Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Ot: Ufc 200

Blog Entries

Re: Ot: Ufc 200

Quote Originally Posted by nickh0801 View Post
    His star power in WWE was big enough for it to still be a huge draw, so he hasn't missed out on that yet, though I don't think he will be the main draw on the card now. He probably could have been earlier when it was announced (I know he needed training time, that's obvious) but the setbacks may have lessened what could have been him as the main draw on a lesser card. Now I think he will need at least one more huge fight to help sell it.
    I agree he still had enough heat I guess to maintain an interest even with the most causal UFC fan. If he wins in sept and wins definitively I can see him getting bigger fights over the next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    I agree he still had enough heat I guess to maintain an interest even with the most causal UFC fan. If he wins in sept and wins definitively I can see him getting bigger fights over the next year.
    Absolutely! I'm not too sure he will be able to win definitively though due to lack of experience, but who knows, he could end up being very good. I think a lot of people already have him written off and getting his ass kicked in his debut match.

at 8x sales what a steal for the cash cow.
    move from ppv to contract cable tv is good too.
    could generate a bil/year in revenue in a few years if all goes well.
    very good deal for everyone

Blog Entries

Based on what I've heard from Dave Meltzer and others, Punk is going to get demolished by the guy they matched him up with, who apparently isn't even that good either. Everything I've read from everyone that's close to that situation but not a hype/yes man basically says he's awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    Based on what I've heard from Dave Meltzer and others, Punk is going to get demolished by the guy they matched him up with, who apparently isn't even that good either. Everything I've read from everyone that's close to that situation but not a hype/yes man basically says he's awful.
    The thing is Mickey Gall is a BJJ expert, which for guys new to the sport is a worst case scenario for a first opponent. Remember Frank Mir easily doing work on Lesnar? It's just such a unique part of the sport that it's difficult to prepare for without a lot of training/amateur bouts. Once Lesnar learned his craft adn got experience he dominated Mir in their rematch using his strengths.

I think that will be a similar outcome with CM Punk.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    The thing is Mickey Gall is a BJJ expert, which for guys new to the sport is a worst case scenario for a first opponent. Remember Frank Mir easily doing work on Lesnar? It's just such a unique part of the sport that it's difficult to prepare for without a lot of training/amateur bouts. Once Lesnar learned his craft adn got experience he dominated Mir in their rematch using his strengths.

I think that will be a similar outcome with CM Punk.
    I can see Punk quitting if he gets his ass kicked easily. I'm a fan of his, but he just seems like he won't stick with it if he gets embarrassed in his debut fight.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I watched just as much Pride as I did UFC. Yes, the rules are different. I never claimed otherwise.

You're making my point with Fedor. When he faced Werdum, he faced him outside the UFC. So yes, when exposed to UFC level talent, he got exposed himself. So while you can make the argument that he wasn't at his best, you can't make the argument about rules being all that different.

Top level talent in their prime in the UFC > Anything Pride had to offer.
    Fedor was well past his prime when that fight took place. That is universally known and acknowledged. And just as you pinpointed that I mentioned two fighters, of the two I mentioned and the reasoning behind it, you only came back with Fedor. And didn't even mention Cro Cop in your most recent post. Fedor had already had a decade reign. That's a lifetime in the business. The idea that you watched just as much of one as the other, doesn't mean you've watched a significant amount, because during that 10 year run, Fedor faced UFC talent on several occasions.
    Last edited by The Excellector; 07-12-2016 at 05:06 PM.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Im not surprised about the cross promotion, because it is good for both. Im surprised the UFC is paying him so much. I mean hes the highest paid fighter. Hes not even a title fight or that good when he was dedicated to the sport. now hes getting 1 fight payoffs like that (2.5m)?

They must see some crossover demos that they need with wrestling fans, but I cant imagine those fans arent already fans. theres enough ex wrestlers fighting that it seems pretty natural to be a fan of both if you are a wrestling fan.
    And that's been going on for years. Shamrock was a wrestler before he trained for "MMA". Even back in the days of him and Severn, this has been going on.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

"wwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnddddddddddeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiiiii............SSSSSSSIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLVVVVVVVVVVVVVAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    "wwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnddddddddddeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiiiii............SSSSSSSIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLVVVVVVVVVVVVVAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

Punk will have a better chance with BJJ than Lesnar. Lesnar was always going to have issues. Guys who go against BJJ without experience in it, usually panic. The panic leads to the tensing of the muscles, which is actually what a BJJ fighter will use against you. It greatly diminishes the time that you can hold off a submission hold and your chances of slipping out of one. It's hard to use brute force against BJJ, because it's such a smooth ground technique of fighting.

Blog Entries

The Axe Murderer clearly toying for television purposes.