Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

a football life: paul brown

so Art Modell is blamed for the demise of the browns. him and brown never coexisted and art ended up pushing him out wit the support of the players.
    what have you heard?

Blog Entries

Re: a football life: paul brown

I missed that but I will definitely watch it later. Cleveland 95 is on tonight too, great documentary of their last year before the move to Baltimore

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I missed that but I will definitely watch it later. Cleveland 95 is on tonight too, great documentary of their last year before the move to Baltimore

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

yea thats a great one
    one of my favorites

Blog Entries

I will absolutely check that one out. Paul Brown is one of the greatest football minds ever. The modern game wouldn't exist without him. Did he piss off his players and ownership? Absolutely but that was not unusual back in those days. Vince Lombardi was much the same way. These great coaches had a vision and forced their players into that. Other like Hank Stram were great motivators and more flexible but Hank didn't win the way the hard ass coaches did.

pau brown was fine until art model bought the team and they clashed after...at least thats what the piece is saying

Did it go into the way Paul Bown fucked Bill Walsh? Lying to other owners about how he was as a coach and basically keeping him under lock & key so he couldn't get a head coaching job?

Walsh went to Stanford to get out from under Brown's thumb, and eventually got the head job in San Francisco from there.

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Did it go into the way Paul Bown fucked Bill Walsh? Lying to other owners about how he was as a coach and basically keeping him under lock & key so he couldn't get a head coaching job?

Walsh went to Stanford to get out from under Brown's thumb, and eventually got the head job in San Francisco from there.
    Yes. It did cover the time when Brown had to choose between Walsh and some other older asst. coach. The coach he chose did poorly and was out of the league in 3 years.

Blog Entries

Pretty interesting back to back episodes centering on Cleveland. Art Modell was right and had no choice but to leave. That's on the politicians in Cleveland. But the fans of Cleveland got screwed. But its always the fans that get screwed. Hard to believe Cleveland had Bill Belichick and Ozzie Newsome working in the same organization in '95. The best head coach and GM of the past 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by ERey View Post
    Pretty interesting back to back episodes centering on Cleveland. Art Modell was right and had no choice but to leave. That's on the politicians in Cleveland. But the fans of Cleveland got screwed. But its always the fans that get screwed. Hard to believe Cleveland had Bill Belichick and Ozzie Newsome working in the same organization in '95. The best head coach and GM of the past 15 years.
    Eh...they had a rough couple of months.

We got a decade plus of no hope, our ex-team still playing in the uniform we grew up to love and root for every Sunday, and told to go build a museum.

Him and Bill Walsh innovated and ruined the quarterback position.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    Eh...they had a rough couple of months.

We got a decade plus of no hope, our ex-team still playing in the uniform we grew up to love and root for every Sunday, and told to go build a museum.
    True. While I'm pretty sure no one in Baltimore was overly thrilled in the manner we got a team and could commiserate with the fans in Cleveland, they had it nowhere near as bad as we did.

Cool Re: a football life: paul brown

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post

And in all honesty, I think Bill Walsh became a far better coach than Paul Brown ever was!