Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Shuffling WR position

So we all agree Aiken and Brown are useless. Joe doesn't trust them at all. Our offense is run through SSR and the Tight Ends.

In 2 WR sets we should be starting SSR and Waller. Even though Waller is a 6th round Rookie he offers the same floor as Aiken and Brown - that is a few catches per game if we are lucky. BUT his ceiling is much higher. He can at least threaten defenses deep and try to draw PI flags even if he doesn't catch the ball. Also he is a very good blocker and if he is a decoy he is a plus in the run game.

In 3 WR set we should be starting Camp along side SSR and Waller. Camp is probably the best route runner outside SSR and has better hands than Aiken and Brown. He seems to play bigger than his size and should offer a nice chain moving option for Joe.

I think this should be our personnel in 2 and 3 WR sets. Aiken and Brown have shown nothing so far. Nothing.

Re: Shuffling WR position

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    So we all agree Aiken and Brown are useless. Joe doesn't trust them at all. Our offense is run through SSR and the Tight Ends.

In 2 WR sets we should be starting SSR and Waller. Even though Waller is a 6th round Rookie he offers the same floor as Aiken and Brown - that is a few catches per game if we are lucky. BUT his ceiling is much higher. He can at least threaten defenses deep and try to draw PI flags even if he doesn't catch the ball. Also he is a very good blocker and if he is a decoy he is a plus in the run game.

In 3 WR set we should be starting Camp along side SSR and Waller. Camp is probably the best route runner outside SSR and has better hands than Aiken and Brown. He seems to play bigger than his size and should offer a nice chain moving option for Joe.

I think this should be our personnel in 2 and 3 WR sets. Aiken and Brown have shown nothing so far. Nothing.
    I dont think it really even matters at this point.

We have Steve smith, and then the rest of the wR core. Might as well line you or I out there. They cant get open, our line cant hold up against a rush and our defense cant stop a scout team

Blog Entries

No reason why they can't run some curl routes and bubble screens to Camp. I see every other team doing this, especially when the D is loading the box. Let the pass rush in and dump it over their head.

We've seen Pitt's secondary, they're not much more than ours. Test them dammit!

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    I dont think it really even matters at this point.

We have Steve smith, and then the rest of the wR core. Might as well line you or I out there. They cant get open, our line cant hold up against a rush and our defense cant stop a scout team
    how many times did you see flacco go deep on sunday? usually he goes deep 4 or so times per game. waller has speed to at least scare someone. aiken and brown cant. clay aiken and brown should not be starting for this team

I don't agree that Aiken and Brown are useless. Joe just doesn't look their way. They do get open, for instance Marlon Brown had a 21 yard reception on 3rd and 21. He was also open on a 3rd and short early in the game but Joe threw it behind him.

Blog Entries

I don't disagree but it would be very simple to switch some of these guys around and we haven't seen them even try it. Campanaro is barely on the field. Waller is never on the field. I don't see anything changing until the bye if ever. Maybe Aiken lights it up in practice while the others aren't impressive? We all read that piece about Camp taking some of Brown's snaps and it just didn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenstatsman View Post
    I don't agree that Aiken and Brown are useless. Joe just doesn't look their way. They do get open, for instance Marlon Brown had a 21 yard reception on 3rd and 21. He was also open on a 3rd and short early in the game but Joe threw it behind him.
    whats point of having them there if Joe doesnt look their way. aiken played major snaps last week and only had 1 target with 0 receptions

how many times did you see flacco go deep on sunday? usually he goes deep 4 or so times per game. waller has speed to at least scare someone. aiken and brown cant. clay aiken and brown should not be starting for this team
    Are you going by Waller 40 time only because his 40 time is quite similar to Aikens. Waller may have some speed but no defense is going to be afraid of him until he actually make plays going deep. No body was afraid of Torrey Smith when he started his first game against The Rams .

Blog Entries

So we all agree Aiken and Brown are useless.
    no.

I think Aiken has struggled adjusting. Brown is playing fine, but hes the 3rd or 4th option. Gilmore is the 2nd option and forsett is the 3rd option on most plays. Flacco doesnt have time to go through that deep on his progressions. hes really only got 1 or 2 in him at most, which is why Sr, his typical first option, is getting so many targets, not trust or inability to get open, as replays have shown plenty of times the other WRs getting open but Flacco needing to get rid of it before. The issue is more about our OL than WR or QB. we need to get that fixed before we can even accurately assess our WRs.

That said, im not opposed to mixing some of these guys even more. I think Camp gives us a lot as a Sr. clone. use him to spell Sr once in awhile to lessen wear at the very least. Waller is to green. I havent seen enough from him to justify playing over anybody. Id like to see him in the redzone more and maybe a few plays to try and take the top off as well, but at the end of the day I feel Sr, Gilmore, Williams, Brown, Camp and Forsett are our best options and they should be getting the bulk, which they are for the most part. really only change I see is Aiken getting less and Camp getting more but even then im not sure of it, as he falls under very similar conditions as Marlon, imo.

Perrimen will change this hierarchy when (or if) he gets healthy. Hes an immediate starter at this point simply due to his skill set.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

I'd like to see Buck Allen lined up as the slot receiver from time to time, with Forsett in the backfield. Sort of like what teams have done with Sproles in the past. He is a pretty good receiver, and could be effective if they got him the ball in the open field. I think the Ravens need to get more creative in their passing game.
    “When the sea was calm, all ships alike showed mastership in floating.”- William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    no.

I think Aiken has struggled adjusting. Brown is playing fine, but hes the 3rd or 4th option. Gilmore is the 2nd option and forsett is the 3rd option on most plays. Flacco doesnt have time to go through that deep on his progressions. hes really only got 1 or 2 in him at most, which is why Sr, his typical first option, is getting so many targets, not trust or inability to get open, as replays have shown plenty of times the other WRs getting open but Flacco needing to get rid of it before. The issue is more about our OL than WR or QB. we need to get that fixed before we can even accurately assess our WRs.

That said, im not opposed to mixing some of these guys even more. I think Camp gives us a lot as a Sr. clone. use him to spell Sr once in awhile to lessen wear at the very least. Waller is to green. I havent seen enough from him to justify playing over anybody. Id like to see him in the redzone more and maybe a few plays to try and take the top off as well, but at the end of the day I feel Sr, Gilmore, Williams, Brown, Camp and Forsett are our best options and they should be getting the bulk, which they are for the most part. really only change I see is Aiken getting less and Camp getting more but even then im not sure of it, as he falls under very similar conditions as Marlon, imo.

Perrimen will change this hierarchy when (or if) he gets healthy. Hes an immediate starter at this point simply due to his skill set.
    what exactly is aiken having trouble adjusting to?

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz1988 View Post
    Are you going by Waller 40 time only because his 40 time is quite similar to Aikens. Waller may have some speed but no defense is going to be afraid of him until he actually make plays going deep. No body was afraid of Torrey Smith when he started his first game against The Rams .
    waller has a higher floor and ceiling than aiken imo. aiken offers nothing. he cant fight for the ball either