Thread: Manziel

Manziel

McCown is out of the game, and Brownies put in Austin Carr or whatever his name is, their other backup who isn't Manziel. Austin Davis. And Gruden wont shut up about it, babbling on about how the Browns need to get him on the field. The worst was when Gruden said, "This is hurting everybody. It's hurting the team, it's hurting the owner. Manziel needs to play."

Now, Gruden made some lip service about how the young man needs to make better decisions, whatever. But the clear implication of that "hurting the owner" statement was that Coach Pettine was "hurting the owner" by diminishing the value of the asset, by not letting the young QB get needed reps to develop his skills.

I think that is 100% bullshit. If Manizel ever develops into anything, Mike Pettine's tough love in setting standards and making Manziel adhere to them will be a HUGE factor. Pettine is handling Manziel exactly the way Manziel needs to be handled. Playing time is not handed to you, is earned. Pettine is imposing structure, which is exactly what the kid needs.

If Manziel turns into a player, Pettine will deserve a ton of the credit. He probably won't get it, but he will deserve it.

Re: Manziel

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    McCown is out of the game, and Brownies put in Austin Carr or whatever his name is, their other backup who isn't Manziel. Austin Davis. And Gruden wont shut up about it, babbling on about how the Browns need to get him on the field. The worst was when Gruden said, "This is hurting everybody. It's hurting the team, it's hurting the owner. Manziel needs to play."

Now, Gruden made some lip service about how the young man needs to make better decisions, whatever. But the clear implication of that "hurting the owner" statement was that Coach Pettine was "hurting the owner" by diminishing the value of the asset, by not letting the young QB get needed reps to develop his skills.

I think that is 100% bullshit. If Manizel ever develops into anything, Mike Pettine's tough love in setting standards and making Manziel adhere to them will be a HUGE factor. Pettine is handling Manziel exactly the way Manziel needs to be handled. Playing time is not handed to you, is earned. Pettine is imposing structure, which is exactly what the kid needs.

If Manziel turns into a player, Pettine will deserve a ton of the credit. He probably won't get it, but he will deserve it.
    Well, it should be pretty obvious given Johnny's recent incidents that Pettine's "structure", if it even made a difference at all, isn't what made Manziel a better player on the field. Taking a stand by benching a guy like that may be the right thing to do morally, but it certainly won't help you win football games.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Quote Originally Posted by GaTechRavens View Post
    Well, it should be pretty obvious given Johnny's recent incidents that Pettine's "structure", if it even made a difference at all, isn't what made Manziel a better player on the field. Taking a stand by benching a guy like that may be the right thing to do morally, but it certainly won't help you win football games.
    I think Jim is correct and in the long run it will help them win games in Manziel has it in him at all. If he doesn't nothing lost. But if Manziel has ANYTHING he must first act like a man and an NFL QB. He was handed the starting job and instead of spending his bye week resting, working out a bit, and studying for the next opponent he travels to Austin to party. He hasn't earned any vacation and given his "issues" and recent rehab shouldn't be drinking. And then to play it up for the camera? The guy is just either dumb as hell or needs a severe kick in the ass and Pettine is doing his best to give him one.

This was talked about in the pregame by Trent Dilfer, Ray Lewis and Steve Young.
    I think Dilfer summed it up best when he said that Manziel has been enabled his entire life growing up because of his athletic talent and therefore has never had to face any consequences for his actions off the field because everybody has essentially turned a blinds eye.

Whether or not they played Manziel right now or not the Browns aren't going anywhere this year so right now is as good as time as any if not better due to their record to teach him how to be a pro and lead a team.
    They have financial investment in this dude and believe he can play which is why they drafted him.
    In essense I know what Gruden is trying to say but I think the owner is the least of the individuals that should be of concern here.
    I think the entire team has to pay the price with this type of decision and Manziel will have to be accountable to his teammates that are having their livelyhood affected by this decision and Manziels decision to be an ass.
    These are grown men with familys that are putting themselves on the line trying to provide for their familys and achieve a life long goal they've worked all their lives to try and achieve.
    A far cry difference than having to answer to college teammates who are much about the partying themselves in many instances which most will never even see an NFL field as a player.
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

I like that Gruden called out Manziel, good chance his friends and family tell him about it. Kudos to Pettine for doing the right thing.

Also, Manziel now has that Rice thing, being talk about on primetime TV, being embarrassed nationally. Hope he straightens up and continues to seek help.