Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Coach's Challenges in the CFL applied to the NFL: Challenging Non-Called Penalties

I rarely watch the CFL, but living in Ottawa and watching the Redblacks get to the Grey Cup in the second year after an expansion seemed pretty thrilling. So I tuned in last night. It was actually a pretty good game, very exciting and some decent football (Not NFL level, but hey, not bad).

One thing I wanted to discuss. In the CFL there is a rule on Coach's Challenges that you can Challenge a play where a penalty was not called and ask for the review on the play, if a penalty was deemed to occur then the penalty can be applied.

So, with that mind, what happened last night (can't find a video): 3 minutes left and Edmonton has the ball. Reilly (EDM's QB) launches a bomb and Ottawa's corner got beat hard and committed some obvious looking PI. HOWEVER, no flag was thrown and it was deemed by the ref's to be a clean play. However, Edmonton's coach challenged the play, the review deemed there was defensive PI and the penalty was applied. This put Edmonton on the 10 yard line with 3 minutes left, they scored, went up 26-20 and went on to win the game.

So my question, what would you guys think if this kind of Coach's challenge (challenging non-called penalties) was applied to the NFL?

To me, I don't like it. I think refs should be asked to do their job. It is concerning how bad the reffing has been across the NFL this year, but this seems almost too extreme to me. Thoughts?
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

Re: Coach's Challenges in the CFL applied to the NFL: Challenging Non-Called Penalties

they need to do something they are losing the integrity of game fast, but goodell has been losing the integrity of the game for a long time now. The amount of bad/missed calls this year have been down right atrocious.

Re: Coach's Challenges in the CFL applied to the NFL: Challenging Non-Called Penalties

You could find a penalty on nearly every play. I'd rather they be able to challenge penalties that were called to make sure it was a penalty.

Replay was supposed to be a panacea in the NFL. We were going to use technology to eliminate bad calls. It hasn't worked. In fact, I would argue, it has had the opposite effect. More calls are blown now than ever. I would be opposed to expanding replay in any way, shape, or form.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    Replay was supposed to be a panacea in the NFL. We were going to use technology to eliminate bad calls. It hasn't worked. In fact, I would argue, it has had the opposite effect. More calls are blown now than ever. I would be opposed to expanding replay in any way, shape, or form.
    I was saying the same shit yesterday

I agree, but given how bad it's been this year and with a lot of complaints. I could see the NFL looking at something like this. It's being "tested" in a professional league and for the most part, it's been pretty accepted. I was sooooo pissed last night. Thought it was absoltue bullshit
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

I dunno about that. Are you saying refs are somehow intentionally blowing calls because replay is there to fall back on? Doesn't really make sense to me.

I think everything should be reviewable, but we need comprehensive reform of the NFL officiating system. It's gotten really bad. I read a tweet somewhere that many NFL HC's are talking about it and all of them are calling for the head of officiating to be fired. I think him not clarifying rules for officials and not disciplining them properly has a lot more to do with the struggles than replay.

Blog Entries

I doubt they do anything,they haven't done shit about anything else so far, but they may now since it happen to the Pats and the Overlord Robert Kraft will not stand for that ..smh

I don't like it. The game has slowed down enough with all the penalties (especially that stupid defensive holding call...when it is soft and doesn't even affect the play). No need to allow more challenges. All that does is add more TV commercials...which is probably why the NFL will do it.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

If the play is not clear to see , it should be reviewed. College does it, why not nfl. About delaying the game, so be it, get the call right.
    Any penalty in last 2 minutes of close game should be reviewed also if the coach requests it. Get it right and then the refs will not have to worry about saying they blew a call that affected the outcome of the game.

Blog Entries

Sorry, didn't realize you were a Redblack fan, I was pulling for the Eskimos (and the Stampeders last year)
    Gave me something nice to watch in place of SNF with Cheatriots

You are bringing up a loaded question, but very interesting.

Technically, the play on the field was called wrong, and wrong calls can be challenged.
    In that case the wrong call was a no-call something the official missed

I like it, for the NFL, it still would have to be conclusive evidence so a lot of possible pass interference would just stand as non-conclusive and just cost a challenge, so I don't think it would make things messier

But there are things like a jersey being pulled that can be shielded from the linesman's eyes that mak be winnable, and an occasional facemask

The challenge by Chris Jones surprised me in that it was even possible but I loved it when I understood what was happening.
    The play was the championship game changer, and the defender did whatever he could to stop it, absolutely crossing the Frank Walker line into illegal

a ball thrown by Mike Reilly to Derel Walker with Brandon Sermons covering — was ruled an incomplete pass on the field. Edmonton coach Chris Jones, who hadn’t made a successful challenge all season long, believed Sermons interfered with Walker. The replay judges agreed.
    http://www.ottawasun.com/2015/11/30/...-for-redblacks

A referee can control/decide a game just as much by not blowing the whistle as by blowing it
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Tthe game is already damn near impossible to watch as it is with all the penaltys, blown calls, missed calls and challenges.
    You add in some crap like what you say happened in Canada last night the game would take 6 hours to complete.

Since it appears the players are now being held to a higher standard of how they play and are penalized both on the field and in their wallets in many cases the officials should be held to a higher standard as well as far as consitancy in calls, knowing the rules, etc.
    That is the only way I see some of what we've been seeing fixed or at least improved rather than continueing on a regressing path.
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!