Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

For Flacco's Sake...keep Trestman...long term

All season we've heard from pundits about the difficulties the offense has had trying to switch gears every year with offensive coaching staffs. This is particularly important for Flacco. Next year (his 9th season) he will have worked under Cam Cameron, Jim Caldwell, Gary Kubiak, and now Mark Trestman. That's an average of a new system and new play caller every two years. That's tough go on Joe and likely even tougher on younger players.

I think we saw that Trestman knows how to get the most out of a lackluster bunch. My hope is that they look at the things that worked with Kubiak's offense (blocking scheme/stretch run) and implement it into Trestman's passing design.

Folks wonder why Tom Brady has been so prolific for as long as he has and why he is able to work with many different receivers. Well, a lot of it has to do with the fact that he has been in the same offensive system his entire career.

Charlie Weiss, then Josh McDaniels (who came up under Weiss), then Bill O'Brien (who worked with McDaniels and Weiss), and then back to McDaniels.

Trestman is 59 and has had stints as a HC before. I don't see him getting many more HC opportunities. For Flacco's sake, I think they need to keep Trestman around and hire someone to be his assistant that can eventually take over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Re: For Flacco's Sake...keep Trestman...long term

Yes! Yes! Yes! This is what needs to be done in the offseason and i hope to God they do this, Trestman and Harbaugh need to go in the lab, Harbaugh needs to start evolving as a HC (can't stress that enough) him and the Trest need to implement a system not just Trest's system but a RAVEN system, a system for Joe Flacco, tailor it to his strengths, and see what his weakness are and build a fail safe when those weakness occur. Test this system, make it tried and true, learn every detail there is about your QB and system test it against ever single defensive look you know there is to man in the NFL. There will be growing pains but stick with it, lastly bring in position can coaches that is familiar with the system and know what players you need to run this system. So if Trest gets an opportunity to go to another team you position coaches are poised to take over and it's the system not the coaches that dictate the success of your offense. Since John Harbaugh is the constant denominator he needs to BE THE SYSTEM. This is where the revolving door will stop, this is when you start having continuity and this is where Joseph Flacco will be the QB we all know he can be.

This is the blueprint

Flacco has been abused with so many OC's in his career. Trestman had Flacco on track with more yardage then ever and probably the worst receivers to work with. Granted the wins didn't come but the games were close. Trestman is way better then kubiak, those losss last year , some were not close at all. Trestman gets a pass this year.

But, if Flacco has a great year , next year, good chance Trestman leaves. Kraft pays the money to keep good coaches, why that doesn't happen with the Ravens is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    All season we've heard from pundits about the difficulties the offense has had trying to switch gears every year with offensive coaching staffs. This is particularly important for Flacco. Next year (his 9th season) he will have worked under Cam Cameron, Jim Caldwell, Gary Kubiak, and now Mark Trestman. That's an average of a new system and new play caller every two years. That's tough go on Joe and likely even tougher on younger players.

I think we saw that Trestman knows how to get the most out of a lackluster bunch. My hope is that they look at the things that worked with Kubiak's offense (blocking scheme/stretch run) and implement it into Trestman's passing design.

Folks wonder why Tom Brady has been so prolific for as long as he has and why he is able to work with many different receivers. Well, a lot of it has to do with the fact that he has been in the same offensive system his entire career.

Charlie Weiss, then Josh McDaniels (who came up under Weiss), then Bill O'Brien (who worked with McDaniels and Weiss), and then back to McDaniels.

Trestman is 59 and has had stints as a HC before. I don't see him getting many more HC opportunities. For Flacco's sake, I think they need to keep Trestman around and hire someone to be his assistant that can eventually take over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I got no problem with keeping Trestman if they elect to.

If they do though, Harbs, Ozzie, Trestman, Joe and whomever else you wanna include need to huddle in a room and get on the same damn page. Personnel guys like Ozzie and Eric need to be drafting guys who fit that offense. Trestman needs to let Joe have significant input as well. All these guys need to have a clear understanding of what they are doing and the type of personnel needed to get it done. I know that sounds like an obvious thing, honestly though, at times watching the product on the field, I wonder if there is some disconnect there.

I want the same thing to happen on the defensive side of the ball. When you have the type of season this organization has had, its best to not assume anything and make sure from the top to the bottom, everyone is on the same page and everyone has the same understanding of the way its gonna get done. There is a lot of work for this organization to do, they cannot afford to waste picks and make the same mistakes that have lead to this point.
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

I believe as far as an offensive mind Trestman is light years better than Kubiak.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenous1 View Post
    I got no problem with keeping Trestman if they elect to.

If they do though, Harbs, Ozzie, Trestman, Joe and whomever else you wanna include need to huddle in a room and get on the same damn page. Personnel like Ozzie and Erick need to be drafting guys who fit that offense. Trestman needs to let Joe have significant input as well. All these guys need to have a clear understanding of what they are doing and the type of personnel needed to get it done. I know that sounds like an obvious thing, honestly though, at times watching the product on the field, I wonder if there is some disconnect there.

