Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Re: Ravens to make SIGNIFICANT announcement at noon

Hey, I hope he is successful, but there have been stories for the past year he was calling plays anyway & butting heads w/ Fassel about it. The difference between him calling plays in 98 for the Vikings & us today is he had Cunningham, Carter, Moss & Robert Smith. The players in the Ravens offense don't = these guys

My youngest son Kyle w/ Michael Phelps after the Browms game 12/24/11

Season Ticket Holder Since 96,
    Loud, Proud & Purple in Section 504. GO RAVENS, all the way to Indy for the Lombardi!!!

I haven't been happy with Billick for quite some time but I'll give him this, he fired his very close friend to improve the football team. Whether it's the right move or not, Billick believes so and didn't shy away from it. That took guts. More importantly, he is putting himself right in the line of fire. No more buffers, sweet talk, serenades, etc. The offense will pass or fail directly on him for all to see. It's the most logical solution for now and for the future. I see Bisciotti's fingerprints on this but it's just conjecture, I don't have the great sources that some of you do.

In any case, I hope the entire team is bolstered by this and we go on a serious roll!

Billick fired his best friend because he knows if this keeps happening, it's his job at the end of the year. He figured if it's his butt, he wants the control on how it works out. I have no sources either, I'm just a season ticket holder sitting back & offering my 2 cents worth.

Loud, Proud & Purple in Section 504. GO RAVENS, all the way to Indy for the Lombardi!!!

Wasn't 99 the last time we showed any kind of offemse with Banks as the QB?

Our offense sure has sucked with Billick not calling the plays. I'm pretty psyched about what he can do.

Blog Entries

the reason it scares me is because I suspect sometime during Cavanaugh's tenure, BB DID call some plays and it didn't change a damn thing. He just didn't officially say he called them. At least that's what I suspect. I think if he really thought his playcalling was better, he would've done something before this drastic move. Like allowing Fassel to be OC while BB called the plays.

Any matter, this appears to now be the boom or bust year for BB. If this playcalling thing fails, he's out at year end.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by Purpleguy View Post
    Wasn't 99 the last time we showed any kind of offemse with Banks as the QB?

Our offense sure has sucked with Billick not calling the plays. I'm pretty psyched about what he can do.
    I think we had the Water Buffalo and Stoney Case for the first part of that season with Banks playing the latter part. Cavanaugh was already here when Banks was the starter.

Well...if Billick wasn't on the hot seat now damn...that seat is now an inferno. He will get fired if this team doesn't turn it around. Period. He has no one to blame for play calling now...it's all on his shoulders.
    M&T Bank Stadium - Section 513
    Proud Season Ticket Holder since 1998

Banks made some big plays but he would break your heart in crunch time.

1999 Ravens passing stats

Yes, 99 was the year of the "Leap of Faith"/Water Buffalo, followed by the Stony Case project, & then Banks, who threw for 17 TD's & only 8 INT's & the Ravens thought they found a QB. Of course it wasn't hard to show much offense after Teddy Football's last season w/ Harbaugh & Zier.
    Last edited by PARavensJeff; 10-17-2006 at 01:15 PM. Reason: forgot quotes

Quote Originally Posted by PARavensJeff View Post
    Yes, 99 was the year of the "Leap of Faith"/Water Buffalo, followed by the Stony Case project, & then Banks, who threw for 17 TD's & only 8 INT's & the Ravens thought they found a QB. Of course it wasn't hard to show much offense after Teddy Football's last season w/ Harbaugh & Zier.
    Actually, the offensive numbers were only slightly better in '99 than they were in '98 under Marchibroda.

Ravens offensive numbers - 1998

I agree, but after watching Marchobroda's offense after Vinny's 1st year & seeing Harbaugh have a rough time, Banks was like a breath of fresh air & 99 was our first year with a non-losing record.

Our defense started coming around as well in '99, we were no longer blowing 3 TD leads in the 4th quarter.

I have always thought that this team needed a "closer", particluarly with some of the QB's we've had. Vinny, Banks & a couple of others could throw for 900 yards in a game but seemed to melt at the end with a stupid mistake. We needed a "Mariano Rivera", we would have won a lot more. :D