Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP Buddy Ryan

Blog Entries

RIP Buddy Ryan

Love him or hate him, Buddy Ryan had a major impact on the NFL. He created a unique style of defense that changed the way the game was played. Rule changes and offensive adjustments have dated 46 defense but that's what forces innovation. Bill Walsh said he never would have perfected his offensive system without facing Buddy Ryan's defenses. Buddy will be missed. My thoughts are with the Ryan family

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/16...an-dies-age-82

Former NFL head coach and influential defensive coordinator Buddy Ryan has died, agent James Solano confirmed Tuesday. He was 82.

Ryan, who coached in the NFL for 26 seasons, was known for building some of football's top defenses behind a relentlessness that focused on creating havoc on the field.

He was on the defensive staff of the Super Bowl-winning New York Jets in Super Bowl III in 1968. The Chicago Bears carried Ryan off the field next to coach Mike Ditka after Ryan's vaunted "46 Defense" helped the Bears destroy the New England Patriots 46-10 in Super Bowl XX....

...."It's a tough, physical, rough game," said ESPN's Mike Golic, who played for Ryan with the Eagles. "... And Buddy epitomized that style of play more than any other coach I had at any level. ... He wanted the results, and he put you in position to make plays.

"You loved playing for him because he coached the way you wanted to play the game: Attack mode. Attack, attack, attack. And if you don't think we're attacking much now, just wait and we're going to attack even more. Oh wait, you don't think we're blitzing enough, we're going to blitz more. We're going to hit you in the mouth. We're going to knock you down. They're going to have to carry you off the field. That was his mentality, and that's what you kind of absorbed as a player."

Re: RIP Buddy Ryan

RIP Buddy. I fall in the love him category.

Blog Entries

"You loved playing for him because he coached the way you wanted to play the game: Attack mode. Attack, attack, attack. And if you don't think we're attacking much now, just wait and we're going to attack even more. Oh wait, you don't think we're blitzing enough, we're going to blitz more. We're going to hit you in the mouth. We're going to knock you down. They're going to have to carry you off the field. That was his mentality, and that's what you kind of absorbed as a player."

Was that quote about Dean Pees?

R.I.P. Buddy Ryan, you were one-of-a-kind... Bc

Blog Entries

RIP Buddy Ryan

Great innovator. His D was eventually pushed out of the league with rule changes but even last year Rex had his team in the 4-6 as a tribute.

When the Bears won the Super Bowl the team carried Ditka off the field and the defense carried Buddy off.

Remember him getting into punching match on the sidelines with the Oilers
    One-of-a-kind

RIP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Buddy Ryan could have coached our D better than Pees.

*Bait is out*

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    Buddy Ryan could have coached our D better than Pees.

*Bait is out*
    He still can

*bait taken*
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post

Was that quote about Dean Pees?

R.I.P. Buddy Ryan, you were one-of-a-kind... Bc
    I'm kinda hoping it was TO Dean Pees and that maybe Harbaugh has planted that quote everywhere that Dean Pees walks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post

One-of-a-kind
    Pretty sure it was Kevin Gilbride on the receiving end of that punch.
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Great innovator. His D was eventually pushed out of the league with rule changes but even last year Rex had his team in the 4-6 as a tribute.

When the Bears won the Super Bowl the team carried Ditka off the field and the defense carried Buddy off.

One-of-a-kind

RIP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Very sad to hear of his passing. My favorite memory, like you mentioned was him calling Kevin Gilbrides run & shoot "That Chuck & Duck" Offense. Started a fist fight, lol. Truly a one of a kind guy.
    Let Joe Cool lead the way 😎

Quote Originally Posted by The Fanatic View Post
    I'm kinda hoping it was TO Dean Pees and that maybe Harbaugh has planted that quote everywhere that Dean Pees walks.

Pretty sure it was Kevin Gilbride on the receiving end of that punch.
    It was.

This absolutely sums it up in a nutshell for me.
    I'm talking to you Dean Pees!

Quarterbacks Must Be Punished

“A quarterback has never completed a pass when he was flat on his back,” Ryan wrote, via Chris B. Brown. “We must hit the QB hard and often. QBs are overpaid, overrated, pompous bastards and must be punished. Great pass coverage is a direct result of a great pass rush, and a great pass rush is simply a relentless desire to get to the QB. Never miss an opportunity to punish the opponent. We must dominate and intimidate the enemy. If the opponent is worried about you, he is not thinking about carrying out his offensive assignment. If you play aggressive, physical, and smart–you cannot be beaten.”
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

Bet Buddy wasn't too fond of brady for making the QBs untouchable, LOL.

Blog Entries

Marvin Lewis: 'Buddy Ryan had a huge impact on me'

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/spor...t-me/86467716/
    Let Joe Cool lead the way 😎