Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The 2015 Draft Class

Obviously everyone's excited about the upcoming draft with the ravens picking in the top ten for the first time in ages, but I'd like to take a look back and examine how everyone would rate this past year's class.

Obviously it has a huge asterisk next to it from the get go due to the absence of Perriman, but it did produce some contributors. Williams seemed to be third in the TE rotation but played well today when called upon. Both him and Boyle are promising prospects. Allen was probably the best in the class and looks to be a legitimate threat out of the backfield going forward. Smith played admirably, really came on strong at the end of the season, and will probably give the FO cause to let Upshaw go without batting an eye.

Walker didn't get on the field much and remains a project. The same can be said about Waller.

That leaves Davis whom I saved for last because he is the most puzzling. After having a great training camp and making a few plays early in the season I was excited about his future. Then he disappears down the stretch. Did he even play the last few games? Did he get hurt and I just missed it? Is he the newest member of Harbaugh's doghouse? No clue what happened to that guy.

Anyway, I'm interested to hear everyone's take. This class definitely has a lot of potential and I'd probably stick it with a very average grade of C. What say you?

Re: The 2015 Draft Class

Average is about right, but that's got to be partially incomplete until we actually see Perriman on the field.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

If I remember right, Davis started losing playing time around the same time Jernigan started getting it back.
    Let's win the f**king game.
    Joe Flacco

I think Davis hit the rookie wall. He'll contribute next year.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticfury View Post
    If I remember right, Davis started losing playing time around the same time Jernigan started getting it back.
    And for some reason they don't wanna play Davis at the five tech. Wtf.
    Hi, I'm the 2000 Ravens defense and I have DirecTV.

And I'm the 2015 Ravens defense and I have cable

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    Average is about right, but that's got to be partially incomplete until we actually see Perriman on the field.
    Of course, no draft evaluation is complete until 3-4 years out

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Sedjro View Post
    My sentiments exactly. In fact, I see him and Jernigan as interchangeable at the 3 and the 5. I expected those two and Williams to be our starting three as the season progressed. Hopefully esmd is right

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Sedjro View Post
    That's like the number one characteristic of this defensive coaching staff, the last few years. They get this idea about what a guy looks like or whatever, and just won't use people creatively.

This draft would be looking great if Perriman contributed at all.

Maxx Williams did fine and started producing later in the season.....had a good game today.

Carl Davis looked good early. Got pushed down the depth chart as others got healthy. I think he'll be fine.

Za'Darius Smith looks pretty good so far too. Comparable to McPhee's rookie year.....in my opinion looks a little better.

Buck Allen looks like strictly a 3rd down RB. About what you would expect for fourth round value.

Can't comment on the rest. Boyle looked OK in limited action.

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    ...that's got to be partially incomplete until we actually see Perriman on the field.
    Lotta pressure for the kid to make an impact; we'll see what we'll see.

Have to like Buck Allen, Boyle & Maxx, Davis' 1st half, as well. But they showed no confidence in Tray Walker, bringing in all kinds of scrap heap instead of him.

Za'darius Smith ended the year on a high note

Rookie edge rusher Za’Darius Smith (+3.0) had an up-and-down year; however, he finished the season with a very promising performance. Smith was solid in run defense, and he was a real force rushing the passer. While he needed to go up against one of the best left tackles in the game in Andrew Whitworth (-2.1), Smith did not back down, and had success against the Bengals’*LT. Smith recorded one sack and two quarterback hurries, and all came as he bullrushed Whitworth into the backfield.
    He finished with 5.5 sacks (3rd amongst rookies and more than Bud Dupree). I'm not sure if the FO sees him eventually platooning like McPhee but he may end up being a full time starter because he doesn't have the history of knee problems like McPhee.

What I saw from Maxx is what I expect more of next year. He's gonna be a good one.

I'd have no problem depending on Buck as the starter. He's more of a threat in the passing game than any of the other backs.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Maxx is the 5th most productive 21 year-old TE to ever play the game.
    He's got a ton of work to do...strength, physicality, routes; but I think the ceiling is very high.

Davis looked quite JAGy to me.
    Buck looked solid behind a streaky offensive line and minimal receiving threat in support.
    ZadSmith could be something. I need to watch his film in the off-season.
    Boyle is a tough SOB. Hopefully, his stupidity is behind him.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver