Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: What's up with Matt Ryan and Kyle Shanahan?

Ryan's deep attempts as a % of overall attempts hovers around 7-8%, which is bottom 5 usually, around guys like Bradford and Alex Smith.

Regardless of who the coordinator has been or is.

It's not the coordinators issue. It's the QBs.

Matt Ryan isn't a bad QB, but is being exposed with only Julio Jones to bail him out. The past few years he didn't just have Jones, but Roddy White hadn't fallen off a cliff and he a HoF TE in Tony Gonzalez catching anything in a 5 mile radius. Add in the strong running game they had with Michael Turner and it's not easy to see why he's not replicating his early career play.

I know Ryan was meant to be our FO's first choice, to the extent they were considering trading up for him, but I really do believe he would've been a bust (maybe not a full blown bust, but one of Alex Smith proportions where he ends up going on to have a solid career but not close to living up to draft status) playing vs the Browns, Steelers and Bengals outside in the AFC North as opposed to a cosy dome against cupcake D's in the NFC South (Notwithstanding Carolina's D this year).

IIRC the line on Ryan / Flacco was Ryan had a higher floor and a lower ceiling, meaning Flacco might be a bust and Ryan wouldn't, but Flacco had the potential to be better, that Ryan would only be so good.
    like most qbs, in a dome with a passing offense and decent protection he puts up numbers. Ravens are all about AFC North grinding. No way Ryan puts up those numbers here.
    interesting, both should be at their peak, but both are struggling and dealing with lots of personnel changes, on and off the field.
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

Quote Originally Posted by sailorsam View Post
    IIRC the line on Ryan / Flacco was Ryan had a higher floor and a lower ceiling, meaning Flacco might be a bust and Ryan wouldn't, but Flacco had the potential to be better, that Ryan would only be so good.
    like most qbs, in a dome with a passing offense and decent protection he puts up numbers. Ravens are all about AFC North grinding. No way Ryan puts up those numbers here.
    interesting, both should be at their peak, but both are struggling and dealing with lots of personnel changes, on and off the field.
    Yea but Flacco has a SB MVP haha. This years struggles are a team problem.

Matt Ryan is average

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

The man couldn't even score a point against the Giants in the playoffs at the Meadowlands.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenblue View Post
    Matt Ryan isn't a bad QB, but is being exposed with only Julio Jones to bail him out. The past few years he didn't just have Jones, but Roddy White hadn't fallen off a cliff and he a HoF TE in Tony Gonzalez catching anything in a 5 mile radius. Add in the strong running game they had with Michael Turner and it's not easy to see why he's not replicating his early career play.

I know Ryan was meant to be our FO's first choice, to the extent they were considering trading up for him, but I really do believe he would've been a bust (maybe not a full blown bust, but one of Alex Smith proportions where he ends up going on to have a solid career but not close to living up to draft status) playing vs the Browns, Steelers and Bengals outside in the AFC North as opposed to a cosy dome against cupcake D's in the NFC South (Notwithstanding Carolina's D this year).
    9? guaranteed dome games a year if my math is right (i suck at math) + 1 in tampa so a limited amount of crappy weather games.

must be nice!

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Good chance matty ice never gets to the SB game, SMH.

9. Re: What's up with Matt Ryan and Kyle Shanahan?

Chad Pennington with a better supporting cast.

Ryan has come close to reaching the SB, in 2012 no less, but since then that team has fallen off of a cliff, going 16W-29L for a .356 win pct. in the last 2+ seasons.

[QUOTE=PerpetuallyBored74;1039727]Chad Pennington with a better supporting cast.

Ryan has come close to reaching the SB, in 2012 no less, but since then that team has fallen off of a cliff, going 16W
    Ouch. brutal stats for a QB that was doing so well in the years before that.

if Matty Ice struggled, imagine what would happen to Joe if we got Shanny last year...
    Matt Ryan - QB - Falcons

Matt Ryan admits OC Kyle Shanahan's system was "too much" for him at times this season.
    "I think that's for everyone, when you're learning something new and it's different, at times there's too much, right?" Ryan said. Ryan went on to say he thought the team finally had some "good plans" the final 5-6 weeks of the season, specifically the last three. It's a curious admission from a veteran quarterback who probably shouldn't be overwhelmed by any system at this point in his career. Of course, it's also odd Shanahan insisted on something his quarterback evidently wasn't comfortable with. The sides need to get on the same page this offseason. The Falcons' offense, which needed to carry the team, wasn't close to good enough in 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    if Matty Ice struggled, imagine what would happen to Joe if we got Shanny last year...
    Shanahan's Offense probably isn't anymore complicated than Kubiaks and Joe didn't have much of a problem picking it up. Maybe Matty Ice isn't the brainchild he's made out to be.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk