Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ot: Ufc 200

Ot: Ufc 200

My interest level in this one just came crashing down with the news that Jones once again tested positive for drugs.

Any UFC fans still ordering this one? I tell you, I am very much on the fence now.

Re: Ot: Ufc 200

I will be watching it, but not paying for it. lol That was the case even before Jones was booted though.

I too am not interested in watching it now though.

I completely lost interest when Connor was kicked off the card, then got most of it back once Jones was announced as the replacement match. Now, even with me being a Meisha Tate fan, I don't really care to watch it. I'd like to see the Lesnar vs Hunt fight, but I don't agree with it being the main event at all. Lesnar is only there for a one off fight (for now) and will be right back in the WWE next week, so there's no way in Hell he deserves to be the main event.

I may still check it out, since I will be watching it for free, but there's no promises that I will make it all the way through it. Can't see myself staying up past midnight to watch a Lesnar fight these days. lol

Blog Entries

I'd probably watch it for free but pay for it? No way

I've been training in combatants basically my whole life. I kickboxed primarily through high school and began MMA in university. Like most that train I was a UFC nut, never missed a show in Canada, and loved it. My interest completely died around 2013 thoygh I still trained. I found it became primarily a ground sport and as an MMA fighter that focuses on staying on my feet I found it boring.

I had become interested at the start of 2016 and was so pumped for this. I even grabbed bellators event to see my idol Rampage (Idol next to the great Chuck Liddell). I still remember UFC 100 and how exciting the whole card was. This looked like a repeat of that excellence.

I got the notification to my phone last night and just sank. Fuck you Jon Jones you piece of shit. He has killed my spirit.

I suddenly have zero interest in the event and I hate that even more that one fight of a great card could make it so underwhelming.

Bones is arguably the greatest UFC fighter of all time rivalled by only GSP and Silva. This just hit his legacy an awful lot IMO. Silva had the steroid issue too but it was after his period of dominance and I don't think hit him as hard as it will Bones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

I'm a Brock Lesnar fan, so I'll still watch. Not sure if I'll actually rent it though. Jones is an idiot. All the talent in the world and can't keep his head on straight.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Blog Entries

I only want to see it for Brock, so I'll probably try to find a stream beforehand and, in the unlikely event that I can't, I'll concede and buy it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    I've been training in combatants basically my whole life. I kickboxed primarily through high school and began MMA in university. Like most that train I was a UFC nut, never missed a show in Canada, and loved it. My interest completely died around 2013 thoygh I still trained. I found it became primarily a ground sport and as an MMA fighter that focuses on staying on my feet I found it boring.

I had become interested at the start of 2016 and was so pumped for this. I even grabbed bellators event to see my idol Rampage (Idol next to the great Chuck Liddell). I still remember UFC 100 and how exciting the whole card was. This looked like a repeat of that excellence.

I got the notification to my phone last night and just sank. Fuck you Jon Jones you piece of shit. He has killed my spirit.

I suddenly have zero interest in the event and I hate that even more that one fight of a great card could make it so underwhelming.

Bones is arguably the greatest UFC fighter of all time rivalled by only GSP and Silva. This just hit his legacy an awful lot IMO. Silva had the steroid issue too but it was after his period of dominance and I don't think hit him as hard as it will Bones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My interest with the sport, and sports of its ilk, began with Pride FC and K-1. My two favorite combatants were Remy Bonjasky and Wanderlei Silva. By the way, you may know Silva, he's Jackson's distant father.

I began losing interest when it became clearer that UFC was watering down their product for television deals and things of such, and I knew they'd buy out Pride. It just wasn't the same. You have Silva and Cro Cop, but they can't stomp or kick somebody in the head while they are down? I basically rolled my eyes and left at that point.

Even now I'm not too impressed. They pumped up Rossi by putting her against opponents they knew wouldn't wipe the floor with her and, before long, they ran out of opponents and had to put her against someone who could school her, which is what happened. Brock shows up and gets a title shot after two whole fights?

Hunt is FAR past his prime and I already have enough examples in my life of how Brock treats fights when he knows he's right back out the door.

I wasn't going to buy it anyway, but I'm not even watching now.
    Last edited by The Excellector; 07-07-2016 at 04:03 PM.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    My interest with the sport, and sports of its ilk, began with Pride FC and K-1. My two favorite combatants were Remy Bonjasky and Wanderlei Silva. By the way, you may know Silva, he's Jackson's distant father.

I began losing interest when it became clearer that UFC was watering down their product for television deals and things of such, and I knew they'd buy out Pride. It just wasn't the same. You have Silva and Cro Cop, but they can't stomp or kick somebody in the head while they are down? I basically rolled my eyes and left at that point.

Even now I'm not too impressed. They pumped up Rossi by putting her against opponents they knew would wipe the floor with her and, before long, they ran out of opponents and had to put her against someone who could school her, which is what happened. Brock shows up and gets a title shot after two whole fights?

Hunt is FAR past his prime and I already have enough examples in my life of how Brock treats fights when he knows he's right back out the door.

I wasn't going to buy it anyway, but I'm not even watching now.
    I should have been more specific about the early days. I too watched Pride and K-1. As a huge Rampage fan, not only do I appreciate the muay thai skills of Silva....I despise them. JK, nothing but respect, in their primes Silva was the better fighter. Rampage didn't beat him till after Silva was out of his prime.

