever confuse Big D with N'Awlins!
    Never been to Dallas so I honestly can't say but I find it hard to believe that there's another city that compares to New Orleans.
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post
    I'm pretty sure I'll be at the game. Gonna wait till last minute to get tickets like T.
    I'm on the cusp of picking up sideline clubs at the current going rate for end zone nosebleeds, so I may go ahead & commit now!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Never been to Dallas so I honestly can't say but I find it hard to believe that there's another city that compares to New Orleans.
    I'm a little bit biased -- being that Mrs. T and our only son were both born there + we lived there for three years + I attended just about every Saints game when we did + dozens & dozens of social/biz trips there for many years with lots of Saints fans friends + I will likely attend the Ravens-Saints 4th fucking exhibition game next week in the Superdome!

That stated: I agree. :word There is no better place to visit in the USA for a good time than "the Big Easy".
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Blog Entries

I'm looking for tickets to this game....what sites would you recommend for fair prices?

Quote Originally Posted by RavensNest View Post
    I'm looking for tickets to this game....what sites would you recommend for fair prices?
    They are seriously overpriced at the moment. I have a friend who is also a broker - primarily servicing heathen Redskins fans who visit Dallas - Ft Worth annually. He knows Cowboys road trip ticketing well. He stated that there were 14,000 resell tickets available and predicted nowhere near 14,000 demand. His recommendation was to buy SWA tickets (non-refundable but reusable withing 365 days from purchase) and wait it out until mid-November (eve of Thanksgiving Holiday), when sellers would panic by slashing prices. The fall-back is to take the SRO's, currently going for $25.

I, of course, am following every lead available until that time to try to nail good seats reasonably priced.

Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post
    I live in Dallas proper. Pecan Lodge is the consensus #1 BBQ spot in town and one of the best in the country (if you look on the wall there you'll see the accolades match their reputation). As a result, it is very crowded but if you arrive at opening (11am) the line usually isn't too bad. I went at that time two weekends ago and the line was only at the door, so it took about 15 mins to get to the counter. They are fast once you've ordered.

If you can't get there, Lockhart's in the Bishop Arts District is number 2.

If you like beers there is also a great brewery within about a mile of Pecan Lodge called Deep Ellum brewery. Can't go wrong with most of those beers. I'd also recommend trying their beers at any local bar, as it will be at most of them.

If you want to get a true taste of Texas, The Rustic is a nice bar/restaurant that specializes in Texas beers/spirits and food. Usually they also have live music playing on a nice sized stage. In November in Texas you will probably still be able to sit outside and this is a great spot for that.

I would definitely recommend getting some tacos while you're there as well. Although Dallas can't really compete with Austin or San Antonio as far as tacos go, Velvet Taco is definitely a place to go. They have a lot of creative twists on tacos. Second would be Torchy's Tacos, a local chain. They're good if you like spicyness, which I do.

if you want some old fashioned Tex-Mex, most will tell you to go to El Fenix because it's kind of a local chain but you can do better. Desperado's on Greenville is good for authentic Tex-Mex.

For some legit Mexican food, aka not Tex-Mex, I would go to Javier's in Highland Park. It has the added bonus of being a cigar bar. Fair warning, you may rub elbows with some of the Dallas elite, because it's a place to be. The food is legit, though.

Finally, there is a really cool comfort food themed restaurant in the Lower Greenville area called Remedy. It reminds me of a modernized soda fountain. Their cocktails are great and the food is as well. But the best part are their desserts. Homeade pies and giant bowls of ice cream are among what they offer.
    I appreciate it! What's the deal with Pecan Lodge? If I get there around 1 or something, do they run out of food? I've been to many bbq places in the south where things like that frequently happened. I like going to the best places, so Pecan Lodge sounds good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ravens56 View Post
    I appreciate it! What's the deal with Pecan Lodge? If I get there around 1 or something, do they run out of food? I've been to many bbq places in the south where things like that frequently happened. I like going to the best places, so Pecan Lodge sounds good to me.
    Yes and it's common amongst BBQ joints, especially the really good ones. Smokers only have so much room and because the meat is smoked, you can't just throw more meat on when you run out.

Brisket and pork butt take upwards of 12 hours to cook, spare ribs about 7 hours, baby backs 6 hours, etc.

Franklin BBQ in Austin routinely runs out around 1pm and people line up as early as 9am.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Yes and it's common amongst BBQ joints, especially the really good ones. Smokers only have so much room and because the meat is smoked, you can't just throw more meat on when you run out.

Brisket and pork butt take upwards of 12 hours to cook, spare ribs about 7 hours, baby backs 6 hours, etc.

Franklin BBQ in Austin routinely runs out around 1pm and people line up as early as 9am.
    What time should I line up by at Pecan Lodge? Also, what are your other BBQ spots where I don't have to line up early?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ravens56 View Post
    What time should I line up by at Pecan Lodge? Also, what are your other BBQ spots where I don't have to line up early?

Thanks
    I've only been to Pecan Lodge once and we lined up at 10. It was worth the wait.

Not too familiar with Dallas area Q joints so can't really recommend other places.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I've only been to Pecan Lodge once and we lined up at 10. It was worth the wait.

Not too familiar with Dallas area Q joints so can't really recommend other places.
    How are the portion sizes?