I want the same thing to happen on the defensive side of the ball. When you have the type of season this organization has had, its best to not assume anything and make sure from the top to the bottom, everyone is on the same page and everyone has the same understanding of the way its gonna get done. There is a lot of work for this organization to do, they cannot afford to waste picks and make the same mistakes that have lead to this point.
    Cosign every bit of this

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    All season we've heard from pundits about the difficulties...
    100%.

The revolving door of systems and system architects needs to stop.
    Which other top 10, routine playoff winning QB has ever endured such fuqery?

System Stability + Strong OL play + No less than two reliable pass catchers = Joe-mentum
    And without anomalies such as the 2014 IR list, Joe-mentum alone can get you deep into January.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenous1 View Post
    Personnel guys like Ozzie and Eric need to be drafting guys who fit that offense.
    That's a prescription for a lot of busts. The Patriots have been consistently successful because they draft BPA and adjust the scheme to the roster. It's the same offensive system, but they've run more versions of the Erhardt-Perkins over Brady's career than Carter has liver pills. They've been a run-heavy, ball control team that squeaks out wins and a high-scoring "greatest show on turf" threat. Nowadays they're dink-and-dunk with enough runs to keep the pass rushers honest until the defense creeps up.

The best coaches adjust the strengths of their players. We've not seen that often here. Billick tried to shove his Vikings offense onto players who weren't named Carter and Moss, and we ended up with more than a decade of inconsistency. Cameron was the epitome of this: given a wide receiver corps of Mason, Boldin,and Houshmandzadeh he continued to rely on developing one-on-one match-ups down the sideline.

On the defensive side of the ball, we had the opposite with Lewis and Ryan adapting the scheme to the talent they had.

I don't know that we're getting that from Trestman. We have big receivers (finally!), and I'm not seeing plays being called that play to that strength. Perhaps now that Smith Sr. is out we'll see more, but I don't think we have so far. I just don't know if it's Trestman or Flacco when it comes to that.

Quote Originally Posted by bacchys View Post
    That's a prescription for a lot of busts. The Patriots have been consistently successful because they draft BPA and adjust the scheme to the roster. It's the same offensive system, but they've run more versions of the Erhardt-Perkins over Brady's career than Carter has liver pills. They've been a run-heavy, ball control team that squeaks out wins and a high-scoring "greatest show on turf" threat. Nowadays they're dink-and-dunk with enough runs to keep the pass rushers honest until the defense creeps up.

The best coaches adjust the strengths of their players. We've not seen that often here. Billick tried to shove his Vikings offense onto players who weren't named Carter and Moss, and we ended up with more than a decade of inconsistency. Cameron was the epitome of this: given a wide receiver corps of Mason, Boldin,and Houshmandzadeh he continued to rely on developing one-on-one match-ups down the sideline.

On the defensive side of the ball, we had the opposite with Lewis and Ryan adapting the scheme to the talent they had.

I don't know that we're getting that from Trestman. We have big receivers (finally!), and I'm not seeing plays being called that play to that strength. Perhaps now that Smith Sr. is out we'll see more, but I don't think we have so far. I just don't know if it's Trestman or Flacco when it comes to that.
    What prevents us from playing jump ball is that our big receivers don't play big.
    None of them muscle, lever or fight before and during the catch.
    Gillmore is the best on the squad, but even he needs quite a bit of work in this department.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    100%.

The revolving door of systems and system architects needs to stop.
    Which other top 10, routine playoff winning QB has ever endured such fuqery?

System Stability + Strong OL play + No less than two reliable pass catchers = Joe-mentum
    And without anomalies such as the 2014 IR list, Joe-mentum alone can get you deep into January.
    Getting Joe some weapons is essential. I am optimistic that Perriman will be one of those weapons. I would love to see the Ravens grab a guy like Doctson, Coleman, Mike Williams, Robinson, or similar guy with upside in the 2nd. I would then add in a vet along the lines of Rueben Randle and fill it out with whomever you like out of Aiken, Butler, Campanaro or another pick later in the draft etc. Combined with our TE's, that has the makings of a good and relatively young offense with room to grow. There is enough pretty decent looking WR's with upside that you could potentially get yourself a guy who you can argue is as talented as Perriman is or more at the top of the 2nd IMO. Especially if your looking for a dynamic possession WR type, there are few who could fit that bill nicely.

This approach still allows you to use that 1st on an impact defensive player and plenty of picks in the 3rd and beyond to further address the defense.
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

I'm sure they want continuity but this small ball game is shit. Constant 3 and outs and stalling in the red zone.
    Drives me crazy how many times we see the fullback in the flat pass and dink / dunk. Joe has a big arm and they should take advantage of it.

Every time I go to Chicago they laugh their asses off and say they hope we keep Trestman forever. I think they're on to something... but time will tell.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

We'll its not like chicago's offense have been any better since he left their biggest problem is their QB