Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

OT: The Last Goodbye (Michael Phelps)

“It’s what you do in the dark that puts you into the light…”

Michael Phelps has had his fair share of issues outside the swimming pool. From DUI’s to speeding tickets and bong hits, he seemed like a train wreck in the making. And that saddened many of us who are native Baltimoreans and shared pride in one of our own.

It’s easy to forget that Phelps in many ways, was just a kid at heart when many of these egregious blunders took place, blunders accentuated by his celebrity. He was a 20-something, and who among us didn’t make mistakes during those formidable years?

For Phelps, it was probably even more difficult than it was for you and me.

Let’s try and put ourselves into his Speedo.

Think about the endless hours he spent in the pool when his friends were out doing things that kids of his age do. Think about what he might have missed as he remained committed to the pool, steadfast in his resolve, focused upon greatness.

You understand that greatness comes with sacrifice. Among the sacrifices is your youth.

Yet the itch to explore, experiment and experience new things, never goes away – only ignored, in part. It’s human nature.

And then one day, when you think you might soon hang up the goggles and swimming cap for the last time, all of that emotion that had been bottled up for so long, bursts and manifests itself into behavior that isn’t exactly honorable, to say the least.

Ridicule comes your way. Parents criticize and wonder what kind of role model you are.

“How shameful!”, they say.

One day someone you admire inspires you. You realize through the gifted epiphany how extremely unique your gifts are and instead of walking from them, you embrace them – wholeheartedly. Yes, you’ve sipped from the cup of greatness, but now you have an opportunity to redefine it and become the standard upon which all other achievement will be measured.

Like The Grinch who finally realized the true meaning of Christmas, you feel invigorated.

You will not be denied.

You have battled adversity. You’ve conquered it. It’s a sign you see in your rearview mirror and there are only blue skies ahead.

So what kind of role model are you?

A real one. One who made mistakes. You refuse to allow those mistakes to define you.

Only unparalleled greatness will.

That’s the story, at least in part, of Michael Phelps today.

What happens from this point forward is anyone’s guess. But if ever a picture told a story, it was Michael Phelps standing proudly upon that top step, adorned in gold as the Star Spangled Banner played – the anthem written just a few miles from his backyard. It was a picture of pride, accomplishment – and when those tears welled up, it told a tale of climbing back into the light.

For Phelps, it will be his last goodbye, his Olympic swansong.

And what a joy it’s been for not only Baltimoreans, but also Americans and people throughout the world to say they have witnessed a once in a thousand years athlete.

Here’s to your next chapter Michael.

May it bring you the peace and happiness you’ve earned.

LINK

(Press play and prepare to be inspired!)

Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Re: OT: The Last Goodbye (Michael Phelps)

Great tribute, TL!! I agree 100% with everything you said. No one is excusing his previous DUIs and bong hits. People do make mistakes, and Michael is Human, although his historic Olympic medal count may suggest otherwise.

What I really admire about this guy, and all great athletes in general, is his Focus, his Mental Toughness, both in his training and his races - he reminds of a great thoroughbred who was born to race, and his Drive to be the best, which he is!

So, Michael, we all here in Ravens Nation applaud your unparalleled accomplishments and are very proud that you represent the city of Baltimore! May you find peace and happiness in your future endeavors!

Looking forward to you being named as an honorary captain at one of the upcoming Ravens games when you will receive a standing O!
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

Let's see when 2020 rolls around. LOL Phelps is a great story , as no one is perfect. Though some claim to be, SMH. People that learn from their mistakes are a good example for others.

If it was only DUI's and bong hits, I'd be fully on board.

As a frequent critic of his, I do have to admit he does seem to have finally turned a corner in terms of maturity and and being respectful. Maybe this leopard did indeed change his spots. I certainly hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenjoe View Post
    Great tribute, TL!! I agree 100% with everything you said. No one is excusing his previous DUIs and bong hits. People do make mistakes, and Michael is Human, although his historic Olympic medal count may suggest otherwise.

What I really admire about this guy, and all great athletes in general, is his Focus, his Mental Toughness, both in his training and his races - he reminds of a great thoroughbred who was born to race, and his Drive to be the best, which he is!

So, Michael, we all here in Ravens Nation applaud your unparalleled accomplishments and are very proud that you represent the city of Baltimore! May you find peace and happiness in your future endeavors!

Looking forward to you being named as an honorary captain at one of the upcoming Ravens games when you will receive a standing O!
    :respect
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Him being diagnosed with ADD, his story is greater then some realize. If you've ever had ADD or a child with it, you are aware of the tasks ahead. Great parenting by his Mom.

Ray's advice to Phelps. Take note of the last paragraph, LOL

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/o...813-story.html

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lovefootball View Post
    Ray's advice to Phelps. Take note of the last paragraph, LOL

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/o...813-story.html
    Okay, so I guess that officially makes the debate: Ripken vs. Brooks for the fourth spot.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Okay, so I guess that officially makes the debate: Ripken vs. Brooks for the fourth spot.
    Older guys want Brooks, end of discussion, LOL. You younger guys missed a great Oriole player. But we agree on Unitas.

And yes, Phelps has made MD proud with his career. At least the MD people who accept athletes who are not perfect (including Ray Lewis).

Him being diagnosed with ADD, his story is greater then some realize. If you've ever had ADD or a child with it, you are aware of the tasks ahead. Great parenting by his Mom.
    You are 100% on the mark!! Thank-you for mentioning his affliction! For all of those fans out there who ignorantly berate him, Michael has battled 'demons' his entire life! I am a parent of a child with ADHD, and I know the 'struggles' she endures on a daily basis! For Michael to have accomplished what he has, given his diagnosis, he is an incredibly strong individual, and he deserves all of our support and adoration! Thanks for posting!
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

Blog Entries

It's been great watching him this year. He's really matured

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Older guys want Brooks, end of discussion, LOL. You younger guys missed a great Oriole player. But we agree on Unitas.

And yes, Phelps has made MD proud with his career. At least the MD people who accept athletes who are not perfect (including Ray Lewis).
    You are 100% on the mark!! Thank-you for mentioning his affliction! For all of those fans out there who ignorantly berate him, Michael has battled 'demons' his entire life! I am a parent of a child with ADHD, and I know the 'struggles' she endures on a daily basis! For Michael to have accomplished what he has, given his diagnosis, he is an incredibly strong individual, and he deserves all of our support and adoration! Thanks for posting!
    :respect