Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Meet Alex Lewis, OT, Nebraska

NFL.com

Strengths Has some toughness to his game and will meet a physical challenge. Has a clean, balanced set*up in pass protection and keeps his head back and hands punch*-ready. Generally uses well-*timed punch with inside hand coming first. Understands his physical limitations and sets out on defensive ends quickly to counter. Able to generate some play at the tackle spot.

Weaknesses Plodding feet limit him. Slow to step into angle blocks and has issues operating consistently on outside zone plays. Not quick enough to be counted on for reach blocks. Pad level too high to unlock hips for maximum leverage and pop in run game. Needs to get better at sinking hips as bull rush mounts. Play strength is very average and leads to balance issues. Will lunge rather than working feet into position. Punch needs to be more crisp and quick.

Draft Projection Rounds 5 or 6

Bottom Line Lewis has enough frame and length to stay at tackle, but will need to move over to the right side even though he may be able to offer average value as a swing tackle. Run blocking in space will always be a concern and his foot quickness could cause issues for him against NFL speed off the edge. There is enough there to work with Lewis as a backup tackle.
    CBS Sports

STRENGTHS: Has an adequate frame for the position with long arms and natural knee bend, keeping his feet moving and underneath him at all times. Resets well at the point of attack to anchor down and stay balanced. Shows the flexibility and quickness to sink and engage.

He moves well for a taller blocker and was one of the most consistent prospects on the West squad at the Shrine Game. Named team captain as a senior. Academic All-Big Ten in 2014.

WEAKNESSES: Has a lean lower body and can be put on his heels vs. power. Can get clunky in his kick-slide. Baggage on and off the field that will have some teams taking him off their draft boards entirely.

IN OUR VIEW: Lewis has the talent for the next level, but does he have the maturity and level head required for the NFL? He is an assignment sound blocker who gets the job done, but his baggage ? on and off the field ? will take him off several draft boards around the league.
    DraftInsider

Positive: Colorado transfer that's been a two-year starter, winning all-Conference honors since his junior season. Tall, left tackle prospect with next level skill. Quickly gets into blocks, jolts defenders with explosive hand punch and stays square. Keeps his feet moving, displays solid lateral range off the edge and controls opponents once engaged at the point of attack. Correctly places his hands into opponents, turns them from the line run blocking and makes great use of angles and body positioning.

Negative: Lacks the dominant lower body and struggles finishing run blocks. Not really explosive at the point of attack. Marginally effective blocking in motion. Had off the field issues at Colorado which resulted in arrest.

Analysis: Lewis showed steady progress in his game the past two seasons then turned in a terrific performance during Shrine Game practices. He offers a tremendous amount of upside and if focused on continually improving his game, Lewis could develop into a starter on Sunday.

Re: Meet Alex Lewis, OT, Nebraska

Lewis sounds like what Wagner was when we drafted him. A steady Tackle, with a bunch of starts under his belt.

I like they we got tackle depth. We have the inside depth between Urschel and Jensen.

Likely outlook:

Monroe-Stanley-Zuttah-Yanda-Wagner
    Jensen-Lewis-Urschel

Not bad, not bad at all
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Tony Pauline's buzz on Lewis a few weeks ago.

Alex Lewis, OT, Nebraska
    One tackle I'm told that will come off the board during the second day of the draft is Alex Lewis of Nebraska, and that will surprise many. I reported from the Shrine Game there was talk of Lewis landing in the second day, as teams love his upside. I'm told it's a situation where Lewis may end up playing guard as a rookie as he develops his game and physically matures before being kicked out to tackle.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    I like they we got tackle depth. We have the inside depth between Urschel and Jensen.

Likely outlook:

Monroe-Stanley-Zuttah-Yanda-Wagner
    Jensen-Lewis-Urschel

Not bad, not bad at all

Monroe is gone - his value is in his post June 1 release and his $6 Million cap savings. Money will be used to bring in a veteran corner

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Annapolis6686 View Post
    Monroe is gone - his value is in his post June 1 release and his $6 Million cap savings. Money will be used to bring in a veteran corner
    *ding* WINNNNNAH!

I love versatility in offensive linemen and Lewis certainly fits that mold. He'll be a nice chess piece for us early in his career, and he may even end up starting at LG. The B1G always puts out the best offensive linemen. Great pick.

Blog Entries

I see Lewis as a guard. I'm ok with that. He can compete for the LG spot and back up Wagner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

9. Meet Alex Lewis, OT, Nebraska

Yanda can't play forever

Drafting a dude who did time in the pokey for a bar fight that ended with a KO'd Air Force Cadet.... Damn John Harbaugh and his refusal to draft anyone but choir boys.

/s

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Drafting a dude who did time in the pokey for a bar fight that ended with a KO'd Air Force Cadet.... Damn John Harbaugh and his refusal to draft anyone but choir boys.

/s

DV > assaulting an officer

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    DV > assaulting an officer
    I'm not comparing them. I never mentioned DV. I'm addressing the idiotic meme that John Harbaugh only wants Angelic choir boys. Clearly this team is willing to take a chance on guys with troubled pasts. I think we're likely one of the more leery teams in terms of making sure that trouble really is in the past though.

My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron