Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Just read that the Ravens have only drafted 21 wide receivers in 20 years in the league.

only 3 in the first round and only 4 in the first two rounds. How the hell can that be? And we wonder why our passing game has been atrocious since we've been in existence. That isn't even enough of a sample size to say we are bad at drafting receivers.

This actually means that there were whole drafts in which a wide receiver wasn't even selected.

:grbac::grbac::grbac:

Re: Just read that the Ravens have only drafted 21 wide receivers in 20 years in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by dscola31 View Post
    only 3 in the first round and only 4 in the first two rounds. How the hell can that be? And we wonder why our passing game has been atrocious since we've been in existence. That isn't even enough of a sample size to say we are bad at drafting receivers.

This actually means that there were whole drafts in which a wide receiver wasn't even selected.

:grbac::grbac::grbac:

And can you believe that we've only won 2 Super Bowls in the aforementioned 20 years?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Crazy!

:grbac:

Re: Just read that the Ravens have only drafted 21 wide receivers in 20 years in the league.

I hate losing seasons.

I'm confused about the sarcasm. I said nothing about superbowls or winning seasons. I'm one of the homers this board chastises on a daily basis, so you 2 can chill with the winning percentage nonsense that is irrelevant to the thread. I just find it odd and eyepopping that this is true. I know there were drafts where we drafted 2 and 3 receivers so the fact that only 21 have been drafted in total is amazing to me.

How many of them have had a great career with the Ravens. Amazing stat, thanks, I'm sure most never knew. Makes you wonder what happened. Oh yea, Fire Pees, SMH.

How does that relate to the other 31 teams in the past 20 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Purplenemesis View Post
    How does that relate to the other 31 teams in the past 20 years?
    I have no clue. I do know many have been clamering for skill position players on offense and defense since the early 2000's Just off the top of my head, I think we've only drafted 4 CB's in the first three rounds as well (Starks, McCalister, Webb, and Smith) but I could be wrong about that. Ozzie is a mater draftnik but that is rather mindblowing to me.

I show 23 of 162 total picks (not including the supplemental pick of Gaither), which considering our philosophy and the fact that WRs only make up about 2 or 3 out of 22 starters (not including STs), seems totally unsurprising.

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    I show 23 of 162 total picks (not including the supplemental pick of Gaither), which considering our philosophy and the fact that WRs only make up about 2 or 3 out of 22 starters (not including STs), seems totally unsurprising.
    I was't sure if it was bad or good but in the context of numbers, it seemed rather low. Do you know how it relates to other teams on average?

2015 1 26 Breshad Perriman
    2015 6 204 Darren Waller
    2014 7 218 Michael Campanaro
    2013 7 238 Aaron Mellette
    2012 6 198 Tommy Streeter
    2011 2 58 Torrey Smith
    2011 4 123 Tandon Doss
    2010 5 156 David Reed
    2008 4 106 Marcus Smith
    2008 7 215 Justin Harper
    2007 3 74 Yamon Figurs
    2006 4 111 Demetrius Williams
    2005 1 22 Mark Clayton
    2004 3 82 Devard Darling
    2004 6 199 Clarence Moore
    2004 7 244 Derek Abney
    2002 4 123 Ron Johnson
    2002 6 206 Javin Hunter
    2000 1 10 Travis Taylor
    1999 4 105 Brandon Stokley
    1998 2 42 Patrick Johnson
    1996 5 153 Jermaine Lewis
    1996 6 186 James Roe

Quote Originally Posted by dscola31 View Post
    I was't sure if it was bad or good but in the context of numbers, it seemed rather low. Do you know how it relates to other teams on average?
    Not sure, but I would bet that teams like the Packers, Saints, Colts have us beat by a handful or more. Plus, I think total number isn't as important as the weighting of the picks, where the round and overall pick rank is considered. To me, ten 7th round WRs do not even equal a single 1st round WR.

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    Not sure, but I would bet that teams like the Packers, Saints, Colts have us beat by a handful or more. Plus, I think total number isn't as important as the weighting of the picks, where the round and overall pick rank is considered. To me, ten 7th round WRs do not even equal a single 1st round WR.
    Thanks for the research. Goes to show that there Ozzie really doesn't place much value in receivers.