Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Dark Anniversary

Today, of course, is the anniversary of Irsay packing up his toys and booze and taking the Baltimore Colts to Indy.

If you count the one year that the original Baltimore Colts played in the NFL (1950), we currently stand at 32 years of Baltimore Colts, and 32 years of Indy Colts. 2016 will be a milestone - Indy will have had the Colts longer than we have (I realize some may quibble and point out that the AAFC Colts were here for 3 years, pushing that milestone off a few years).

I love the Ravens dearly and things have turned out OK, but damn, that memory as a kid hurts - and it still stings that the records of Johnny U and his crew don't reside here - where they belong.

Re: The Dark Anniversary

It's also the anniversary of the Ravens nickname. That's a more uplifting anniversary to celebrate. Things have worked out kind of okay. :-)

http://espn.go.com/blog/baltimore-ra...ades-ago-today

Oh....and fuck Jim Irsay.

"After moving the Browns in February 1996, Art Modell said he would offer $5 million to get the Colts nickname from Indianapolis. But Colts owner Jim Irsay responded with a price tag that ranged from $25 million to $50 million."
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    It's also the anniversary of the Ravens nickname. That's a more uplifting anniversary to celebrate. Things have worked out kind of okay. :-)

Oh....and fuck Jim Irsay.
    Agreed, and agreed.

Indy may have had the Colts for a while now, but in a shorter time, we've won one more Superbowl. I'll take that. I was also born the year the Colts left, so I didn't grow up knowing much about them except to hate the Irsays. I feel for my dad and others who went through those dark days without a team...I really can't imagine going through that now!

Blog Entries

Originally Posted by esmd :

Oh....and fuck Jim Irsay

Quote Originally Posted by Ngata Da Vida View Post
    Agreed, and agreed.
    Agreed and Greed... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by I Touchdown There View Post
    Indy may have had the Colts for a while now, but in a shorter time, we've won one more Superbowl. I'll take that. I was also born the year the Colts left, so I didn't grow up knowing much about them except to hate the Irsays. I feel for my dad and others who went through those dark days without a team...I really can't imagine going through that now!
    I was pretty young when the Colts left, and we were living in Germany on a military base. I remember coming home for Christmas the following year, still wearing all my colts winter gear. My Grandfather made me destroy that jacket (we burned it in the bbq pit in their back yard). All in all, we got the better end of the deal. I look so much better in purple anyway!

I still miss those colors and that logo. :-(
    That blue shape on the helmet, it's not a horseshoe, it's a U for Unitas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ngata Da Vida View Post
    Today, of course, is the anniversary of Irsay packing up his toys and booze and taking the Baltimore Colts to Indy.

If you count the one year that the original Baltimore Colts played in the NFL (1950), we currently stand at 32 years of Baltimore Colts, and 32 years of Indy Colts. 2016 will be a milestone - Indy will have had the Colts longer than we have (I realize some may quibble and point out that the AAFC Colts were here for 3 years, pushing that milestone off a few years).

I love the Ravens dearly and things have turned out OK, but damn, that memory as a kid hurts - and it still stings that the records of Johnny U and his crew don't reside here - where they belong.

finally figured out your avatar

I'm over it years ago, like when the ravens arrived after all that no nfl team in Baltimore time. It was good riddance to Irsay, let Indianapolis have him, LOL. I never look back at bad memories, life's too short to be miserable about the past. Except for a 8-8 and 5-11 season lately, Ravens have been fun.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    finally figured out your avatar
    The late great Chris Farley

I've always considered the 2000 team a matter of karma/retributive justice from the football gods against the NFL and in Baltimore's favor.

You want to take away football from Baltimore? Fine....but when we finally get a team back, you damn well better know we'll be hoisting a Lombardi within 5 years.

I always consider the 2012 Super Bowl team the first one we earned from scratch. 2000, we were entitled to that one from the football gods. It was the least they could do for Baltimore.

About the move, I partially blame the politicians in Annapolis who passed the "Emmint Domain" bill that would have had the state seize the team and probably giving Irsay Full Market Value. Bourbon Bob didn't want to let go of the franchise.