Page 4 of 183 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Official Training Camp Thread

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    Wicked made a good point. Williams can collapse the pocket on 3rd down in the same way Ngata used to. While he's not a pass rusher, he's a useful piece. Could give teams headaches if he's collapsing the pocket and they're sending Correa up the middle (Is Pees smart enough to do that though?)

But yeha I agree. It's hard to fault the Ravens too much on these contracts. They can't predict Jimmy and Webb's injuries, Ray Rice's punch and Pitta's hip.

Until we start to make good signings again I'll be on their ass
    that's one of his aspects to his game he may not generate pass rush but he does soak up blocks

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    that's one of his aspects to his game he may not generate pass rush but he does soak up blocks
    We've all been saying this team needs to reform their identity.

They say the way to build a defense is from the inside out. So locking down B-Will and Mosely as the next two leaders of the Ravens defense makes a lot of sense. If we had a young safety to hold down the backside we'd have strength up the middle of the entire defense. For right now that is Weddle. That's a strong group in the middle.

During the Ravens insanely good defenses of the 2000's, it was Kelly Gregg holding down the middle with Ray in the 2nd line and Reed in the 3rd. Of course they had great players in other spots, but those 3 were the foundation. Before Gregg we had Goose and Adams. After Gregg we had Ngata.

We've always had a foundational NT/DT.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    We've all been saying this team needs to reform their identity.

They say the way to build a defense is from the inside out. So locking down B-Will and Mosely as the next two leaders of the Ravens defense makes a lot of sense. If we had a young safety to hold down the backside we'd have strength up the middle of the entire defense. For right now that is Weddle. That's a strong group in the middle.

During the Ravens insanely good defenses of the 2000's, it was Kelly Gregg holding down the middle with Ray in the 2nd line and Reed in the 3rd. Of course they had great players in other spots, but those 3 were the foundation. Before Gregg we had Goose and Adams. After Gregg we had Ngata.

We've always had a foundational NT/DT.
    I agree it starts with upfront, I would really like to see another DT emerge, I am not sure why Jernigan hasn't turned it on yet, he can be a force when he is on his game plus he has some pass rush abilities, but someone opposite to B. Will needs to step up, whether Carl Davis or Jernigan, we have always had two solid interior linemen on this defense who can take on double teams which allows the backers and ends to have more free passing lanes we need to get back to that as well.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GirlsKickButt View Post
    But it also goes to BWill's stepping up to being a mentor and embracing his role as a vet on this team. I love BWill.
    Well when you want big money, it's not always just about your contributions on the field. If you show leadership qualities on the sidelines, in the locker room and away from the facility, that is a plus.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

I agree it starts with upfront, I would really like to see another DT emerge, I am not sure why Jernigan hasn't turned it on yet, he can be a force when he is on his game plus he has some pass rush abilities, but someone opposite to B. Will needs to step up, whether Carl Davis or Jernigan, we have always had two solid interior linemen on this defense who can take on double teams which allows the backers and ends to have more free passing lanes we need to get back to that as well.
    Jernigan is a real enigma. At times he looks great. I'd even go so far to say as one of the reasons why the team felt the could trade Ngata was because of how well Jernigan played when Ngata was suspended. Last year he gets the job and half the time he's just gone, a complete non-factor. It's bizarre. Who is Timmy Jernigan? We know what he could be but he's got to start living up to that potential and playing that way all the time

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Well when you want big money, it's not always just about your contributions on the field. If you show leadership qualities on the sidelines, in the locker room and away from the facility, that is a plus.
    Impressing Harbaugh is #1 though, that's the guy who will make or break a players career. Bwill has upside for sure. Whether the Ravens break the bank on him remains to be seen

Blog Entries

Locking down Williams means you have one less position to worry about. The only thing with Williams is that he is unlikely to develop the pass rush abilities that Ngata did, but Ngata was a rare talent. He's also not going to be getting any pick sixes or running fumbles back for touchdowns.

Having Williams in the middle makes everyone's job easier. It keeps the backers clean. It pretty much cuts out the option of running up the middle and it forces a double team that frees up rushers.

Even if they give Williams a deal that looks like they overpaid, the way the cap is going, I could see it not looking like a big deal in a couple of years. Better that than to let him go, try to replace him and then have the defense getting ran all over.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Locking down Williams means you have one less position to worry about. The only thing with Williams is that he is unlikely to develop the pass rush abilities that Ngata did, but Ngata was a rare talent. He's also not going to be getting any pick sixes or running fumbles back for touchdowns.

Having Williams in the middle makes everyone's job easier. It keeps the backers clean. It pretty much cuts out the option of running up the middle and it forces a double team that frees up rushers.

Even if they give Williams a deal that looks like they overpaid, the way the cap is going, I could see it not looking like a big deal in a couple of years. Better that than to let him go, try to replace him and then have the defense getting ran all over.
    :word

This point was made in the other thread that made me change my mind.

Well said sword. You slayed it
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Jernigan is a real enigma. At times he looks great. I'd even go so far to say as one of the reasons why the team felt the could trade Ngata was because of how well Jernigan played when Ngata was suspended. Last year he gets the job and half the time he's just gone, a complete non-factor. It's bizarre. Who is Timmy Jernigan? We know what he could be but he's got to start living up to that potential and playing that way all the time
    I am not sure why he has regressed but that's about every young player on this defense they have all regressed in some way shape or form, I hate to point the finger at the same ole same ole but his scheme is the only common denominator in this whole thing when discussing this defense it's issues.

Blog Entries

I agree just not for 8-9mil a year, 6-7mil I am on-board keeping B.Will. We need another one to compliment him it would make things so much nicer for our pass rush and run support.

I agree just not for 8-9mil a year, 6-7mil I am on-board keeping B.Will. We need another one to compliment him it would make things so much nicer for our pass rush and run support.
    I hope it's something around Linval Joseph money and not Damon Harrison money.

There's a good chance BWill rolls the dice on himself and waits till next year. If he keep improving and takes the next step he's going ot be very good this year.

Could make the difference between 6-7 AAV and 8-9
    - Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    It is bizarre. He is a lot like Pernell McFee was his first couple of years. He shows flashes at times where you are super impressed, then he goes for long stretches where you don't even notice he's on the field. McPhee was kind of like that his 1st two years. The third year is where it really clicked for him and he was dominant. This is Jernigans third year so hopefully he really steps up his game and is consistently making plays and taking up blockers.