Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Dallas game tips?

Hey folks,

I am considering going to the Ravens game in Dallas this season. If anyoneh as advice, that would be great. Also, how are the fans there and what things have you experienced seeing a game in Dallas?

Re: Dallas game tips?

I have visited Dallas scores of times, but this November will be my first Ravens game there. If their football fans are like their citizens, I expect general warmth, courtesy, friendliness.

I understand that there are 14,000 tickets being offered on the secondary market, so a sell-out immediately before Thanksgiving may not happen (i.e. I plan to wait until the last minute before buying game tickets. On the other hand, there aren't many flights still available under $300 r/t for that weekend, most are closer to $400 - $500 r/t
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Been to Dallas to see the Ravens twice (2008, 2015 preseason).....Dallas fans are very polite and very knowledgeable....both games have been very good experiences...not a fan of the new stadium...video boards are a distraction and the acres of open space in each end zone takes away from the atmosphere.

I already bought tickets....be prepared as you will pay almost twice face value or more for lower sections. I recommend staying out by the airport (DFW) and find a shuttle/uber going to the stadium. Parking at the stadium and satellite lots is $$$$.

Quote Originally Posted by knots View Post
    Been to Dallas to see the Ravens twice (2008, 2015 preseason).....Dallas fans are very polite and very knowledgeable....both games have been very good experiences...not a fan of the new stadium...video boards are a distraction and the acres of open space in each end zone takes away from the atmosphere.

I already bought tickets....be prepared as you will pay almost twice face value or more for lower sections. I recommend staying out by the airport (DFW) and find a shuttle/uber going to the stadium. Parking at the stadium and satellite lots is $$$$.

What are the good food spots? I haven't been to Dallas in years.

5. Re: Dallas game tips?

Quote Originally Posted by ravens56 View Post
    The Boiling Crab if you can.

http://www.theboilingcrab.com/media/...%2007.2016.PDF

What kind of cuisine do you like?

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    What kind of cuisine do you like?
    Anything esoteric, though I would prefer some good BBQ. Any places?

I live in Dallas proper. Pecan Lodge is the consensus #1 BBQ spot in town and one of the best in the country (if you look on the wall there you'll see the accolades match their reputation). As a result, it is very crowded but if you arrive at opening (11am) the line usually isn't too bad. I went at that time two weekends ago and the line was only at the door, so it took about 15 mins to get to the counter. They are fast once you've ordered.

If you can't get there, Lockhart's in the Bishop Arts District is number 2.

If you like beers there is also a great brewery within about a mile of Pecan Lodge called Deep Ellum brewery. Can't go wrong with most of those beers. I'd also recommend trying their beers at any local bar, as it will be at most of them.

If you want to get a true taste of Texas, The Rustic is a nice bar/restaurant that specializes in Texas beers/spirits and food. Usually they also have live music playing on a nice sized stage. In November in Texas you will probably still be able to sit outside and this is a great spot for that.

I would definitely recommend getting some tacos while you're there as well. Although Dallas can't really compete with Austin or San Antonio as far as tacos go, Velvet Taco is definitely a place to go. They have a lot of creative twists on tacos. Second would be Torchy's Tacos, a local chain. They're good if you like spicyness, which I do.

if you want some old fashioned Tex-Mex, most will tell you to go to El Fenix because it's kind of a local chain but you can do better. Desperado's on Greenville is good for authentic Tex-Mex.

For some legit Mexican food, aka not Tex-Mex, I would go to Javier's in Highland Park. It has the added bonus of being a cigar bar. Fair warning, you may rub elbows with some of the Dallas elite, because it's a place to be. The food is legit, though.

Finally, there is a really cool comfort food themed restaurant in the Lower Greenville area called Remedy. It reminds me of a modernized soda fountain. Their cocktails are great and the food is as well. But the best part are their desserts. Homeade pies and giant bowls of ice cream are among what they offer.

s.r's list is pretty comprehensive. Just my preference, but I'd put Torchy's above Velvet based off of their fantastic queso.

One place I would add is Al Biernat's. Yes, it's pricey but if you're a foodie, you will not be disappointed.

https://www.albiernats.com/

+1 to Pecan Lodge, Lockharts & Deep Ellum brewery.

I've only lived here about two weeks but I have hit all three of those and SR is spot on.

If youre thinking about making the trip, try Southwest airlines to Love Field. Its FAR more pleasant than DFW. Also, Id book now. Thats the weekend before Thanksgiving so bargains on hotels and airfare will be hard to come by.

If anyone is planning to go, it would be cool to get a group together.

As far as getting to the game, staying out by the airport is convenient for getting to the stadium but just be aware that you are stuck in suburbia hell, 30 mins from both Fort Worth and Dallas. There is nothing of interest near you. So, although there is no public transport that goes to the stadium, if you are planning on making a trip out of your stay in Dallas (Aka staying 3-4 days) I would just recommend staying in the city.

As far as getting in and out of the stadium, it takes a while but it's no worse than the Vault. Once you're on the highway usually you're OK. Getting on the highway can take some time but they seem to have a decent system down. Parking will be pricey, as will everything in the stadium but you knew that already.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    s.r's list is pretty comprehensive. Just my preference, but I'd put Torchy's above Velvet based off of their fantastic queso.

One place I would add is Al Biernat's. Yes, it's pricey but if you're a foodie, you will not be disappointed.

https://www.albiernats.com/
    Torchy's queso is fantastic.