Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 151617

Re: GAME THREAD - Ravens/Bengals II

When was the last game that "Film" did a technical study of the offense? I would like to read it for my own educational puposes.

Sorry purplebird, this and the Pittsburgh game were MUCH worse than the Denver game.

I must admit, despite however much crap I will get, that I do subscribe to the "Brian Billick's fault theory" more than McNair showing his age. I am not going to say I am correct when I am not however, which is why I would like to see what the film guy has to say. You guys who say it is just that McNair is old combined with Billick are probably right, but the thorough breakdown would be much more reassuring before throwing anyone under the bus.
    If the same playbook and plays are being called for both Boller and McNair, then McNair definitely has to go.

My opinion, which I am opening up to all logical criticism, is that he (McNair) hasn't thrown the longball because the plays Billick tells him to run do not put the recievers in longball position. The result of continually calling these plays and playing an extremely predictable passing ball control offense allows opposing defenses to look like the 2000 Ravens defense causing turnovers left and right as they know every play before it is called.

That being said, I don't actually think Billick is as "Mr. pro Steve Mcnair" as some people on this board have said, but I do believe he knows some very vocal players would mutiny (read Ray Lewis if McNair were removed for Kyle Boller). Of course it doesn't matter whol Billick really wants if his playcalling is destroying the offense more than any one individual's performance.

Quote Originally Posted by purple bird View Post
    I must admit, despite however much crap I will get, that I do subscribe to the "Brian Billick's fault theory" more than McNair showing his age. I am not going to say I am correct when I am not however, which is why I would like to see what the film guy has to say. You guys who say it is just that McNair is old combined with Billick are probably right, but the thorough breakdown would be much more reassuring before throwing anyone under the bus.
    If the same playbook and plays are being called for both Boller and McNair, then McNair definitely has to go.

My opinion, which I am opening up to all logical criticism, is that he (McNair) hasn't thrown the longball because the plays Billick tells him to run do not put the recievers in longball position. The result of continually calling these plays and playing an extremely predictable passing ball control offense allows opposing defenses to look like the 2000 Ravens defense causing turnovers left and right as they know every play before it is called.

That being said, I don't actually think Billick is as "Mr. pro Steve Mcnair" as some people on this board have said, but I do believe he knows some very vocal players would mutiny (read Ray Lewis if McNair were removed for Kyle Boller). Of course it doesn't matter whol Billick really wants if his playcalling is destroying the offense more than any one individual's performance.
    Maybe you turn off the TV right after the loss but stick around sometime and listen to the analysts ....

By a huge margin, they all say he same thing -- McNair is done! He dirts 5 yard check downs, has happy feat in the pocket and has only TWO throws past 20 yards ALL SEASON! Oh, and he leads the league in fumbles.

On to Billick, this team is the most penalized in league. The execute poorly and have not been the least bit prepared for any game this season.

To sum both up, they BOTH have to go!

Stinky,
    I do and have listened to the "analysts" and what they have to say, but not necessarily to form my opinion. Those guys see the teams once every 3 or four weeks and have to briefly look at what happened each game for every team and form a quick opinion. Their opinions (national analysts) are based really on what they have heard those more familiar with the team, such as local beat writers, say about the team. The analysts (again national analysts)know as much about the Ravens as we do, even less so. I really don't put much into their opinion.
    I couldn't agree more, however, that either Billick or McNair is to blame and has to go for stinking things up this bad, but I am not sure who it is. If you tell me x + y = 7 and ask me what y is, I cannot tell you the answer as there are 3 pieces to the puzzle and two of them are unknown. The analogy I am trying to draw is that we know one piece to a three part puzzle - the offense is a joke. The other two parts, McNair and Billick's part in making the offense what it is, are what I see as being unknown with the amount of access we as outsiders have to the information necessary to come to a logical conclusion about this.

I do not like the fact that my posts are starting to sound like a Billick postgame press conference!!

Thanks for the reply though

As an aside from the discussion from today's game, does anyone know what the status of Jack del Rio is with the Jaguars? I believe last year many were saying he was on the outs with the ownership there and the team was even on the outs with the city of Jacksonville. I am doubting, given the current success of the Jaguars, that del Rio would probably be free after this season, but has anyone heard anything more about the status of that team and its' head coach?