That being said, when Rampage KO'ed Silva in the UFC, he used BY FAR one of the best examples of boxing skills in the octagon. Boxing is very underused in the UFC due to being one dimensional, but his hook blocks followed by a hook were picture perfect. That's the kind of shit I loved. Seeing the different disciplines used in the Octagon was a thing of beauty.

Silva using his MT and GSP using his wrestling are other examples of the beauty of this. Chuck with his kickboxing and sprawling, as well.

The sport will never, IMO, be as good as it was i nthe early days because now everyone is an MMA fighter. In the early days you had kickboxers, BJJ guys and wrestlers fighting MMA, now you have MMA fighters utilizing the different disciplines (yes I know that is the very purpose of the sport), but what I found so awesome about MMA was seeing different guys try and put the whole thign together. I find now they have it together and they use their aresenal to attack the weaknesses of their opponent (again, I understand this is the entire purpose of the sport, but if you were an early UFC fan you can appreciate my observation).

Either way, I don't consider myself an MMA fighter. I am a kickboxer trying to do MMA and most importantly trying not to get taken down to the ground.

Pride was clinically underrated and I think Pride fallign through was a real shame to the sport. One name (UFC) dominating the entire sport did more harm than good IMO. WEC fell through and EliteXC and Bellator are shit compared to when UFC, WEC, Pride, K-1, even King of the Cage in Canada produced good fights.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

The term MMA in itself is so misguided to begin with.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    I should have been more specific about the early days. I too watched Pride and K-1. As a huge Rampage fan, not only do I appreciate the muay thai skills of Silva....I despise them. JK, nothing but respect, in their primes Silva was the better fighter. Rampage didn't beat him till after Silva was out of his prime.

That being said, when Rampage KO'ed Silva in the UFC, he used BY FAR one of the best examples of boxing skills in the octagon. Boxing is very underused in the UFC due to being one dimensional, but his hook blocks followed by a hook were picture perfect. That's the kind of shit I loved. Seeing the different disciplines used in the Octagon was a thing of beauty.

Silva using his MT and GSP using his wrestling are other examples of the beauty of this. Chuck with his kickboxing and sprawling, as well.

The sport will never, IMO, be as good as it was i nthe early days because now everyone is an MMA fighter. In the early days you had kickboxers, BJJ guys and wrestlers fighting MMA, now you have MMA fighters utilizing the different disciplines (yes I know that is the very purpose of the sport), but what I found so awesome about MMA was seeing different guys try and put the whole thign together. I find now they have it together and they use their aresenal to attack the weaknesses of their opponent (again, I understand this is the entire purpose of the sport, but if you were an early UFC fan you can appreciate my observation).

Either way, I don't consider myself an MMA fighter. I am a kickboxer trying to do MMA and most importantly trying not to get taken down to the ground.

Pride was clinically underrated and I think Pride fallign through was a real shame to the sport. One name (UFC) dominating the entire sport did more harm than good IMO. WEC fell through and EliteXC and Bellator are shit compared to when UFC, WEC, Pride, K-1, even King of the Cage in Canada produced good fights.
    I understand what you are talking about. Back when you had the Severns of the world, taking on the Abbotts of the world, taking on the Gracies of the world.

If anyone here is into anime, the best way I can describe what GWNR is trying to say is to watch Baki: The Grappler. The Major underground tournament they have is a very good example of what he's trying to say.

I just got approached last night by a friend who is an owner of a local brewery (Key Brewing) down in the 'Dalk about my interest in the event. He has done some promotion with Jimmy's Seafood and they are having an All You Can Eat buffet and crab feast with UFC 200. They offered him a table of 10 for $600 and he knows my interest in UFC (He has none what-so-ever), so he offered to split the cost with me for my friends. I asked around and lined up 8 of us to go. My buddy bought the table and then this morning I wake up to hear this crap. MAN John Jones is an absolute mental midget!!! I hope my friends don't want to back out on me because of his stupidity...it's still a good card.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I understand what you are talking about. Back when you had the Severns of the world, taking on the Abbotts of the world, taking on the Gracies of the world.

If anyone here is into anime, the best way I can describe what GWNR is trying to say is to watch Baki: The Grappler. The Major underground tournament they have is a very good example of what he's trying to say.
    My point sounds so stupid when I re-read it lol.

But yeah, that's what I'm saying. You'd have to really understand the very beginnign and the entire purpose of the formation of the UFC to understand what I'm saying.

There was just something so cool about seeing these different styles and how the intermingle. And then seeing guys build a defence to their weakness. The best example is Chuck Liddell. A kickboxer. Obviously doesn't want to be on the ground (I Can relate). Chuck developed one of the best wrestling defenses the UFC has ever seen. His sprawl is top notch. Therefore, he defends his weakness and keeps his opponent on his feet to strike the shit out of him (Liddell Vs Tito anyone?)

I just found that so intriguing. Now everyone is so well rounded (again, that's not a criticism - it's just the way training is now) that they can win in multiple ways, which is exciting in it's own right. Guys can knock you out and tap you out, that's pretty cool, but it just doesn't have the same uniqueness as the early days. Going back and watching Royce Gracie is a thing of beauty. How he took down much larger guys and tapped them out through the beauty of BJJ
    - Ray Lewis